Applying for 2 AMEX to get MR bonuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZflygirl

Established Member
Hi, just after some advice. I'm thinking about applying for the platinum charge card and platinum edge with a view to dumping possibly the charge card later? I was just wondering if I can sign up for each at the same time from NZ and get the 20,000 for the edge and 80,000 for the charge card or if they will only allow one sign up bonus offer?

Secondly, I already have priority pass through another card, the Accor plus card until March or May 2017, SPG and HH gold, I don't use Carlson or Shangri-La really so I'm just wondering if I should wait for my Accor card at least to run out and my gold with SPG (Dec 2017?) and HH gold Apr 2017? or thereabouts before applying? Thing is I really want the sign up offers AND to use the edge as a joint card with partner (I am looking at another visa card as a back up to the amex edge given its not accepted everywhere). It's $1250 annual fee. If I had none of these things I think it would be worth it but I have a couple of the goodies already so not sure about the skew!

The partner can't join as he has one currently but we will probably cycle them every alternate year between us for the bonuses.

Hi, just after some advice. I'm thinking about applying for the platinum charge card and platinum edge with a view to dumping possibly the charge card later? I was just wondering if I can sign up for each at the same time from NZ and get the 20,000 for the edge and 80,000 for the charge card or if they will only allow one sign up bonus offer?

Topical subject at the moment :p. I can't comment on NZ specifically, so my post below, copied from a post I placed in another thread, directly relates to Australia:

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, both here and elsewhere and my completely unscientifically tested hypothesis is the same as decs, if you don't hold an existing Membership Rewards account of the type attached to the card you are opening you'll most likely get the bonus points.

From my own personal experience, over the last ten or so years, here is what has happened:

• Current Platinum Edge -> Applied for Platinum Charge = success, bonus points credited
  • Current Qantas Premium -> Applied for DJ's Platinum = success, bonus points credited
  • Closed Qantas Premium (about 9 mths prior) -> Applied for Qantas Ultimate = FAIL! Bonus points didn't credit
When I rang AMEX about the last one they said it was because I hadn't waited 12 months before reapplying, take from that what you will. No manner of attempting to get them to credit the points anyway worked, so I closed the account and received a full pro-rata refund (this was about 5 years ago).

So in your case if you don't have another Ascent Premium account, which you most likely don't, I think you'll get the points - but I certainly wouldn't guarantee it. If it fails though, as others have said, I don't think you have any problems getting the annual fee refunded.

Based on this theory, if you are planning on applying for multiple products in the Ascent MR range (eg Plat Edge, Plat Charge etc), I think it is best to "move up" the card range to get the bonus points. Eg:

• Apply for an Edge first and then the Platinum Charge second.
I'm going to give this hypothesis another test in the next few days and see if I can add another AMEX card to my collection in the great "July / August AMEX points bonanza".

Good luck in your AMEX point collect endeavours, may the points be with you!

I'm not sure what would happen if you applied for both at the same time, it would probably be fine as you don't have any AMEX accounts, but I don't have any data points to base that on.

If you apply one at a time, I would definitely recommend applying for the Edge before the Charge, based on all the reading I've done here that has the most chance (a high chance too) off both bonus's being credited (I think I've seen one or two posts where they missed out on the 2nd bonus, but I couldn't be exactly sure which order they had applied for the cards).

Good luck!

Thanks bluey - I think it will be worth it overall just even for the MR points which I'd love to use to top up airline accounts.

Hi NZflygirl,

I applied for the Platinum Charge in April 2016 and received the 120K bonus points as soon as I hit the target spend. I also applied for the Edge after 2 weeks of receiving the Charge and I also got the bonus points on that card as soon as I hit the target. Can't say if that's the norm or the exception though...

The Priority Pass on other cards is different to the Platinum Charge in 2 ways - firstly, it's unlimited access to all the member lounges (my Citibank is only a couple per year, can't remember how many) and secondly, it is also available to your supplementary holder which is so useful when travelling as a couple!

And wrt the hotel memberships, you may not be aware but Accor is no longer included as of mid-april, and membership to other hotel loyalty programs is optional and not automatic upon card approval.

Hope that helps!

Secondly, I already have priority pass through another card, the Accor plus card until March or May 2017, SPG and HH gold, I don't use Carlson or Shangri-La really so I'm just wondering if I should wait for my Accor card at least to run out and my gold with SPG (Dec 2017?) and HH gold Apr 2017? or thereabouts before applying? Thing is I really want the sign up offers AND to use the edge as a joint card with partner (I am looking at another visa card as a back up to the amex edge given its not accepted everywhere). It's $1250 annual fee. If I had none of these things I think it would be worth it but I have a couple of the goodies already so not sure about the skew!

The partner can't join as he has one currently but we will probably cycle them every alternate year between us for the bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back