Anyone want to buy an old Convair 580? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Anyone want to buy an old Convair 580?

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Kiwi airline Air Chathams is retiring its Convair 580 aircraft and auctioning it off.

The starting bid is NZ$20,000. The main catch is that you'd have to transport it by road from Auckland Airport. (The aircraft won't fly again as the engines etc. have been removed.) Air Chathams would like to sell the plane to somebody that will do something "cool" with it, such as opening a food truck. Anyone interested?

FWIW, I flew on this plane back in 2016 and it was a really cool experience as the plane was built in the 1950s. It's the oldest commercial aircraft I ever flew on. I wrote a trip report at the time: Air Chatams: A step back in time

SOPOOR

AFF Supporter
Kiwi airline Air Chathams is retiring its Convair 580 aircraft and auctioning it off.

The starting bid is NZ$20,000. The main catch is that you'd have to transport it by road from Auckland Airport. (The aircraft won't fly again as the engines etc. have been removed.) Air Chathams would like to sell the plane to somebody that will do something "cool" with it, such as opening a food truck. Anyone interested?

FWIW, I flew on this plane back in 2016 and it was a really cool experience as the plane was built in the 1950s. It's the oldest commercial aircraft I ever flew on. I wrote a trip report at the time: Air Chatams: A step back in time
so cool on so many levels

kelvedon

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I can remember as a child flying on an earlier version of these (the CV 440) in the 60"s when Swissair had them.
Originally they had eight of the CV240, but one crashed into the English Chanel because the pilots forgot to refuel at LHR. These were upgraded to the CV440's but one crashed in Ireland on its deliver flight, and another hit a hill on a training flight.

trooper

AFF Supporter
I like the way they are hoping for an interesting home for the old bird. I think it a shame the undercarriage is not included...

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockitinbuddy