Best annual TI policy to replace Amex Platinum policy

Discussion in 'American Express Rewards' started by awilcockson, Mar 7, 2012.

1. awilcockson

awilcockson Established Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Brisbane
    As it seems that quite a few people will be cancelling their Platinum Cards after the recent changes that were announced, and as my question below was lost in the main thread ...

So, thoughts?

I can google and find policies, but I'm interested in people's experiences with particular policies.

Registered Users have the option of removing this and all other advertisementsMoreā€¦

2. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I have been happy with my QBE policy although claims are very slow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timtammi

Timtammi Active Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I'm looking at TID but have had no personal experience with claims so would be interested in hearing others experiences. Thanks for starting the thread awilcockson.

Cheers

Timmi

4. beardoc

beardoc Established Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Sydney, NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Travel Insurance for ex-Amex Platinum Charge Cardholders

Many of us on AFF have held a travel insurance policy through their Amex Platinum Charge Card and Centurion card because it has been quite good in terms of travel insurance benefits, and the fact that you were previously covered for all travel just by virtue of being a Platinum/Centurion cardholder.

That's all changed now: http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/american-express-rewards/change-platinum-card-travel-insurance-37231.html Amex Platinum Charge/Centurion card insurance is now full of exclusions and hurdles to jump that it's not really comprehensive.

There are a number of us (myself included) that are now looking for good comprehensive annual travel insurance policies. I'm interested to know what people are considering, to see if there are options that I might have missed. For those that are considering one of these policies, who are you looking at going with?

5. nlagalle

nlagalle Senior Member

May 24, 2007
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Re: Travel Insurance for ex-Amex Platinum Charge Cardholders

I was looking up TID and so far it looks pretty good.. under $400 for family cover annual policy..

6. awilcockson

Jul 14, 2010
    Brisbane
    $333 for an annual policy seems quite reasonable. The limits are decent, and there doesn't seem to be any ridiculous rules imposed.

7. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Rather than delete the second thread I have merged the two.

8. beardoc

Jul 13, 2005
    Sydney, NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I notice that TID has a Group Travel Insurance offer for 5 or more people, with the option for the Insurance to be paid by individuals (rather than all in one). Maybe AFF could offer a group annual policy discount as an option?

• Like Like x 2
  9. AV8

AV8 Member

Dec 29, 2009
    SYD
    Count me in if this was available.

10. beardoc

Jul 13, 2005
    Sydney, NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The other thing is - what's TID's assessment of pre-existing conditions like? In my family, I need to insure a back condition (stable for a number of years now) and an ischaemic heart disease condition (which most insurance companies consider "high risk").

11. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    15% off code TIDOZ

12. Fifa

Fifa Established Member

Sep 17, 2006
    NSW
    TID Annual Policies:
    Excess is only $100
    For an extra $25 you can remove the excess.

But for the annual policy "you cannot buy travel insurance when departing in more than 30 days time" which means this would not suit a lot of people.
    Do you think it is a mistake, as many people would want to be covered for trips more than 30 days out?​

13. medhead

medhead Suspended

Feb 13, 2008
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Just what to offer a suggestion for a possible candidate. That being Medibank health insurer, who also offer travel insurance. I know mum used them last year for a single trip and I was a bit dismissive as I used TID at the same time.

However, I just compared them today for a single trip against QBE and they were about $60 cheaper and the benefits about the same overall.

On the topic of a greater than 30 day exclusive, how can an annual policy even have such an exclusion?

Sent from the Throne (80% chance) using Aust Freq Fly app

14. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    I think that is to cover possible insolvency claims for people who made arrangements awhile ago before facts started coming out, like recent events....

15. wandersen

wandersen Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Huge number of complicated exclusions for pre-existing medical conditions with TID. I hate to say it, but the Amex Ultimate and Platinum Reserve Credit Cards are still best on this point.

16. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Another to look at is defencehealth dot com dot au

It is not a requirement to be or have been a defence member for the TI option. They are often, though not always competitive but I believe their policy inclusions are quite good.

17. beardoc

Jul 13, 2005
    Sydney, NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The kicker for me with TID is going to be the limit of 38 days for personal travel. My trips often extend to 60-80 days, so I'm not going to be covered. I suspect it's going to be hard to find policies that were similar to Amex - you could travel any number of days as long as it was no more than 183 days per year. Or maybe I'll have to rethink my travels.

18. awilcockson

Jul 14, 2010
    Brisbane
    But when you are travelling for work and have no option to pay for the travel on your Amex.

• Like Like x 1
  19. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    .... or as was my case previously that I had to pay on my company issued Amex green card.

20. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD

QBE is 90 on business.