Annual Fee's

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottlu13

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck in reducing their annual fee or getting it waived lately on any of the Amex range of cards, in light of some of the other banks fee free for life offers going round?

Amex has been very tight recently. I cancelled one of the cards last year as they refused to waive the annual fee.

Amex has been very tight recently. I cancelled one of the cards last year as they refused to waive the annual fee.
Sorry havent tried but about to cancel on a DJ's Amex I essentially only took up for the sign on points, will advise if they offer anything!

I cancelled my Amex Velocity Platinum this week. No hint of a fee reduction or waiver. But I didn't really push hard for it.

I gave up today and swapped my Qantas Ultimate Amex card for a Discovery card. I have had the Ultimate card for 4 years and only paid the $450 fee the first year. It originally came with a free flight PER -> MEL and return plus 50000 points. The next three years I talked them into comping me. But no luck this year. I am disappointed as I really enjoyed the double points for travel and triple points for restaurants.

With so many traders wanting to surcharge an American Express card I am finding it less useful now that paying ATO and some other stuff is a waste of time. Being a member since 1979 does not really help in Australia.
It is very different in the US where virtually every restaurant and retailer takes a US Amex without surcharge.
This week it was 3% surcharge at a restaurant in Sydney or zero for MasterCard so I paid with Woolworths Everyday Rewards MasterCard and kept the 3% out of harms way.
It is time to look at the annual fees that's for sure.

about to cancel on a DJ's Amex I essentially only took up for the sign on points, will advise if they offer anything!

i cancelled mine the other day, they 'reminded' me the DJ's Store Card has no annual fee, but offered me nothing to keep the AMEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back