ozboy01

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Oneworld
Emerald
Hi

Like everyone else I am currently reviewing my credit cards and trying to maximise their point earning effectiveness.

I currently have in my personal name:

Qantas American Express Premium Card
NAB Amex/Visa Qantas Platinum Combo
Woolworths Qantas Visa

As is pretty self evident above my preferred FF program is QF, but have a number of other Star Alliance FF memberships also.

Until 30.6.17 I was putting about 80% of my spend through NAB Amex @ 1.5 points per $ and the balance through WOW Visa @ 1 point per dollar - albeit capped at $2,500.00 per month.

With the changes post 1 July I intend to transfer the 80% of my spend to AMEX premium card so I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on monthly cap levels.

I would however like to maximise the non Amex part of my spend as a few of my creditors are happy with Visa/Mastercard with no surcharge or have an uneconomoc surcharge for AMEX or don't allow AMEX at all. One no AMEX creditor has a once a year invoice of approx. $22K, so there is a lot of benefit in trying to get the non AMEX card right.

I am prepared to pay an annual fee of $250 or so for the Visa/MC option and even up to $450pa if the benefits warrant it.

In an ideal world I would like a Visa/MC option that offers 1 point per dollar up to say $10K per month but appreciate this is a really big ask on what I have been reading recently.

Happy to consider personal or business card options too as I have Pty Ltd companies to take out a business card if that was the best way to go.

I am all ears as to suggested ways forward - especially on the Visa/MC front

Cheers

Geoff

Not bad but $299 pa and $50pa supp card makes it harder to swallow.

Might be good for the first year at the discounted rate and see what else comes out between now and then.

If you're not stuck on QFF, Coles Rewards Mastercard looks like a good bet at the moment. Effective 0.87 / $ to VFF (+15% when an offer is on) or 0.8 to EY, or cash out to Coles vouchers if you're desperate. Apparently no restrictions on ATO payments. There's some targeted VF Explore Gold offers floating around too, but I've found Latitude Finance, who run the card, a joke in getting it set up. 2 weeks since approval and they haven't even managed to validate an ID.

Or else get the ANZ FF Black Visa for 75k QFF, 75 status credits and 1 QFF / $ with a $7.5k monthly points limit (0.5 QFF / $ after that).
https://www.anz.com.au/personal/credit-cards/frequent-flyer/black/

If you have your own business, you can always use RewardPay to pay your suppliers with AMEX... as long as your supplier accepts EFT payment (bank transfer but not BPAY) and has an ABN, you can use any AMEX card to pay.

You pay RewardPay with AMEX to earn points with a 2.4% + GST fee, then RP pays your supplier by EFT in the amount you specify (excluding the fee).

It's pretty straightforward: you just enter the amount you want to pay your supplier and RP works out the total price including fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back