Bad experience with Qantas Cash and Paypal with USD transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kceips

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Silver
I recently loaded some $US onto my qantas cash card to pay for an apartment rental through a US booking agency. The invoice stated the transaction amount was $625 US. As I had $800 US in my qantas cash I clicked the websites secure booking link which was done via paypal. I entered the qantas cash card details and clicked OK to the payment of $625 USD. When I looked at my Qantas cash statement it had withdrawn the $500 AUD that I had in my account, then taken the remaining balance from my USD wallet and converted it back to AUD. A very expensive exercise with double foreign currency transactions and a currency conversion fee as well.:shock:
i rang Qantas cash and they told me that paypal recognised the card as Australian and always takes from the AUD wallet first. They were not interested in looking into sorting this out for me and also rejected my suggestion of putting some clarification on the qantas cash website (as they have done warning people to not use qantas cash to secure hotel bookings).
This was the first (and last) time I will use Qantas Cash.
Even if customer service could not solve my issue I was extremely disappointed with their response to my suggestion that they should highlight the problem with using qantas cash and paypal for a foreign currency transaction.

I suspect you missed the paypal part where it offers you by default to charge in AUD, you have to opt out to get a charge in USD from memory, nothing to do really with QF cash I suspect.

I suspect you missed the paypal part where it offers you by default to charge in AUD, you have to opt out to get a charge in USD from memory, nothing to do really with QF cash I suspect.
Mmm - the only option was to PayPal by credit card or PayPal by logging into account. I selected the PayPal by credit card and could only choose USD - there were no options to select! I was on the mobile site so maybe the full site allows for more options!? or maybe you can only select this option if you add your qantas cash card to your own PayPal account. Nonetheless, qantas cash seemed to be aware of this issue but showed no interest in adding this to their list of "card tips"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back