Can I Gain the Bonus Points from the St George, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad1549

Hi all,

Just wondering if I can gain the 90k bonus points from the Signature Cards from St George, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne? These banks are all part of the same parent company, so not sure if I can claim from them all as it may be classified as triple dipping?

Thanks

I think they are one entity just with different branding by state.

When I was recently doing some banking at St G I asked if they could access my WPac banking details and they said no. They said that they are entirely different systems. However I don't know if this extends to CCs.

That's interesting Skyhawk. This week I applied for a St George card and being self-employed needed to supply 2 months of bank statements, however if banking into a "Westpac Group account" statements weren't required. Which gives the impression they do have access to all accounts within the group.

They are all owned by Westpac. But this fact is not well disclosed, e.g. go to BOM and look at the About Us page and Westpac isn't mentioned.

Perhaps more important is the T&C's. And here I think you have a chance, some of the T&CS's say "Existing customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer." If its not clear and disclosed that this includes customers of Westpac and other entities I think you have a strong case particularly given they have not called out their relationship.

Note that I have got points for a St George card while also holding a Westpac card, they are on different systems. But St George and BOM are on the same system, I haven't got my points on the latter as yet and am preparing to make a complaint shortly, will take this to FOS.

A quick glance at the T and C's for any of the cards would suggest no....

Existing St. George/BankSA/Bank of Melbourne customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature Card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer.

A quick glance at the T and C's for any of the cards would suggest no....

Existing St. George/BankSA/Bank of Melbourne customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature Card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer.
Indeed but that's not the T&Cs on all the cards! Would be interested which card you found this on, I certainly noticed this on a St George card previously but can't find it now.

Anyway the BOM card I applied for has a different condition and I have a PDF of it

*Available when you apply for a new Amplify Signature card between 23rd November 2017 and 18th April 2018. Eligible purchases do not include BPAY or BPAY equivalent transactions, fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account. Existing customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer. The bonus points will be credited to your points balance within 12 weeks after the eligible spend criteria is met.

Personally I think the fact they have been specific on one card but don't have this condition on the BOM card strengthens my argument it doesn't apply! If they want this condition to apply on this BOM card they haven't mentioned it, the St George card clearly suggests they have considered and applied a more specific condition which they haven't on the BOM card. It's not the consumers job to interpret their intent, we are entitled to rely on the actual wording.

Indeed but that's not the T&Cs on all the cards! Would be interested which card you found this on, I certainly noticed this on a St George card previously but can't find it now.

Anyway the BOM card I applied for has a different condition and I have a PDF of it

*Available when you apply for a new Amplify Signature card between 23rd November 2017 and 18th April 2018. Eligible purchases do not include BPAY or BPAY equivalent transactions, fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account. Existing customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer. The bonus points will be credited to your points balance within 12 weeks after the eligible spend criteria is met.

Personally I think the fact they have been specific on one card but don't have this condition on the BOM card strengthens my argument it doesn't apply! If they want this condition to apply on this BOM card they haven't mentioned it, the St George card clearly suggests they have considered and applied a more specific condition which they haven't on the BOM card. It's not the consumers job to interpret their intent, we are entitled to rely on the actual wording.

Okay, have a look at BOM t and c's here. Credit Card Comparison - Compare Points Earning Cards | Qantas
Same as for all cards mentioned in the op (SGB,BOM and BankSA)

* The bonus Qantas Points promotion is available when you apply for a new Amplify Signature Card between 23 November 2017 and 18 April 2018. You will receive: 90,000 points when you spend at least $5,000 within 90 days of card approval on eligible purchases. Points will be credited within 12 weeks of spending the minimum $5,000. Eligible purchases do not include BPAY, fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account. Existing St. George/BankSA/Bank of Melbourne customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature Card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer.

But if you have a pdf that says otherwise, I guess you're fine to triple dip.Back up the truck.

Okay, have a look at BOM t and c's here. Credit Card Comparison - Compare Points Earning Cards | Qantas
Same as for all cards mentioned in the op (SGB,BOM and BankSA)

* The bonus Qantas Points promotion is available when you apply for a new Amplify Signature Card between 23 November 2017 and 18 April 2018. You will receive: 90,000 points when you spend at least $5,000 within 90 days of card approval on eligible purchases. Points will be credited within 12 weeks of spending the minimum $5,000. Eligible purchases do not include BPAY, fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account. Existing St. George/BankSA/Bank of Melbourne customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature Card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer.

But if you have a pdf that says otherwise, I guess you're fine to triple dip.Back up the truck.
All I can say here is that I've had a fair bit of exposure to FOS via managing regulatory programs both on the credit provider and regulator side. So the argument you are making is that rather than looking at BOMs own website which does not have that exclusion I should have looked at at random other websit which does.

Given I have had a fair bit of insight as to how FOS think let me unpick how I can fairly easily pick holes in that argument.

1. The offer is being made by BOM therefore I am entitled to rely on their website as the "correct" T&Cs. Why would I assume the Qantas site is more correct, even assuming I know I know it exists and it's different. I applied by the BOM website and its only subsequently I have been aware that the T&Cs on the Qantas website differ. Nevertheless your claim relies on me regarding the non official website as being more correct than BOMS OWN WEBSITE. Ps, this website still says this.

2. Companies make different offers via different offers via different channels all the time. As a direct example from the same owning entity Westpac had at least three different offers running at the same time (two directly and one via pointhacks). It's fairly easy for me to provide evidence of this. So for your claim to be correct you'd also need to believe that I as a consumer (with no real knowledge of what offer my credit provider and it's associated entities in the market have at the time) have a responsibility to investigate these offers and then assume the worst applies.

3. Or alternately you could believe that FOS would take the view that the banks has the responsibility to properly inform me because they are the ones who havevisibility of all offers in the market.

Having had considerable experience with FOS (on both sides of the fence) I can state with considerable certainty FOS will come down on the side of option 3 99.9% of the time.

Your comment would be relevant if I had applied for this card via the link you provide but the facts (not an opinion) are that I didn't.

Like I said, back up the truck.
Bumping this thread.

I'm looking at applying for the BOM card having recently closed the St George. However, there's no feedback from anyone doing this and getting the bonus QFF points, or otherwise.

Not wanting to get a hit on my credit file unnecessarily, for a rejection of the bonus points.

I really should get my SIL one of these CCs rather than try multiple brands of the same bank.

Bumping this thread.

I'm looking at applying for the BOM card having recently closed the St George. However, there's no feedback from anyone doing this and getting the bonus QFF points, or otherwise.

Not wanting to get a hit on my credit file unnecessarily, for a rejection of the bonus points.
I did get both St George and BOM but YMMV.

Bumping this thread.

I'm looking at applying for the BOM card having recently closed the St George …..

I did get both St George and BOM but YMMV.

I closed the St George Amplify Signature earlier this month. I'd forgotten about the Westpac Altitude Black which I closed only six months ago.

With the BOM also being a 'Westpac product', my chances of the bonus points for this card are probably shot. Maybe I need to find something else.

I still hold Amex and ANZ cards. Have recently cancelled HSBC and Qantas Premier as well, my options are becoming limited for a good bunch of bonus points.

I got 90k bonus from both St George and Bank of Melbourne. I foolishly hadn’t twigged they were the same when I applied for the BOM one and figured I’d have to try and argue vague T&C’s with someone, but the BOM points came through about 2 months after making minimum spend. YMMV. Don’t think I’ll test my luck going for the triple crown with bank SA...

And the BOM card shows up in my St George online banking app so they must be very closely related internally...

I got 90k bonus from both St George and Bank of Melbourne. I foolishly hadn’t twigged they were the same when I applied for the BOM one and figured I’d have to try and argue vague T&C’s with someone, but the BOM points came through about 2 months after making minimum spend. YMMV. Don’t think I’ll test my luck going for the triple crown with bank SA...
Can I ask did you go for the 90K QFF or Amplify route? I'm thinking of applying for the sake of science! I closed my St George 1 month ago, thinking of going BOM route.

Can I ask did you go for the 90K QFF or Amplify route? I'm thinking of applying for the sake of science! I closed my St George 1 month ago, thinking of going BOM route.

Both cards were the QFF versions. I opened the BoM card probably 5 months after the St George card and was still holding the St George at that time.

Please post your results. I was successful with 2 BoM cards 8 months apart, but that was around 18 months ago. T&C’s at the time did exclude bonus points.

Any updates on this topic? I just finished with St George QFF for the 80k bonus and got the bank of SA 80k deal without realising this issue until I registered for internet banking and the two were linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back