Cancel/transfer but keep credit limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschmid

I am holding a Platinum credit card but I am fed up with the useless service hence want to transfer to the Blue Sky card with no annual fee - I want to keep a AMEX card just in case I ever want to return to them - who knows.

Anyway my question is does somebody know if there is a way that I cancel my Plat card and transfer to the Blue Sky without losing my credit limit.

If I look at the application form there is an option to say cancel my existing card and transfer to the card, but that does not mention anything about the credit limit.

Has anybody done that before: Cancelled a card via a new application and can tell me if their old credit limit was transferred to the new card?

Many thanks!

I have just done something similar recently. I rang up Amex and asked to cancel my Qantas Amex Premium card as I already now hold an Earth Card. And as I had an existing Amex Gold credit card with no annual fee that I hardly use, I also asked that the credit limit be transferred to the Gold card.

They did that with no problem.

It was a rather painless process and did not even get the hard sell from them to keep the Qantas Premium card. The GFC is really biting, I would say.

cheers

I did the same when I recently cancelled my AMEX Plat credit card (due to not earning QF points) and transferred the credit limit onto the Amex QF Premium Card. This was painless, and I was surprised they transferred the reasonably high limit from the Plat (40K) to the Premium card when you have to show more income to obtain the Plat card. Anyway, no questions asked by Amex, but I have had that limit for the past 10 years so that might have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back