Bonus 25k Flybuy points Citibank Global Currency Account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Qantas
Gold
Not a credit card offer but still worth posting!

Be rewarded with 25,000 flybuys BONUS POINTS (approx 12.5k velocity points)when you apply for a Citi Global Currency Account, transfer and convert AUD$1,000 or more to a foreign currency within the first three months. Offer valid until 30 November 2019.

Not a bad deal if you looking to convert some foreign currency prior to your travel.

Not sure I'd go with this. To get the points with minimal cost (have no interest in using the card for it's intended purpose) would involve a likely 2% * 2 currency whack plus short term currency risk.

I just signed up. Not sure if I will use it yet. Citibank website rubbish as usual .

I am still confused as to what to do now. I have an existing Citibank Mastercard debit that I use for cash out OS and will be visiting the USA in a few weeks.

Will a get a different card with this or do I just load $1000 AUD worth of USD up on my current card ten draw it out in the USA at a Citibank ATM?

OK I just found out the answer to my own question. I can link this account to my Citibank plus. Think I should just be able to then load $1000 AUD from my Citibank plus funds into USD onto my Global Currency account on the same card, select this account at a USA ATM and withdraw it in cash. Only cost will be the poorer forex rate when loading up the USD.

Guess I need to load up an number of USD that allows me to get it all out from an ATM. Say a multiple of $20.

Last edited:
Ever since I opened up this account I can no longer do payments / transfers in the Citi android app. I get to the account from / to screen but the page loading spinner never stops spinning!

Ever since I opened up this account I can no longer do payments / transfers in the Citi android app. I get to the account from / to screen but the page loading spinner never stops spinning!
...actually having checked the latest app reviews I can see that lots of people are in the same boat. So unrelated to the new accounts, just general Citi ineptitude.

Are the flybuys points credited on loading the currency or immediately after applying for the account. Does anyone how long it might take for the points to land in to your account ? Thanks

I havent got this, but I too cant pay/transfer from the app. So I dont think it is related.

Are the flybuys points credited on loading the currency or immediately after applying for the account. Does anyone how long it might take for the points to land in to your account ? Thanks
The T&Cs are listed at the bottom of the Citi page for this offer.

I havent got this, but I too cant pay/transfer from the app. So I dont think it is related.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the app (same version)...payments work again.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app (same version)...payments work again.
Thanks for the tip. will uninstall/reinstall now. have already paid via PC. So will only know next time.

EDIT: Dont worry, tried again. Works now. TY!

Last edited:
how do you link your existing cb debit card to this account? do you transfer the $1000 into the aud global account first or can it be done directly into the foreign currency account?

I signed up and they set up another USD account next to my Citibank plus debit account.
Transfered in AUD to 700 USD and planned to withdraw the $700 in the USA where I am currently travelling. This would only require one forex conversion to the USD going in.

Was told when I use an ATM in the USA just select my USD account and take cash out.

Guess what. No selection option comes up when I use a Citibank ATM in the states only my debit account is available. Went into a Citibank branch to enquire. They told me their system doesn't recognise my Aussie card.

I'll be taking this up with Citibank on return. They really are the pits. If I didn't reap the points I do off their many mistakes I'd never go near them.

got email from citi requesting flybuys number today. Account activated beginning of September, no follow up required yet ... surprising for Citi. Supposedly will credit within 6 weeks

Anyone that received the email had the points applied yet?
Replied to the email on the 22.9 still waiting here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back