Book the Cook- Recommendations | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Book the Cook- Recommendations

infinity

AFF Supporter
Will be in F Suites from SYD/SIN/CDG on A380 this week

Can members recommend their good experiences with Book the Cook meals and what they chose?

cove

AFF Supporter
After quite a few SQ Suites runs we don't now book the cook as we are quite happy with the standard offering.
I love the caviar to lift the scrambled eggs if you are doing a breakfast. It is not always available.
Once I have had 2 glasses of Krug I am a very happy person and 12 hours later getting dressed for landing is quite ok.

infinity

AFF Supporter
Must admit I am a caviar lover as well, bring it on, and on,and on!!

Wont fill you up ;)

penegal

AFF Supporter
Don't.....

As cove says, the standard meals are fine :)

FWIW, BTC is a gimmick, and not a particularly good one.

anat0l

AFF Supporter
Only BTC worthy dish is the ever persistent choice of Lobster Thermidor. They do a better job of this ex-SIN than other ports, do note.

After a few of those to tire you out, it's probably not a bad idea to just settle on the standard offering.

fatnakedman

Intern
Flights
My Map
the food on board surpasses anything on BTC. I have done it once and regretted it and never done it again. Definitely avoid the steak if you do decide to do BTC. Stick with the prepared menu especially if you're in first. My opinion only!

infinity

AFF Supporter
Lobster and lamb were great. Probably will leave it open on way home from LHR
First world problem though

orin

Flew J out of Sydney and booked Seafood Thermidor. It was absolutely horrendous. The taste was so blend and tasted of oil.

Hope the Lobster option for F is better made!

Dr Bob

Flights
My Map
Was thinking of doing Seafood thermidor out of Sydney next Tuesday but will now go standard for lunch & BTC lobster out of Singapore for the London leg. Still thinking Lamb shanks on the return.
Thanks for that orin.

legalistic

Intern
Just curious, flying out of Singapore in the morning there was BTC lobster as an option which I picked, my first try... looking forward to it... however so as to not get my hopes up I wantedt to ask if it is really a breakfast option or is it an error?

Dr Bob

Flights
My Map
I noted in the "manage your booking" when you select meal you get the drop down of standard or BTC & selecting BTC you get the menu for that flight. So if you are leaving in the morning I would suggest you will get a breakfast & the lobster will be lunch. But this is also my first time & for the Singapore London leg I've selected Lobster then Dim sum for breakfast. Let me know what you get.

Keith009

AFF Supporter
FWIW, BTC is a gimmick, and not a particularly good one.
About the only time I've found BTC worthwhile is in J on the midnight departures to Australia which feature a reduced menu and only offer a meal upon take off OR before landing. The inflight menu choices aren't usually great either on these flights. I'd normally BTC for supper and have a good "sleep in."

As I mentioned on another thead I've not found a significant difference in quality between BTC and the standard inflight menu so I simply don't bother with BTC - it's still inflight catering at the end of the day and will never measure up to alfresco dining at your favourite cafe or hawker centre let alone Michelin style dining irrespective of how they dress it up. In F the inflight meals are more than adequate or better still - have your fill in the Private Room (wagyu beef burger with seared foie gras is my pick) and simply snack on caviar and Krug onboard. Notwithstanding the aforementioned midnight departures to Australia in J, I like the spontaneity of discovering what's on the normal menu.

Of course I'd have a slightly different opinion if I weren't allergic to shellfish as the lobster from what I recall was half decent (ex-SIN) and would be worth a BTC order for the novelty factor at least....

Last edited:

markis10

Veteran Member
Just curious, flying out of Singapore in the morning there was BTC lobster as an option which I picked, my first try... looking forward to it... however so as to not get my hopes up I wantedt to ask if it is really a breakfast option or is it an error?
I have had BTC Lobster for breakfast, enjoyed it very much.

legalistic

Intern
I have had BTC Lobster for breakfast, enjoyed it very much.
Thanks for the confirmation markis!

And Dr Bob, will update on the experience, but the flight is not till Dec and will only be a short hop between SIN and HK, but the prospect of lobster has got me pumped regardless

cove

AFF Supporter
We are going with standard menu this week and there is no problem with that.

seritonin

AFF Supporter
I've had the lobster, quite average i thought but the asian selection were fantastic especially nasi lemak and lontong

orin

Flying out on 772 to Singapore from Sydney in J.

Most replies seem to indicate standard meals ex Singapore are good, how about ex Sydney, are the standard menus on board better than BTC? The Indian Curry Lamb Shanks looks quite tempting.

Danger UXB

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
IMG_0041.jpg

Indian lamb shank curry was probably my favourite on my last trip . I had it ex MEL:). Being lamb it is particularly suited to reheating on a plane

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamfales