ANZ removing points earn on ATO payments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks, this is such a shame!! look like ANZ has singled out ATO deliberately. The only positive with the black card is the uncapped points, otherwise there is not much of an advantage given the high annual fees.

Just got the letter from ANZ today stating the change in conditions for the rewards. Look like BPay transactions are also going to be excluded from earning points after February 26? I hope thats not the case.

Just got the letter from ANZ today stating the change in conditions for the rewards. Look like BPay transactions are also going to be excluded from earning points after February 26? I hope thats not the case.

Looks like I will cancel too. Just took it out 2 months ago,fee free first 12 months plus 75,000 points. Good whilst it lasted.
Just pay $ 2,500 per month minimum on a Qantas WOW M/Card @ 1:1, balance is at .5: $ 1.00, not great but better than nothing

Carp. Just got approved for this card. Will have to bash it pre Feb.

It's a great card otherwise. Good insurances, reasonable annual fee, good points earn.

Will make a big payment to ATO come Feb, but will keep the card.

It's a great card otherwise. Good insurances, reasonable annual fee, good points earn.

Will make a big payment to ATO come Feb, but will keep the card.

Is it a good card? I'm about to apply, given fee free first year and points earn that I'll direct at VA - but if I had to pay the annual fee I'd run a mile (what is it $375? $395?) - there doesn't seem to be anything particularly special now that the ATO is out (and government charges...what are these? Rates?), aside from the effective 1:1 earn on other purchases - most of which would be scooped up by an Amex at the same or greater earn.

I received the card the other day. I plan on using it in Dubai this month, and then the first (but now only) ATO payment in late February before the cut off. The 50,000 points will be nice but once the ATO cut out then I will cancel before this time next year.

By the by - I was just link surfing after investigating, or trying to investigate, the lounge access for the Black version of this card - ended up looking at the equivalent from ANZ Singapore ... its a 'Traveller' card, looks black and the same as the ANZ Black here. Anyway, the perks that come with the SIN version are massive compared to our meagre offering and they seem to be actively promoting the payment of SIN taxes using the card as a feature!!!

I'll pound this card over the next 2-3 months, have a heap of taxes to get out of the way and have been holding off as I used to use the WoW card ... though last time I ended up using Amex (!!).

That should take care of the $7500 spend to gain the 75K points - after that 1:$1 transfers to VA look inviting, but the cards life is going to be limited with no ATO payments - were are we all going to head next?

I'll pound this card over the next 2-3 months, have a heap of taxes to get out of the way and have been holding off as I used to use the WoW card ... though last time I ended up using Amex (!!).

That should take care of the $7500 spend to gain the 75K points - after that 1:$1 transfers to VA look inviting, but the cards life is going to be limited with no ATO payments - were are we all going to head next?
To WOW QF C/card and be prepared to settle for $ 2,500 @ 1:1 and the balance @ .5:1 on the balance I guess

Does anyone have a link or picture of the T&C's change to deny points on Bpay transactions and when it starts?

Last edited:
Beyond my IT ability but the date for zero points on BPay commences effectively on 27th Feb as I kept the "small print".

The only change I see in relation to Bpay is where payments made via the scheme to billers who don't accept credit card (via Bpay) will be treated as cash advances. I can't see any mention of Bpay as a whole being excluded from earning points.

Since the starting gun was fired I have been active with 3 ANZ cards as they have effectively told us the points earn is good until 26th February. Ready, set and go!

Thankfully, I think (hope) cove is wrong on the Bpay issue.

He had me worried, so I've checked the changes:

ANZ Changes - Album on Imgur

against the existing Ts&Cs:

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/anz-creditcards-conditions-of-use.pdf

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/rewards-terms-conditions.pdf

and I think we're still OK on Bpay on this card.

As Plutonus said, the only mention of Bpay is in the definition of "cash advance" at sub-paragraph (e) where the recipient does not accept credit card payments, which is relevantly the same as the existing clause.

I pay commercial rent by Bpay, so this is a significant points earner for me and this card is my best option, so hopefully nothing changes on this front.

Thankfully, I think (hope) cove is wrong on the Bpay issue.

He had me worried, so I've checked the changes:

ANZ Changes - Album on Imgur

against the existing Ts&Cs:

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/anz-creditcards-conditions-of-use.pdf

https://www.anz.com.au/content/dam/anzcomau/documents/pdf/rewards-terms-conditions.pdf

and I think we're still OK on Bpay on this card.

As Plutonus said, the only mention of Bpay is in the definition of "cash advance" at sub-paragraph (e) where the recipient does not accept credit card payments, which is relevantly the same as the existing clause.

I pay commercial rent by Bpay, so this is a significant points earner for me and this card is my best option, so hopefully nothing changes on this front.
I reckon this is a YMMV situation...and a small test payment after 27 Feb needs to be made to be 100% sure ;)

Yes BtF we can use you as the tester.....thanks we have volunteered you as the official tester after the 26th February.
I have a BW card coming and I think I am at my mental limit of CCs.
This month I am only paying xx_,xx_ to the ATO and next month has the quarterlies on top so that is an ouch. I think some can get a month of extra time but with ANZ conking out on 26/02 we need to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back