Aust Post Travel Money Card + Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvyk

Qantas
Gold
Well, after seeing this post by admin -> http://www.australianfrequentflyer....on/best-tips-saving-money-overseas-43554.html
I decided to look into the Aust post travel money card + insurance.

First of all the travel insurance. OK this will be my shortest trip to the US thus far, I usually booked travel insurance via Flight Center through covermore. I'm normally up for around the $100 mark, even for as shorter time as I am going. But after reading over the Aust Post insurance and noticing it has roughly the same amount of inclusions as covermore and it was only quoting me $79, I though sounds good. This was for online.

So I went into the Aust Post Office around the corner from work this morning and spoke to the girl behind the desk, who showed me where they keep the cards. It took all of two minutes and only cost me $45, and the insurance was done... I have a feeling a staff discount of $5 was applied, as it was meant to be $50, a bit strange but I'm not complaining.

The next part was the travel money card, I paid $550 AUD, and got on in $543 USD, and again I wasn't charged any fees for the privilege. As a side note, comm bank would have only given me $540 USD, and then charged me another $8 AUD for the privilege of buying their money card. The money card itself is valid to 2017, and more importantly it has raised numbers which means carbons can be taken, I have a comm bank card money card as well, the numbers are not raised which means electronic transactions only. So I guess the moment of truth will be when I rock up in the US in two weeks time, and place my card down on the table to buy the fly-a-way bus ticket. Again this was super easy to arrange, no stuffing around, just here is your card, hand over name address and phone number, plus some cash and here is the card ready to go.

I don't know if these prices was because this is all still very new and it's the first time she'd done this (and thus forgot to charge fees, or she decided to give me a discount for some reason), but in terms of cheap and very easy currency exchange and cheap and very easy travel insurance, I'm very happy.

Ok, found my first grip, the pin can not be changed. The inability to set a meaningful (to me, virtually impossible for anyone else to guess) means I'll probably need to take a copy of the pin with me, not sure I overly like that...

Gripe number 2 - the sticker to remind you that you need to activate the card is near impossible to remove cleanly... I can live with that one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back