Bad American Express Centurion Card Insurance Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
for those of you who are american express centurion card members who travel frequently, be wary of the travel inconvenience insurance cover that the centurion card provides. i was mistakenly under the impression that this was the best travel inconvenience cover available and often used this mistaken belief to justify the $4300 annual fee. i got stung due to limitations in the policy that i had no idea existed. so buyer beware. do not take for granted that emergency expenses are covered when you most need them.

last december i was flying on ba from cpt-lhr-cdg on an aone6. the flight was delayed for almost 6 hours in cpt for mechanical reasons which meant i missed the last connection to cdg and had to overnight in lhr where it was freezing with gusty ice cold wind. because it was peak season, the earliest connecting flight that ba could get me on from lhr to cdg was late the following afternoon. further, ba was unable to retrieve my luggage as it was checked through to cdg. this meant i was left in london for over 18 hours in very cold weather without a change of clothes and with no sweater. all i had packed in my carry-on was a light windbreaker thinking that it would more than suffice for the car ride in paris where my friends were waiting to pick me up and take me to their apartment.

while i was struggling through the long lines formed from a fully loaded 747's worth of similarly displaced passengers scrambling to collect hotel and meal vouchers and make rebooking arrangements at ba customer service desks in lhr (ba handled the deluge well) and then virtually freezing to death standing for 45 mins in the ice cold weather waiting for a bus to take me to the hotel that ba provided for the night, i repeatedly told myself that this was one of those times that the peace of mind you get when things go wrong really justifies the egregious $4300 annual cost of that titanium piece of wallet jewellery. i knew that my centurion card insurance policy covered up to AUD$700 for emergency items under the travel inconvenience part of the policy, so tired of feeling dirty and cold, the next morning i decided to make the best of my unplanned stop-over. i purchased some clean underwear, socks, a shirt and a sweater and went into the city to play tourist for a few hours until i had to get back to the airport to catch my rebooked flight late that afternoon.

when i returned to sydney i filed a claim with axa insurance (who underwrites the insurance for amex centurion) for the clothes i had to purchase. after long delays and follow-up letters providing "further information" such as proof that i had purchased the ticket and how i had paid for it (on my amex card), proof of my itinerary (even though it was electronic and i had previously sent them original boarding passes and a letter from ba explaining what had happened), etc., i finally received a tersely worded denial letter from them (axa insurance) stating that because london was not my "scheduled destination point" none of my emergency expenses were covered.

moral of the story -- under american express' centurion insurance coverage, travel inconvenience cover is very limited. unless you reach your "scheduled destination point" you cannot claim emergency expenses for anything other than hotel and meals (which in my case were provided by ba) no matter how long or under which conditions you are delayed and/or without your luggage.

Last edited:
for those of you who are american express centurion card members who travel frequently, be wary of the travel inconvenience insurance cover that the centurion card provides. ...

Sorry for your story. That's why I never trust the free insurance from credit card provider, no matter how good they state on the ad, there are always some tricky conditions you will never ever discover. Another side, Ithink because they are free for most gold/platinum cards, apparently they won't let you claim those expenses so easily otherwise all of them will break.

Sorry for your story. That's why I never trust the free insurance from credit card provider, no matter how good they state on the ad, there are always some tricky conditions you will never ever discover. Another side, Ithink because they are free for most gold/platinum cards, apparently they won't let you claim those expenses so easily otherwise all of them will break.

thanks.
yes. i was a fool for buying the market hype that the centurion card provides peace of mind when you need it most.

what rubs salt in the wound is how axa delayed the process and sent me on a wild goose chase to track down additional spurious documentation just to deny my claim. since i included the boarding passes, a cover letter from me outlining everything and a letter from ba explaining exactly what happened in my original claim to them axa could have just explained at the start that emergency clothing expenses are not covered unless the mishap occurs at your final destination.

this certainly limits the value of the insurance to me and tarnishes the value of the centurion card.

I have also had bad experience twice with AXA on AMEX Plat CC (Credit not Charge). So now I just take out a seperate Mondial/TID one and they pay up everytime (So far) for medicals! Sorry about your story!

I have also had bad experience twice with AXA on AMEX Plat CC (Credit not Charge). So now I just take out a seperate Mondial/TID one and they pay up everytime (So far) for medicals! Sorry about your story!

i'm now hearing from quite a few people who have had bad experiences with axa. it appears that they have a reputation for denying claims whenever they can.

i wonder why amex and especially centurion use them as their insurance provider. perhaps this is another one of their cost saving measures.

I've always wondered why amex dont purchase one of those year-long policies for each of their customers and advertise it as that too.

Peace of mind for everyone and a real benefit of having the card....

I've always wondered why amex dont purchase one of those year-long policies for each of their customers and advertise it as that too.

Peace of mind for everyone and a real benefit of having the card....

i agree.
i don't think it would be that expensive (considering the $4300 annual fee we pay) and i think it would do a lot more for good will and the public image of peace of mind that amex centurion are promoting as reasons for carrying their cards.

instead they are delivering a nightmare of surprises and twisted interpretations of the fine print through axa.

Before castigating AXA over this type of claim, I would check what would be the response of other insurers in this type of situation. I would not be surprised if there were limitation in general for a delay at connection point. This may be one of the cases of "problem with relying on cc insurance" but may be normal

The insurance , as you mentioned, would have paid for hotel and related incidentals but not paid out in the manner of delayed baggage at a destination for allowing purchases of items such as clothes. I would suspect that other insurance policies may well be similar in this respect

Dave

Sorry to read about that plight.

I am sure you can gain some compensation from BA for this; although it would have been best to do so before departing the airport (LHR).

BA DO have a facility for providing cash/credit for emergency items in situations such as these. This is generally available from baggage services at the airport.

See references in this thread:

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...baggage-qantas-19654.html?highlight=insurance

I am sure you can gain some compensation from BA for this; although it would have been best to do so before departing the airport (LHR).

BA DO have a facility for providing cash/credit for emergency items in situations such as these. This is generally available from baggage services at the airport.

Agreed. Last year on a DONE4, I checked my baggage at Singapore three hours prior to the flight to LHR, with an eight hour break, and then onto Toronto. The baggage did not arrive in Toronto. Without having to request it, BA handed me an envelope with a BA Visa card loaded with GBP150, which I used for clothes purchases the next day.

Despite being OW Emerald, my bag missed the THREE direct LHR/YYV flights the next day and arrived two days after me, at about 11pm. the money for clothes was appreciated.

Having had a good experience with Amex Plat Ins. recently I was planning on relying on it far more in the future. I have now printed out the entire T&C's and will read (and re-read) carefully.

My good experience was one where a travel operator (NOT a registered Travel Agent) went into receivership holding $2000 in deposits (paid on Amex) for a China Golf trip. Amex/AXA paid me back the entire amount.:D A colleague who had paid his deposit with an Amex Gold was not so fortunate and reading the terms of the Gold Insurance showed there were significant differences. Others who had full travel policies were also excluded as they did not cover a non registered operator.

BD2068

Before castigating AXA over this type of claim, I would check what would be the response of other insurers in this type of situation. I would not be surprised if there were limitation in general for a delay at connection point. This may be one of the cases of "problem with relying on cc insurance" but may be normal

The insurance , as you mentioned, would have paid for hotel and related incidentals but not paid out in the manner of delayed baggage at a destination for allowing purchases of items such as clothes. I would suspect that other insurance policies may well be similar in this respect

Dave

i agree. and the purpose of my post was to help others realise what the hidden term "destination point" actually means so that they don't get caught out like i did. i assumed that mis-connecting and being without luggage at any point in my itinerary was a "destination point". after all, they all were stop-overs on the aone6.

regarding castigating axa, regardless of the terms, they didn't handle this well at all in my eyes. as the whole situation was very clear from the beginning (through my cover letter and the letter that ba wrote to them everything was explained in great detail) so axa's subsequent requests for everything from proof of my entry into and out of australia (original boarding passes--(how often can we as frequent flyers find those months later?)), original paper proof of payment for my eticket, paper itinerary from the travel agent (aa), all this was spurious and unnecessary as my claim was already invalid by the very fact that my bags were checked through to cdg. i'm angry at them because they sent me on wild goose chases that had nothing to do with the issue at hand and delayed the claim for months.

See references in this thread:

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/com...baggage-qantas-19654.html?highlight=insurance

thanks. i know they would have given me some form of compensation but i didn't ask for anything more than the hotel, transport and food vouchers. ba handled the debacle very well in my eyes and i wasn't concerned with requesting anything more when i was standing in line at the customer service because i figured if i needed something later i'd just buy it and claim it on my insurance (and i decided to do just that the next morning).

i posted my experiences so others could learn from my mistakes and not repeat them. i made assumptions that weren't valid based on my understanding of the amex centurion card insurance terms and conditions (which i had read carefully). i had no idea that a "scheduled destination point" meant where your luggage was checked and not necessarily the destination point of the flight where you end up stranded without your luggage. so to others out there, be careful taking for granted that the centurion insurance covers travel incoveniences. it is quite limited in this regard and axa will enforce these limitations.

Last edited:
Personally I'd be contacting Amex and informing them of a denied claim that would otherwise be approved under 'paid' insurance.

It makes AMEX look bad when this happends, and I'm sure they don't want to tarnish the relationship you have with them around the time of the yearly fee....

Personally I'd be contacting Amex and informing them of a denied claim that would otherwise be approved under 'paid' insurance.

I would check whether other insurance companies would pay out for replacement clothes under this. The luggage at this time had not been delayed , it was enroute to its intended destination rather than delayed/missing

Dave

thanks. i know they would have given me some form of compensation but i didn't ask for anything more than the hotel, transport and food vouchers. ...
Let this be a warning to all travellers.

If an airline fails to re-unite you with your bags after a flight whether diverted, delayed or simply lost, always endeavour to get cash/credit for emergency expenses from the airline and do so before departing the airport.

Do this even if you think your insurance* may cover you.

*If any claim you make is successful, be rest assured that the insurance company will almost certainly recover their costs from the airline.

If an airline fails to re-unite you with your bags after a flight whether diverted, delayed or simply lost, always endeavour to get cash/credit for emergency expenses from the airline and do so before departing the airport.

*If any claim you make is successful, be rest assured that the insurance company will almost certainly recover their costs from the airline.

I don't see how this is a warning. The OP stated that the insurance company would cover items such as hotel and meals which is what the airline provided. All it shows ( to me) is that might as well not waste time trying to extract from the airline when the insurance will cover it anyway, especially if it is a delay where there is a queue of passengers all wanting assistance

Dave

I don't see how this is a warning. The OP stated that the insurance company would cover items such as hotel and meals which is what the airline provided. All it shows ( to me) is that might as well not waste time trying to extract from the airline when the insurance will cover it anyway, especially if it is a delay where there is a queue of passengers all wanting assistance

Dave
Dave,

Call it what you like, but at the very least it is a very practical piece of advice to highlight for for travellers who may not otherwise think of it. Particularly those who have just landed at the end of a very long flight.

You may not immediately get everything immediately but you should at least get a basic 'help or emergency kit'.

I don't see how this is a warning. The OP stated that the insurance company would cover items such as hotel and meals which is what the airline provided. ...
The OP also stated the following:
... i knew that my centurion card insurance policy covered up to AUD$700 for emergency items under the travel inconvenience part of the policy, so tired of feeling dirty and cold, ... i purchased some clean underwear, socks, a shirt and a sweater ...
The insurance company subsequently denied the claim for "emergency Items".

It would have been better for the OP to obtain funding from BA for said "emergency items" before departing the airport.

Even now, there's little to stop the OP from asking for compensation from BA for these emergency items, although the effort may not be cost-beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back