Best value for Altitude and Qantas Frequent Flier points ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markus

Hi Folks

I have just joined the forum today so I am an absolute newbie at all this . It is refreshing to find such active discussion and expertise on what appears (to me at least) to be such a black art !

I would welcome any advice you may have on the best strategy to maximize value of the following long accumulated points -

-600k Westpac Altitude
-350k Qantas FF

With a trip to Europe in mind for myself and 2 others later this year as the ultimate goal.

Which of the 2 schemes provides greatest value and flexibility ? is it better to transfer the Altitude points into Qantas FF or does the Altitude system provide better options for flights to and from Aust? Appears that Altitude does not allow for round the World or multi destination bookings on the online booking system? Could I book the main Aust to Europe legs via Altitude and any shorter Europe sectors via Qantas FF?

Any advice or links to where I could find same would be most appreciated?

I've also found and was checking out the frequentflyerclub dot come dot au

Im interested to know if other forum users have encountered and used this service or others like it vs dealing direct with the airlines and or online booking ( eg Altitude) ?

Thanks for any advice

best regards

Markus

Many of us switched out of Westpac Altitude when they halved the Visa earn rate and encouraged the use of the Amex part of the duo.
Are those Altitude points classified as Qantas points or can you get them to go to non Qantas?
Do you want to fly better than economy?
i have been using the Westpac Platinum Kris flyer Amex to do several Business and First class trips a year to Europe and the US as there is great availability but high redemption taxes.
With QF you need to book mostly one ways 353 days out if you want a anything better than economy to Europe. So it's 353 days to get out and 353 days to get back home if you want the best tickets.

Altitude points can no longer be transferred to Qantas. This change was made several years ago, at which time card holders were given a one off option of changing to an Altitude Qantas card, with points crediting directly to Qantas Frequent Flyer. If you did not take up the Qantas offer, it is no longer available and points cannot be transferred to Qantas.

If you can move the Altitude points to Kris Flyer that opens up great opportunities.
My Altitude Westpac Business Edition card is connected to Qantas and I only renewed it because they waived the renewal fee. The Visa part of the card is half a real Qantas point so I will not use it.

If you can move the Altitude points to Kris Flyer that opens up great opportunities.
My Altitude Westpac Business Edition card is connected to Qantas and I only renewed it because they waived the renewal fee. The Visa part of the card is half a real Qantas point so I will not use it.

Altitude points can be transferred to Kris Flyer, Enrich, Air Points, Velocity & Asia Miles.

Altitude points can be transferred to Kris Flyer, Enrich, Air Points, Velocity & Asia Miles.

Thanks all for your advice -

Yes the Altitude points are not linked to Qantas thus other airline options are available directly from them - ie Virgin Emirates British A etc .

Following your advice I'll check out Kris Flyer

Best regards

Markus

Well Markus if you are ok with high redemption charges Singapore Airlines have the availability to redeem that Qantas currently lacks.
You can use those points more cheaply on Thai but Mrscove is too fussy for me to consider them.
Actually SQ have just won a prestigious award so it is very,very good in both business and first class.
Saver points are a treat but Standard is easier to get just days out from a flying date. Don't look at the right hand column as that is a points wealth hazard on SQ.
Going on line to book saves 15% but the phone help line is great for advice at 02 9350 0203.
If you wade thru Frequent Flyer Fiend And The Game blog you can become pretty warped like me.

The reason Altitude no longer converts to QF point is they got Earth brand which converts to QF point exclusively.

The reason Altitude no longer converts to QF point is they got Earth brand which converts to QF point exclusively.
I recall it was more to do with Qantas insisting that card providers make cards be sweep cards only and removed the choice from the card user (us).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back