Bonus points for existing customers [New Card]

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequentflyer

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere already (I couldn't find anything that was recent) but does anyone have any recent experiences on how strict are Amex on the bonus points for existing Amex card holders (or those who had one within the last 12 months)?

I'm considering applying for the Velocity Platinum but have just closed it last month. I also currently hold the Explorer. I don't mind taking a credit hit but would be curious to hear experiences from other people

From all recent reports AMEX have closed up a lot of the previous loop holes in the last few months. Although I know of one person who has successfully received the points since their most recent bout of changes.

In your case I would think it is highly unlikely that you'd get the points as you've held the Velocity Platinum card within the last 18 months. AMEX have always been strict on the timeout rule for the same card. 5+ years ago I was denied the bonus points for one of their Qantas cards as I'd held when within the last 12 months (when it used to be a 12 month rule).

Sorry to disappoint!

i only just got an explorer card and dont have any other amex cards and never held a velocity amex issued card. does it go by the card type held, program or is it any amex issued held card in the last 18mths now?. i think they have become more strict on it now. i enquired about applying for the business amex plat card and they said flat out i wouldnt get the bonus sign up points as im an existing amex member even though its only 1 personal card and not business. anyway im thinking about applying for the Velocity Platinum card in july before the deadline and wonder if ill get the bonus 100k points too? am i best cancelling the explorer first after getting the bonus points for it and then waiting and applying in late july?

Let me tell you of my tale of woe - I am a consistent churner of CCs of all breeds - I have long been bemused that CC providors continually pay our sign on bonus pts to obvious churners - but what will be will be.

Last October I cancelled AMEX Plat - and in Feb I noticed a link to reduced fee of $950 for NSW Law Society Plat Charge Card - so I clicked and applied and approved - allegedly with 100Kpts sign on bonus.

I was kinda surprised how it all went with no check of eligibility - but whatever - I spent reqd $1,500 in a day and then used it a bit for travel / restaurants where pts earn higher.

Resize of AMEX.JPG

Saturday I called Plat line to ask why no bonus pts posted after 2mths - put on hold by Manila call ctr - then advised that because I held Plat Charge in last 18mths I was not eligible for sign on bonus. Not to take no for an answer I called again Monday morn and got a fabulous guy on phone in SYD named Frank - I asked Frank same question - he put me on hold then returned a few mins later totally apologetic and YES I was entitled to 100K bonus pts and he would personally follow it up - I was still not high fiving everyone.

This morn I rcvd call from Amex Supervisor to advise me that case had been handed to him and that as I had held Charge card within last 18mths I was not eligible for 100K bonus pts. I suggested they get there house in order as 2 times previously I was advised that I was entitled to them - he apologised for misinformation and then stated that application form that I filled in did indeed have this clause inserted.

So you win some and you lose some huh? Of course this card has Travel Credit of $300 and comp Credit card that attached to this Plat Card has a $400 travel credit available - all up $700 in Travel Credits with $950 ann fee - maybe I will still keep it just for the extra pts earn on restaurants and travel - maybe I won't - such is life.

My partner had The American Express velocity escape card and cancelled it about a year ago.This card has no bonus points on offer.She has now been apporved and spent the $1500 is she likely or not likely to receive the 100k bonus points?

My partner had The American Express velocity escape card and cancelled it about a year ago.This card has no bonus points on offer.She has now been apporved and spent the $1500 is she likely or not likely to receive the 100k bonus points?

If she has cancelled within the last 18 months, unfortunately she is unlikely to get the bonus points. I'm sorry to bring the bad news, although you never know she could get lucky.

Amex Adds Strong Language To Counter Bonus Abuse - One Mile at a Time

Amex Adds Strong Language To Counter Bonus Abuse - One Mile at a Time (American article)

Specifically, they’ve added the following regarding qualifying for the welcome bonus on the card:

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus miles to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.

Re: Amex Adds Strong Language To Counter Bonus Abuse - One Mile at a Time

didnt want to start a new thread
we all know recently theyve prety much closed the loophole of not adhering to the exclusion time frame,

so in todays market, which cards can you have to get welcome bonus?

I have the edge and explorer and was looking at the velocity and/or dj cards, however I cant do the charge cards with annual fees of $1200

is there any card s that I can still be eligible for bojnus points?

The DJ cards. The plat charge is actually ok value once you stack all the travel credit, course YMMV..

didnt want to start a new thread
we all know recently theyve prety much closed the loophole of not adhering to the exclusion time frame,

so in todays market, which cards can you have to get welcome bonus?

I have the edge and explorer and was looking at the velocity and/or dj cards, however I cant do the charge cards with annual fees of $1200

is there any card s that I can still be eligible for bojnus points?

The DJ cards. The plat charge is actually ok value once you stack all the travel credit, course YMMV..
thanks for that

I assume this one is the best one
https://www.americanexpress.com/au/...?intlink=au-amex-cardshop-carousel-davidjones

T/Cs only say if you have or have any DJ credit card you are inelgibile

40,000 points for $99 Annual fee, I assume this is the best of the not so good bunch...

also t he T/Cs for the Velocity say
"Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited, in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for the bonus Velocity Points offer"
so I guess that excludes myself and most people

also $1200 fee for $300 travel credit for the charge card doesnt work for me

There is also the more expensive one
https://www.americanexpress.com/au/...=au-amex-cardshop-carousel-davidjonesplatinum
50,000 points / 37,500 Qantas points - $295 annual fee. not great value - but there if you're desperate for points ASAP.

the plat charge is indeed $1,200. but it does allow you to apply for a free reserve plat card which in itself has $400 travel credit, thus a combined credit of $700.
it's still a large figure to swallow esp if you're not going to use any of the travel related perks. :)

Actually reading up on the welcome bonus, it seems charge cards are now considered as any consumer 'card' and therefore if you signed up for the charge - no bonus.

thanks for that

I assume this one is the best one
https://www.americanexpress.com/au/...?intlink=au-amex-cardshop-carousel-davidjones

T/Cs only say if you have or have any DJ credit card you are inelgibile

40,000 points for $99 Annual fee, I assume this is the best of the not so good bunch...

also t he T/Cs for the Velocity say
"Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited, in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for the bonus Velocity Points offer"
so I guess that excludes myself and most people

also $1200 fee for $300 travel credit for the charge card doesnt work for me

Reviving this thread with my latest experience. I have a linked Explorer and Platinum Edge, I got the Platinum Charge last week. I wasn't expecting to get any bonus points bit as I am going to be traveling quite a bit in the next few months, I was ok paying the annual fee. When I activated my card I had separate Ascent and Ascent Premium sets of points. I was planning to call to get them merged but thought I would try my luck and spend the $1.5k on my charge to see if any bonus points would show up. I spent $1.35k on single transaction and a bonus 100k showed up in my account this morning :). So looks like there are still holes in Amex's system regarding the 18 month rule.

Congratulations maybe the loop hole exists for charge cards which most people won't use due to the fees

Reviving this thread with my latest experience. I have a linked Explorer and Platinum Edge, I got the Platinum Charge last week. I wasn't expecting to get any bonus points bit as I am going to be traveling quite a bit in the next few months, I was ok paying the annual fee. When I activated my card I had separate Ascent and Ascent Premium sets of points. I was planning to call to get them merged but thought I would try my luck and spend the $1.5k on my charge to see if any bonus points would show up. I spent $1.35k on single transaction and a bonus 100k showed up in my account this morning :). So looks like there are still holes in Amex's system regarding the 18 month rule.

Thanks for sharing. Out of interest, did you declare that you held those other Amex cards on the application (in the section that they ask), or did you forget to mention them..?

Thanks for sharing. Out of interest, did you declare that you held those other Amex cards on the application (in the section that they ask), or did you forget to mention them..?

I forgot to mention my other cards during the application..

... I was planning to call to get them merged but thought I would try my luck and spend the $1.5k on my charge to see if any bonus points would show up. I spent $1.35k on single transaction and a bonus 100k showed up in my account this morning :). So looks like there are still holes in Amex's system regarding the 18 month rule.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It certainly isn't what I would have expected, given the changes over the last nine months or so, but very positive. Your experience mimics how the system was about 12 months ago. Where by, if you opened a new card and didn't have an existing card within the same rewards program, you got the bonus points.

Good to hear a happy story once in a while, hopefully some other AFF'rs get a similar experience.

Does anyone know if being a supplementary cardholder excludes someone from getting bonus points with the Explorer card (or any new Amex for that matter)?

Background is my wife has not held an Amex account in her own name for about 2 years. I have Amex Plat Edge and Amex Velocity Platinum, and she is a supplementary cardholder on both. I want to start using the Explorer, primarily for the improved ongoing earn rates, but clearly I would not be eligible for any bonus. So now I'm thinking I could get my wife to apply, so she gets bonus points, and then she adds me as a supplementary cardholder. Anyone know if this will work?

The T&Cs don't seem to make it clear - they refer to new members being eligible, and my wife is not a current member as I understand it so that sounds good. It does exclude "card members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period" - as I said she does hold Amex issued cards, but if she is not a member, that shouldn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back