Best companion card for Amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derkrieg

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere before, but what are your thoughts on a non-AMEX card as a companion card?

I pretty much use my Platinum Charge for 95% of things but would like to know if I should change things up- currently just use my old ANZ First that I’ve had since I was in uni. I’m Platinum with Qantas so would ideally like something that earns Qantas points but don’t really want to spend too much on another annual fee.

I use a NAB Qantas Platinum, but the rate and usefulness of the card is a lot lower than it once was. The only reason I keep it is because it's fee-free for life thanks to shares I hold/held in NAB when they had a shareholder benefit scheme.

I've been looking at the Qantas Premier Platinum, as this card offers a generous sign-up bonus currently, along with $1/1 point domestically up to $10,000 – which I find to be a reasonably high amount per statement period. I don't think the $199 annual fee is too much for what is offered.

Another card on my radar is the HSBC Platinum Qantas, which earns the same and costs half as much each year, but has a much lower points cap per statement period before the rate drops.

Yeah, that’s great. I’ll check them out.
I probably wouldn’t be too concerned with hitting a points cap- my non-AMEX spend is less than $1k/month

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere before, but what are your thoughts on a non-AMEX card as a companion card?

I pretty much use my Platinum Charge for 95% of things but would like to know if I should change things up- currently just use my old ANZ First that I’ve had since I was in uni. I’m Platinum with Qantas so would ideally like something that earns Qantas points but don’t really want to spend too much on another annual fee.
Off top of my head, look at dragon amplify range - both qf and non-qf available and can switch between them (although usual advice is start with qf version)

Whatever card you land on now, remember to churn in 12 months when the annual fee is due. You'll usually get a lower annual free on a new card plus a sign-up bonus.

...There are cards other than Amex out there....!?

Just kidding, and to be frank it doesn't happen often! So rare in fact I use a free ANZ black card due to home loan. So long as you can "ship" the points to the same destination, anything will do.

The Qantas Premier Platinum card is a good one for sign on bonus points and ongoing earn rate of 1:1. I just completed my 6 months sign on bonus for 120,000 points but I think that promotion has finished and another started for less. Only downside is dealing with Citibank who can be stubborn but I recommend the card.

I'm looking for a new non amex card too. We have Centurion cards but I can earn a lot of points on Visa/Mastercard for when AMEX is not possible.

We like to transfer our credit card points to Emirates direct instead of Qantas as we found it was less points for redemption SYD-NY and the taxes were cheaper.

We have a business and put everything on the card and use payment logic when they don't take AMEX, it is great for ATO as there is no half points but full points earn.

I couldn't pay my staff with payment logic as you need to provide an abn to pay a supplier but I found YakPay and they accept Visa/Mastercard but I don't want to keep paying Citibank $700 a year for an uncapped card as I receive all the other benefits with Centurion.

A few people are recommending St George Amplify. I need a non amex with no cap and a reasonable annual fee that I can transfer to Emirates. All suggestions welcome.

I'm looking for a new non amex card too. We have Centurion cards but I can earn a lot of points on Visa/Mastercard for when AMEX is not possible.

We like to transfer our credit card points to Emirates direct instead of Qantas as we found it was less points for redemption SYD-NY and the taxes were cheaper.

We have a business and put everything on the card and use payment logic when they don't take AMEX, it is great for ATO as there is no half points but full points earn.

I couldn't pay my staff with payment logic as you need to provide an abn to pay a supplier but I found YakPay and they accept Visa/Mastercard but I don't want to keep paying Citibank $700 a year for an uncapped card as I receive all the other benefits with Centurion.

A few people are recommending St George Amplify. I need a non amex with no cap and a reasonable annual fee that I can transfer to Emirates. All suggestions welcome.

If you spend only up to $10K per statement period, then you could possibly consider Emirates World Mastercard from Citibank. Citi Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back