Cancelling Amex Cards - what happens to booked Free Flights/Travel Credit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizey

I've searched for an answer for this, but I'm wanting to know definitively what happens if I close down an Amex (Explorer/Velocity Plat) BEFORE travel that has been booked using the free flight/travel credit has been taken?

Eg. I've got flights booked for late December using the $400 Explorer credit. Does this booking still stand if I cancel the Explorer card now? Same goes with the Velocity Plat.

Not really an option to hold off cancelling one of the cards until after the travel takes place - the dates dont work to maximise the benefit of the Qantas Amex deal currently on.

I had the Amex Velocity Platinum card, booked my complimentary flights and cancelled the card a week prior to the outbound flight. No issues with the flights.

I asked the same question in another thread and several replies confirmed that once flights are booked, there is no issue cancelling the card.

Sweet as! Hopefully the old credit file holds up for this last battering of bonus points for this year.

I assume that if you've booked/taken the flight then there is no chance of a pro-rata refund of the annual fee?

Have people have successful with Amex waivering the fee on the annual fee with this card. I am considering cancelling but will retain it if they do.

BRe: Cancelling Amex Cards - what happens to booked Free Flights/Travel Credit?

I previously had an AMEX ultimate card with a flight booked in the future wheen I cancelled the card. Without asking I was offered a full refund (within 3 months of activation). However, this was probably a mistake on their behalf.

Took the flight a couple of months later, no problems at all.

Re: BRe: Cancelling Amex Cards - what happens to booked Free Flights/Travel Credit?

I have cancelled this card when previously held several and had and no issues with flights which were booked in the future. I am about to cancel again (again with a future flight booked). I have realised tho that if I cancel before the end of Jan (which I want to do so I can apply for an Explorer) I will have around 1800 Velocity points left behind. Has anyone asked / been able to have Velocity points transferred to Velocity or Ascent program (I have a PE as well) mid statement cycle when cancelling the card but not not leaving Ame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back