Bank account in UK for Australian resident

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPS

Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
I'd like to open an account in the UK because I'm planning on spending a few months there next year - I know the big banks won't touch you but does anyone have any suggestions - I know in the 80s I could open a building society account but can't seem to find any of them now - and does anyone know how I can get a Qantas earning credit card there?

TIA

HSBC or an off-shore account in Channel Islands or Isle of Man probably your best bet.

I looked into this earlier this year. Tried some of the majors as well as some offshore banks like Citi by visiting their high street branches in London. None could help. Lloyds and Barclays do have an ability to facilitate opening accounts for offshore residents via their 'international' divisions.
Barclays also issue an Amex charge card product with membership rewards (not sure it includes qantas as a transfer option) and you can choose between pounds, euros or US Dollars as the operating currency. Still has the 3% currency conversion fee should you consider using it back in Australia and you don't build up a U.K. Credit record with it - I'm assuming it's much easier to get than an ordinary credit card.
Generally need a minimum deposit of £30000. Other thing to be aware of is this might not count as a U.K. Retail bank deposit so might not be covered by their deposit guarantee scheme - do your own research if you want to pursue this further.
This link might help you get started if you want to pursue this further.
https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/home/international-banking.htm

Last edited:
HSBC or an off-shore account in Channel Islands or Isle of Man probably your best bet.

I rang HSBC International Banking Centre and asked them if I could open an account in pounds - they said I had to open an account in Australia first - I did that and then rang today to ask if I could open the UK account and apparently because I'm only going for a holiday they wouldn't do it - I might call again next week and see if I get a different answer and may change my answers - if I say I'm going to study they might ask if I have any documented proof

What annoys me was I had a Natwest account when I was working there and closed it - damn

What annoys me was I had a Natwest account when I was working there and closed it - damn

You can get something like the Citi debit card here in Australia. The exchange rate is almost identical to the interbank rate, no fees and no commissions. Really not much difference to having a bank account in the UK. And if you're not working, or intending to work, do you really need one? Cross referencing your other thread... if they find evidence of a UK bank account that might work against you if you get grilled by arrival immigration. It might show you don't intend to leave.

Any chance Natwest can reactivate your account?

(FWIW, you say Australian 'resident'. Do you mean citizen? If not an Aussie citizen that might change the advice in the other thread.)

yes Aussie citizen - I could always ask NatWest but did close it about 15 years ago

yes Aussie citizen - I could always ask NatWest but did close it about 15 years ago

Oddly enough there is a Natwest community forum! A bit like AFF I guess but sponsoed by natwest: https://www.communities.natwest.com/

There's lots of stuff about dormant accounts, maybe you'll find something on closed accounts, or even how they can assist you to open a new account given your prior history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back