Business Explorer linked to Business Accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell21

I've read a few related threads that talk about signing up for the Personal Explorer Card, and then signing up for the Platinum Edge card, and then using the latter to attempt to link the Explorer Card to Ascent rather than Gateway rewards.

I've recently received the Business Explorer Card, and although I've seen some references to some forum members having success linking this to the Platinum Edge card and Ascent rewards, I'm assuming that I'm likely to have more chance of success if I try to link the Business Explorer Card to another business credit card, such as the Business Accelerator, rather than trying to link the business explorer to a personal card such as the Platinum Edge? Really appreciate your input - this is all relatively new for me!

you might be on the right track.
as I read on here someone with the business explorer was told they couldn't like to ascent on the personal platinum edge..

worth a try I'd say!

Thanks daft009, I noticed that someone had posted linking BE to Platinum Edge, and I think one had been successful and one hadn't been successful --- I figured that trying to link 2 business cards might work! Appreciate your reply and will let you know if I have any success...

I think it was me that you are talking about. I tried a few months ago to link my Business Accelerator with my Business Explorer Card.

I did not have any luck with it at the time, they told me it was possibly because of the 50000 additional points. I have now qualified for the points, I'm going to wait for them to be added to my account first, then ask again if they can be linked, or if they can be transferred 1:1.

iirc I applied for the BE card a few months after it was first offered, they may have fixed up the system to make linking possible or changed policies as it now seems commonplace for the personal version to be linked.

I think you may find that they won't do it because of the different redemption rates offered for the two programs. Bus Explorer is connected to the Gateway program which, as an example, transfers to KF at a ration of 4MR points to 3KF points. The ascent program transfers at 1:1.
I asked tonight on the phone if it was possible to transfer points form one account to another or to link the cards, but they gave me the above reason for not being able to do it.

That's similar to the personal cards as well. Explorer and Platinum edge but lots of us have these linked including me

Thanks pgsdiver - what you say makes perfectly logical sense and it's why I initially figured it couldn't be done, but then daft009 has his personal explorer and platinum edge linked to each, with that same gateway / ascent combo - I'm not sure if it's b/c it's business not personal cards, but I'm not sure at face value that it should make a difference --- it's possible it comes down to what I've read on a few different AMEX chats on this site, where members say that you just have to keep trying with AMEX until you get on to someone who can work-out how to do it for you?!

yeah i think so.
it took me five calls to have my personal ones linked.
the others said either flat out no, or you can but your points balance would be reset to 0 if you do.

Just so I'm clear (I am a little slow on the uptake). You guys are saying you have explorer cards that usually would earn into the gateway program, that have been linked to your Platinum Edge cards in the Ascent program, and now the spend on the explorer cards earns into the Ascent account?
Regards,
Peter

bingo!
so 2ppd on everything which also converts to 1=1 to Krisflyer (my program of choice).
only use the edge at supermarkets

when i log into amex online to look at balances & points etc under explorer I get "please refer to card xx_ for your points" so I need to switch to the edge to see my points balance

thanks daft009, tha's very helpful - I'm still a little while away from getting my ascent AMEX card, but will let you know if I have any luck linking the two!

bingo!
so 2ppd on everything which also converts to 1=1 to Krisflyer (my program of choice).
only use the edge at supermarkets

when i log into amex online to look at balances & points etc under explorer I get "please refer to card xx_ for your points" so I need to switch to the edge to see my points balance
Great Scott! I'm missing out then. And nothing hurts more than that - except my wife's acid wit.
I'll be on to this asap.
Thank you!

Hi all - it took a bit of time, but I've had my BA and BE for a little while now and finally got around to calling AMEX to understand our options. According to the agent I spoke to, we have 2 options for linking Gateway and Ascent - a) you can link the cards, BUT you lose the $50,000 annual loyalty bonus, or b) you can call AMEX and they will transfer your points from Gateway to Ascent in a 1:1 ratio (ie, you keep your 2 reward programs separate) - it does take 3 business days for the transfer to occur. I have to admit to being quite excited by this news, especially given that it makes Rewardpay that much more attractive. I don't know how this applies for personal cards, but I recall from other forums that reward programs can be linked (but of course, the loyalty bonus would not be pertinent for those cards from memory)

Oddly, I've been told the exact opposite of this. That there is no option for merging or transferring between the two because of the different redemption rates. I also asked about the annual loyalty bonus but they said even if I linked (which they said was impossible - go figure!) that the bonus would remain there.
I really do wish there was some consistency, but then again we do seem to benefit from the chaos from time to time.
Would love to hear if it ACTUALLY works for you. I'm still pushing them every time I call for any reason, but so far I've gotten brick walls.
Which number specifically did you ring to get this result?
Regards,
Peter

Oddly, I've been told the exact opposite of this. That there is no option for merging or transferring between the two because of the different redemption rates. I also asked about the annual loyalty bonus but they said even if I linked (which they said was impossible - go figure!) that the bonus would remain there.
I really do wish there was some consistency, but then again we do seem to benefit from the chaos from time to time.
Would love to hear if it ACTUALLY works for you. I'm still pushing them every time I call for any reason, but so far I've gotten brick walls.
Which number specifically did you ring to get this result?
Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter, I called Amex today and I requested they transfer a large volume of points from gateway to Ascent. They confirmed for me that the exactly same number of points would show in my ascent account, as was in my gateway account. On both occasions, they were very clear how this works (see above) and added that this option has existed for a few years! I called 1300 366 549 which I believes take you through to the business customer service team. I'm not sure whether the process is clearer for business cards than it is for personal cards because they are a different Value proposition for Amex from what I understand. Will let you know when the points are transferred!

Points transferred successfully - impressed with the transfer speed too

I was talking to AMEX the other day and found out something unexpected re transferring points between different reward program tiers. Because some members reported that they have had difficulty linking reward programs between Business and Personal cards, I assumed that you couldn't therefore request to transfer points between a Business and Personal card reward program. It appears, however, that it doesn't matter whether cards are Business or Personal cards when it comes to transferring points between reward programs (all that appears to matter is that the Reward programs are in the same name)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back