Australian CC for AA rewards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djc0

Does anyone know of an Australian credit card through which I can collect AAdvantage awards? Or similar but non-AU that I can easily pay off with AUD (e.g. through PayPal perhaps)?

Thanks.

I use Amex Platinum Edge for my AAdvantage miles, laundered through SPG of course.

If going down the Amex to SPG to AA miles route, the David jones Amex is a little better than the platinum edge (bar the flight)

$99 gets you 30k DJMR* points = 15k SPG = 15k AA miles.
the dj Amex earns 3 DJMR* points per dollar at supermarkets and petrol stations (=1.5 AA mile)
1 DJMR pt elsewhere ( = 0.5 AA mile )

* the DJMR program is different from the normal ascent MR program offered on the platinum edge, with worse transfer rates to airlines, but exact same rates to SPG, making it a better point earner for SPG with beefier sign on and cheaper annual fee.

the platinum version of the DJ Amex adds 4 DJMR points per dollar spent at David jones and a bigger sign on of 40k points, but comes with a $295 annual fee

Thanks for that summary. I've had the DJ platinum for about a year now (annual fee coming up will try to get waived). Initially went with the QF option but switched after I got the initial bonus to DJ MR. Definitely good value with SPG to AA.

Does anyone know if ordering the 5% discount wish cards with the DJ Amex gets 3 points/dollar?

Does anyone know if ordering the 5% discount wish cards with the DJ Amex gets 3 points/dollar?
No, it won't, since the 5% discounted cards are not purchased from a major supermarket. If you buy the cards from a supermarket (such as Woolies) then they do earn 3 points. But when buying the cards from the likes of RACWA or similar, they do not earn 3 points per dollar.

No, it won't, since the 5% discounted cards are not purchased from a major supermarket. If you buy the cards from a supermarket (such as Woolies) then they do earn 3 points. But when buying the cards from the likes of RACWA or similar, they do not earn 3 points per dollar.

Aww. =(

I like AA points, but I don't think I value them at 3.3c each.

Has anyone actually tried this? I took a look at an invoice and it say Woolworths Limited all over it. No mention of the Entertainment book, which is where I got the deal through.

Last edited:
Aww. =(

I like AA points, but I don't think I value them at 3.3c each.

Has anyone actually tried this? I took a look at an invoice and it say Woolworths Limited all over it. No mention of the Entertainment book, which is where I got the deal through.

Interesting, are you saying that you use the entertainment book to buy the wish cards direct from woolworths online? (presumably with some sort of coupon)

I don't have the entertainment book so I don't know how the offer works.

Edit : I do, however have RACV membership and noticed a specific webpage on the woolworths everyday giftcards website for it.
https://www.membergiftcards.com.au/RACV/home/home

Whether or not this will qualify for the 3 points will depend on whether this website counts as a supermarket, to which I believe the answer is no. If anyone else has evidence to the contrary, i'd be very interested to know.

Last edited:
Interesting, are you saying that you use the entertainment book to buy the wish cards direct from woolworths online? (presumably with some sort of coupon)

I don't have the entertainment book so I don't know how the offer works.

Edit : I do, however have RACV membership and noticed a specific webpage on the woolworths everyday giftcards website for it.
https://www.membergiftcards.com.au/RACV/home/home

Whether or not this will qualify for the 3 points will depend on whether this website counts as a supermarket, to which I believe the answer is no. If anyone else has evidence to the contrary, i'd be very interested to know.

Entertainment book offer is the same website, maybe woolworths runs the site?

I'm pretty tempted by this card with the prospect of getting AA earn via SPG. To be honest, even transfer to things like KrisFlyer don't seem too bad as the 1 => 0.5 transfer rate is offset by the 3 points/dollar at supermarkets/petrol stations.

I think I'm going to have to try this out. I've picked up 2 new credit cards in the last 2 months though, so I might chill for a bit before putting in another application.

Entertainment book offer is the same website, maybe woolworths runs the site?

I'm pretty tempted by this card with the prospect of getting AA earn via SPG. To be honest, even transfer to things like KrisFlyer don't seem too bad as the 1 => 0.5 transfer rate is offset by the 3 points/dollar at supermarkets/petrol stations.

I think I'm going to have to try this out. I've picked up 2 new credit cards in the last 2 months though, so I might chill for a bit before putting in another application.

It is a woolies run site, the downside is from what I can tell, AMEX won't count it as a supermarket.

Hi,

I have just found out that if you apply for an Amex Gold Card through a referral link you get 30000 MR points as a bonus. The annual fee is $130 and MR Assent is $80 per year meaning $210 total. An unadvertised bonus is that you can get the Amex Platinum Edge card with the higher earn rate for no extra fees.

I have just got both cards myself and have the bonus points already. My referral link is:

https://www.americanexpress.com/aus...dCard&CPID=999996001&MGM_URN=AAAAEg0bHx8dCg==

The full story is explained courtesy of PointsHack and he also has a referral link which I used but feel free to use mine above instead!

American Express Gold Charge Guide - How to get a no fee Platinum Edge

Hope it helps,

Dale.

Hi,

I have just found out that if you apply for an Amex Gold Card through a referral link you get 30000 MR points as a bonus. The annual fee is $130 and MR Assent is $80 per year meaning $210 total. An unadvertised bonus is that you can get the Amex Platinum Edge card with the higher earn rate for no extra fees.

I have just got both cards myself and have the bonus points already. My referral link is:

https://www.americanexpress.com/aus...dCard&CPID=999996001&MGM_URN=AAAAEg0bHx8dCg==

The full story is explained courtesy of PointsHack and he also has a referral link which I used but feel free to use mine above instead!

Hope it helps,

Dale.

Thanks for the link Dale but I am unsure if such referral links are allowed on AFF? If yes, would have been a good idea to start a CONGA...

If I have done wrong then mods just delete my link and leave the PointsHack article.

Certainly a great offer and once you have the card you can get 5K MR points for a $150 charity donation at the moment and tax deductible even.

Dale.

Hi,

Hope it helps,

Dale.

Hi Dale,

Just wondering how long it took the bonus points to credit? Was it first statement? Mrs D has just got the Amex GC and we have a use in mind for the bonus points!

I couldn't get the online joining of MR to work for me so I rang up Amex and joined MR (the $80 fee) over the phone. Then had the bonus points within about 24 hours. If you haven't got them yet then give Amex a call and enquire. I have only had the card for about a week and half.

Dale.

If I have done wrong then mods just delete my link and leave the PointsHack article.

Certainly a great offer and once you have the card you can get 5K MR points for a $150 charity donation at the moment and tax deductible even.

Dale.

Hi Dale,

Did the 5 MK for $150 charity donation only apply to the Gold Card? I have the Plat Edge and it doesn't appear in my saved offers but interesting offer none the less!

Cheers,

Ellie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back