Status
Not open for further replies.

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
A few weeks ago I purchased 6 x $100 Bunnings Gift Cards from my Coles store as I had some holiday renovation activities planning around my home and wanted to get the 3 point per dollar on my Amex card for the purchases. All 6 cards show in the receipt with the same information except for the unique serial number for each card. All shows "Approved".

When I went to make a purchase using these cards from Bunnings later that day, and found the cards were showing in the Bunnings system as unsold. I think I tried two cards at that time and both were showing that status as "available for sale". Bunnings customer service directed me back to Coles as the point of purchase. Coles service desk told me I had to wait 24 hours for the cards to be activated (ever had to do that before).

So next day I present a card at Bunnings and receive the same response - the card shows as not being sold. I had them check all the cards and they found 3 were activated and 3 were not. So I could use two of teh activated cards for my purchase that day. But they once again directed me back to Coles to resolve the issue with the other three cards.

The store manager at Coles took a copy of the receipt and made inquiries through the Coles help desk. A week later he was told that everything looked correct from Coles end and they need to escalate to Bunnings for a resolution. 2 weeks later and they still have no reply from Bunnings.

So I am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues with purchasing Bunnings Gift Cards from Coles and having them fail to be recognised as sold?

I am now in direct contact with the Coles Customer Care department. If they cannot resolve, the only remaining option I can see if to contact Amex and request a $300 charge back since I have not received what I purchased. Not sure if a partial charge-back is possible based on buying multiple items and only some being "defective".

Return the cards to Coles.

Go to another coles and buy new ones.

Mmm, but I cannot remember who it was.

It was me.

Massive fight with Coles that was never really resolved.

Coles customer service is an absolute joke. I was passed around from department to department with people who were generally rude and aggressive.

In the end, I walked into the store and dug my feet in until the store manager eventually opened the til and gave me cash.

Some idiot from Coles called again a week later and left a condescending message on my voicemail saying it was a bunnings error.

Fair Trading NSW confirmed that it's the store who sold the card who is responsible (not bunnings, not some gift card call centre). They said the best method is to send the store a letter of demand and then get Fair Trading to mediate.

If you paid with Amex, I'd just reverse the charges.

They do not refund gift cards, apparently, At least according to the store manager.
Is that "public knowledge" when you buy them? Certainly i'd never considered them non-refundable (but then, i havent bought any from a coles store)....

Is that "public knowledge" when you buy them? Certainly i'd never considered them non-refundable (but then, i havent bought any from a coles store)....
I think the policy of no refunds for gift cards may breach the Fair Trading laws in this state, so not sure what will happen if pushed for a refund.

I will give Coles Customer Care a chance to resolve the issue. Certainly everyone I have dealt with at Coles so far has been pleasant and sympathetic to my problem. Just no resolution yet. If no positive outcome by Monday, I will consider my three remaining options:

• Back to the store and demand a refund as is my right under Qld consumer law (I see no exclusion for Gift Cards in the law) relating to guarantees, warranties and refunds, as the failed-to-activate Gift Cards are either faulty or not fit for purpose.
  • Open a case for mediation with Fair Trading Qld
  • Contact Amex for a Charge-Back of $300 from the $600 transaction

I think the policy of no refunds for gift cards may breach the Fair Trading laws in this state, so not sure what will happen if pushed for a refund.

I will give Coles Customer Care a chance to resolve the issue. Certainly everyone I have dealt with at Coles so far has been pleasant and sympathetic to my problem. Just no resolution yet. If no positive outcome by Monday, I will consider my three remaining options:

• Back to the store and demand a refund as is my right under Qld consumer law (I see no exclusion for Gift Cards in the law) relating to guarantees, warranties and refunds, as the failed-to-activate Gift Cards are either faulty or not fit for purpose.
  • Open a case for mediation with Fair Trading Qld
  • Contact Amex for a Charge-Back of $300 from the $600 transaction

Coles certainly need a kick in the backside over this. It's good you've crossed some decent people at customer care, but the idiot I dealt with was an arrogant little smartarse who took great pleasure in telling me it was my problem.

The Amex chargeback is probably the best option. That will hit them where it hurts.

Did you get a rejection reciept from bunnings?
The card is not "rejected" as such, but when scanned tries to add it to the sale, increasing the cost by $100. It appears to Bunnings as though the card has not been sold and their system tries to sell it to me.

This is a major flaw in the coles activation system. Someone needs to bring it to their IT team or someone with technical know how, now just simple customer service staff.

This is a major flaw in the coles activation system. Someone needs to bring it to their IT team or someone with technical know how, now just simple customer service staff.

Coles don't care. They do their best to blame anyone but themselves

Store policy doesn't trump Australian Consumer Law.

Agree!

I don't think there'd be too much trouble arguing the product isn't fit for purpose, so refund required.

This is clearly a rubbish situation!

In general I've found Westfarmers businesses (of which Coles is one) to be very responsive when I've had issues, in the one case I couldn't get a reasonable resolution I contacted the Coles CEO by email. Admittedly it wasn't their current CEO, but I had a response back within three hours from the CEO in person and that was on a Sunday!

I won't share their email address here, as I wouldn't want that myself, but if you were keen on perusing this route then google has all the answers you need to get the correct email address ([email protected]). Ilt probably couldn't hurt to CC the Bunnings CEO into the same email.

Good luck in getting a satisfactory resolution - this situation simply isn't good enough!!

Agree!

I don't think there'd be too much trouble arguing the product isn't fit for purpose, so refund required.
Or replace (get a new card) or repair (activate the card properly) at the merchant's discretion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back