ANZ Launches AMEX/VISA Qantas Card - Changes to points earn on VISA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutcase

ANZ has just launched a new range of AMEX/VISA Qantas Frequent Flyer Cards. Basically the same gig as NAB, however the points earn is a little different. Also - Still a 55 day card (Gold and Platinum)

Points earn on $1 spent is;

Classic Visa = 0.5
Standard AMEX =1

Gold Visa = 0.5
Gold AMEX = 1.25

Platinum Visa =0.5
Platinum AMEX = 1.5

Now uncapped

Annual fees (for new customers) are;

Standard $95
Gold $195
Platinum $295

Any feedback from existing customers as to what special deals ANZ are offering would be interesting.

It seems the annual fee jumped quite a lot for the gold & Platinum cards. Meanwhile, ANZ lows the earning rate on its visa card, before was 1:1 up to $2500, now it is only half from the beginning.

Is that the end of the 1 point per $ visa cards?

Not sure about the fees jumping, the gold fee seems about the same as my current ANZ FF gold visa fee. But as I have 4 different cards, i often get confused on which fee is which.

Has anyone called to find out what deals they're doing for existing card holders? On the face of it this product doesn't look too bad (yes you lose the 1:1 on Visa but that was only on the first $2500 anyway). The platinum fee is much less than the Amex Qantas Ultimate (or Amex Platinum) which are the only other 1.5:1 Amex cards that I know of.

Has anyone called to find out what deals they're doing for existing card holders? On the face of it this product doesn't look too bad (yes you lose the 1:1 on Visa but that was only on the first $2500 anyway). The platinum fee is much less than the Amex Qantas Ultimate (or Amex Platinum) which are the only other 1.5:1 Amex cards that I know of.

But you're not getting a free flight or hotel stay with the new ANZ cards :cool:

But you're not getting a free flight or hotel stay with the new ANZ cards :cool:

True, but I'd rather spend $295/yr and get a J flight on points than spend $495/yr and get a Y flight that I can't upgrade :)

True, but I'd rather spend $295/yr and get a J flight on points than spend $495/yr and get a Y flight that I can't upgrade :)

By paying the difference, you can book into an upgradeable fare bucket and thus able to upgrade.

So, I've just called ANZ - it seems there's a great deal of confusion about the new AX/VI range of products; I was transferred a few times.

In any case, currently speaking, existing card holders have the opportunity to move to the new AX/VI product, however it's not mandatory at this stage (*phew*). The CS rep I spoke to couldn't understand why I'd not want to change! All that being said they didn't seem too keen to make me any offers to move to the new product, so I've no idea whether anything special is being offered.

So, there goes one of the only remaining 1:1 QFF-earning VI/MC products. :(

This is pretty identical to the Westpac Earth card now with, 2 cards, 1 account, uncapped points, american express with the higher earning power. Still I prefer my Earth cards cause my annual fee is cheaper than the $95 and with Earth only $75, wouldn't customers choose Earth as it's better value.

The one thing I like about the ANZ card is that it allows 3 additional card holders but offcourse each card gets slapped a $55 annual rewards fee. :eek:

I checked my last statement dated 18JUL and there is no mention of a change to my existing points earning.

There is mention of a change from "ANZ Frequent Flyer Visa Credit Card" to "ANZ Frequent Flyer". ("The change has been made to focus on what matters to you - Qantas Frequent Flyer Points and travel." :rolleyes:)

I do note the web page refers to "New Applicants" in regard to the point earning referenced in the OP.

I have had a Platinum QANTAS FF Visa for a couple of years and I have had nothing in the mail about any changes. Very Strange.

Will see what they offer and then will decide.

Well, there is the earth platinum AMEX/MC that costs only about $250 per year and has the same earning power. There is also the NAB platinum AMEX/Visa deal which is $295 and earns 2 points per $3 on the visa, 1.5 points on the AMEX. But reduces after that. :(

The ANZ 1:1 was great because my first $2500 of non AMEX spend per month went there, followed by the NAB visa at 2:3. SWMBO used the Earth AMEX or NAB visa. Plus the school fees are <$2500 per child and can be spread over 2 months. Overall a big loss and I'll most likely kill the ANZ Visa as a result - shame really, but I can't justify the fee when my other cards get me better.

Well, there is the earth platinum AMEX/MC that costs only about $250 per year and has the same earning power. There is also the NAB platinum AMEX/Visa deal which is $295 and earns 2 points per $3 on the visa, 1.5 points on the AMEX. But reduces after that. :(

The ANZ 1:1 was great because my first $2500 of non AMEX spend per month went there, followed by the NAB visa at 2:3. SWMBO used the Earth AMEX or NAB visa. Plus the school fees are <$2500 per child and can be spread over 2 months. Overall a big loss and I'll most likely kill the ANZ Visa as a result - shame really, but I can't justify the fee when my other cards get me better.

Seems NAB is the best out of NAB, Westpac & ANZ.

Westpac has a major limitation of not rewarding points for BPAY transactions.

ANZ offers 1:2 points for the Visa card whilst NAB offers 2:3.

Now that the points earning of ANZ Visa Gold has dropped from 1:1 to 1:.5 can anyone advise what 'Visa' card offers the best earn, and it would appear that 1:1 would be all you would get these days. I put most of my monthly spend on AMEX Premium, but use the Visa for spend where Amex not accepted and would average $5K-$6K per months on Visa alone. (From a quick search of the websites it looks like the QF earn rate on NAB is worse than ANZ)

(From a quick search of the websites it looks like the QF earn rate on NAB is worse than ANZ)

NAB is better than ANZ for Visa transaction.
NAB Platinum: 0.66 point per 1 dollar
ANZ Platinum: 0.5 point per 1 dollar

That is for dual cards account only. Otherwise, CBA Platinum is still 1 point per 1 dollar with 150000 cap.

I can tell you now if they make existing card holders go over onto these new cards I will be giving up on FF Cards altogether.

I have had an ANZ Gold Visa card for a couple of years and earning ff at the rate of 1:1 (up to $2500), and as a result of this thread I contacted ANZ yesterday where I was informed that even though I am an existing Gold Visa card holder I am being changed to a dual card holder; that I will receive my ANZ Amex card in the mail shortly and that the earn rate for my existing ANZ Gold Visa has dropped from 1:1 to 1:.5. There is no such thing as loyalty with cards so I will now look at changing to the CBA Plat card which, according the a previous post and the CBA website they still offer 1:1 earn.

and as a result of this thread I contacted ANZ yesterday where I was informed that even though I am an existing Gold Visa card holder I am being changed to a dual card holder;

Are they doing this to everyone? Unhappy if so :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back