Another Dubai fiasco [PAX deported after trying to enter with expired passport]

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by cambriamarsh, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:36 PM.

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
(Click HERE for a welcome message from our founder.)

Our site contains tons of information that is guaranteed to improve your travel experience. Be it tips on how to fly in First/Business at a reduced cost, smart ways to earn more points, the best way to use your points, cheap deals, hand-picked hotel recommendations, detailed trip reports.

We hope you find the information useful and decide to join our online community.

Joining AFF is fast, simple and ABSOLUTELY FREE - so why not join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear freeing up more space on your screen!
And you will see fewer advertisements :)

1. cambriamarsh

cambriamarsh Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Auckland
    Does anyone know any more about this, courtesy NZ Herald
    Advertisement

Mum and daughter locked up in Dubai jail for three days for having wine on flight

On an EK flight from London to Dubai no less! If true and not a beat up would appear that 90% of adult passengers are at risk when flying into DXB.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jacques Vert

Jacques Vert Established Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Coffs Harbour
    #2 Jacques Vert, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:42 PM
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    Read that report too. Apparently the OP decided to argue with the officials about her visa having expired.

Seems to me it's not a good idea to argue, rant, become loud, etc., whether you have had one drink, or two, or even none at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Denali

Denali Established Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sydney suburbs
    From what I read, she arrived with expired visa and kicked up a stink when told she had to return to the UK.

4. cambriamarsh

cambriamarsh Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Auckland
    Still seems a bit OTT to lock her up!

5. GPH

GPH Established Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brisbane Bayside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I feel for the lady, but frankly as an intelligent / Professional woman I would have thought she would have done her homework. It is also a matter of public recorded what happens if you run foul of petty officials in a society where women are still largely treated as chattels.
    I for one have had my fill of the Middle East, and flying via Hong Kong or Singapore to Europe is a much better opinion IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 11
  6. Denali

Denali Established Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sydney suburbs
    Depends how much of a stink she kicked up. Remember, she's a visitor in a very male dominated country. Tread lightly, especially if you're in the wrong in the first place ie, visa expired.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    There is so much more to this story. We were even served alcohol on QR before the doors had closed in Doha during Ramadan. And Qatar is far stricter than Dubai.

And why did she need a visa in the first place?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Only citizens from a handful of countries can get a VOA. Anyway, it seems to have all gone downhill when she tried to record the argument with the officer.

9. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    She was Swedish. Perhaps she got her dates wrong, stayed for longer than 90 days already - she did something wrong I’d say

ED156975-AB66-4F67-810E-E69BC70EDADA.png

10. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. mannej

mannej Senior Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Perth
    Without reading the article, I’m assuming it is clickbait?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Nisho

Nisho Junior Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    I believe recording a person in UAE is deemed illegal which prompted her arrest.

Re: the visa, I’m surprised she was not refused boarding in the UK, but then again it should have been her responsibility to verify her visa status.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. odysseus

odysseus Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    So, basically... nothing to do with having wine on the flight.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. JohnPhelan

JohnPhelan Established Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Brisbane
    Filming immigration officers in the processing area is banned in just about every country in the world! She had an expired visa, argued with the officer, filmed the officer in a no-filming-permitted area, and …..was obviously intoxicated. Hours later, she recorded a BAC of .04%.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    There may well be more to the story but regardless appears to be an extreme overreaction in handling the situation.

And now forced to wait until the trial?

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. cambriamarsh

cambriamarsh Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Auckland
    Please tell more

17. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    #17 MEL_Traveller, Aug 11, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    I saw some program on this... alcohol in the system is a problem and can get you in trouble. 99.999% of time it doesn’t matter... you go out for a night and have no reason to be stopped by the police. But if you do something which gets you arrested, and they test for alcohol, then you get done for that as well.

I think the program was about a man and woman kissing (goodbye to each other)... cousins or something. They got done for that but also for the alcohol in their system.

edited... i see all of my post is covered in the news articles on line today (intoxication etc etc)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Renato1

Renato1 Established Member

May 1, 2015
    Melbourne
    When discussing overseas travel with people who don't travel much, I often initially get weird looks when I say that Dubai is a favourite destination of my wife and me. I guess it's due to fake news headlines like this one - when one knows there is no problem getting alcohol in the Dubai hotels and Emirates planes..

More importantly, unlike in other Islamic countries, I actually got real bacon with my eggs for breakfast instead of that lousy "beef bacon" served up as a substitute in stricter places.
    Regards,
    Renato

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. rock86

rock86 Active Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Toowoomba
    Or, don't be a loud mouth Westerner and then try to film immigration officials in a secure area....

Typical Guardian reporting, not telling anywhere near the whole story.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. davidj

davidj Member

May 9, 2009
    So what does this have to do with wine on the flight? Fake news?

• Like Like x 1