Best Virgin FF earning CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonF

I see quite a few threads about this with various situations and I guess everyone is different but from what I`ve read it seems either getting the High flyers CC is the way to go except Citibank CS sucks so that`s not exactly a positive but then do i spend the money getting an amex edge to get 1.5 points per $1 on most stuff or do i just stick to the visa high flyer? Or do i get the commonwealth plat or diamond card instead?

Thoughts?

Have you considered the NAB Velocity premium cards?
Yes but again that`s only good for amex then the coupled visa accumulation rate is terrible so i`d hazard i`d need another card. Relatively reasonable annual fee too. I guess another thing i`ve been looking at is which card would get points for paying taxes as well but that`s a whole new topic but slightly related.

I have had the High Flyers Plat CC for a couple of years with no problems from Citi. I prefer the Visa as I can use it at places that do not accept Amex, or have a large surcharge
1.25 points per $ is not bad

Until about a week ago, the Diners Club / Mastercard combo was the best, 3 Velocity Points per dollar on the Diners, 1.25 per dollar on the MC.

That's now changed to 2 points per dollar on the Diners, 0.833 per dollar on the MC.

Looks like the new loyalty head at Virgin, Neil Thompson, is bringing his tricks learnt while head of Qantas Loyalty to bear.

Until about a week ago, the Diners Club / Mastercard combo was the best, 3 Velocity Points per dollar on the Diners, 1.25 per dollar on the MC.

That's now changed to 2 points per dollar on the Diners, 0.833 per dollar on the MC.

Looks like the new loyalty head at Virgin, Neil Thompson, is bringing his tricks learnt while head of Qantas Loyalty to bear.
Wow that still seems like the Diners is still a good card (even if it was awesome back prior to a week ago).... so new best card combo is.....Still Diners?

There is still a huge number of merchants that do not accept Diners. Not a good option IMHO

Wow that still seems like the Diners is still a good card (even if it was awesome back prior to a week ago).... so new best card combo is.....Still Diners?

It was fine because the fall back to the DC was the 1.25ppd MC. As that's devalued and DC acceptance is so low it's probably not a great option.

If you can swallow the $700 on Citi Select, hard to beat it when accompanying a Big 4 Amex card.

If you can swallow the $700 on Citi Select, hard to beat it when accompanying a Big 4 Amex card.

When you look at the "value" section on the website where that card is it does make it look temping!

It was fine because the fall back to the DC was the 1.25ppd MC. As that's devalued and DC acceptance is so low it's probably not a great option.

True, I'm thinking of cancelling before my next annual fee thanks to that devaluation. The extra SPG points it earns aren't worth the $389 annual fee compared to what I can get on a base level Amex card.

True, I'm thinking of cancelling before my next annual fee thanks to that devaluation. The extra SPG points it earns aren't worth the $389 annual fee compared to what I can get on a base level Amex card.

If you get use of the lounge access it's possibly OK value but if not then makes sense to let it go.

Virgin Money gives you a $1:1 rate. What about that guy?

I had the NAB Plat with the Virgin Flyer, but have since changed the NAB Plat (since renamed to Premium) to Amex Plat Edge with the majority of spend at the big supermarkets at 3pts/$ and then using the Virgin Flyer when Amex not accepted for 1pt/$.

You should factor in gift card purchases from the big supermarkets when spending at other retailers, using Amex where possible too.

Just looking at this again..... Currently I have High Flyers and Amex Edge but i'm thinking maybe its best if i replace that with an Amex VA Plat? Have I basically got the best combo for earning VA points?

Depends on your spending pattern. If you spend more at supermarkets/petrol, edge the way to go. If you spend more at restaurants, VA itself and other travel, plat probably better.

Just looking at this again..... Currently I have High Flyers and Amex Edge but i'm thinking maybe its best if i replace that with an Amex VA Plat? Have I basically got the best combo for earning VA points?
All 3 + a Big 4 Velocity 1.5ppd Amex? :p

Nothing new for Virgin in the last 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back