Annual Fee Not Waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty776

Hi All

Signed up for the Westpac Altitude with 60,000 QFF with a 3k spend. Clicked through the finder website and applied and was approved fine. Activated the card but was sent some paperwork stating the annual fee was $150 instead of the advertised reduced fee of $50. I called Westpac and asked and they said the annual fee wasn't waived. Was thinking of going into a branch and showing them the website link I used, if that doesn't work happy to cancel then and there.

Not sure what to do, probably will cancel and apply for a different one. Is there a surefire way to see if the annual fee is waived during the application process with finder?

Thanks

My go to method where there has been a breach of contract is to write a letter to the bank. But I would check to make sure there was a breach first. Sometimes you can misread the information given to you.

Set out clearly what has gone wrong (the breach of contract), include your proof and tell them what you want to have the matter fixed. Indicate that you will be contacting AFCA if you do not get what you want. State that they have 3 weeks to respond.

For me this takes the least amount of time and forces them to respond. Do not include any other contact details other than your postal address in the letter. Banks hate having to write individual letters. It wastes so much of their time.

Last edited:
Thanks Dr.. not sure what proof I could use other than the screenshot of the page I used (doesn't prove I clinked the link though)

Thanks Dr.. not sure what proof I could use other than the screenshot of the page I used (doesn't prove I clinked the link though)
Screenshot is all you need as long as you used that link.

Was it $50 for the first year, or $50 for life.
Sometimes reduced charges for the first year don't show on the paperwork.

Was it $50 for the first year, or $50 for life.
Sometimes reduced charges for the first year don't show on the paperwork.
Just $50 for the 1st year... reverts to $200 in year 2. I was going to go into a branch and try sort it out.

Similar thing happened to me before, here's how I got it back, even though I did forget to use the promo link.

Here's what you need to to.

You need to screenshot the promo, and keep the url.
Then email westpac's credit card team, stating clearly your argument, attach the evidence, and insist very hard on it.

In my case, 'this non-targeted public promo is ongoing, I saw it and decide to apply. Yet the pomo link was hidden from main site navigation. As a customer, i was mislead to apply through the non-promo normal link. This is cheating, blablabla....'

2 weeks later, i got the credit back to the card.

Just wait for the 1st statement. I think you'll find that annual fee is not charged and if you are lucky the qantas rewards fee of $50 is waived as well.
BTW: Their general public offer is also 60K QFF, No annual fee 1st year, $50 Qantas rewards fee.

Last edited:
Thanks jackofspade...... that's reassuring!! I'd just like to know for sure before i drop the minimum spend. If the public offer is good there shouldn't be a problem. Cheers

Activated the card but was sent some paperwork stating the annual fee was $150 instead of the advertised reduced fee of $50.

Just $50 for the 1st year... reverts to $200 in year 2. I was going to go into a branch and try sort it out.
Are you certain it was not an offer of the annual fee reduced by $50 when using the link, rather than the fee reduced to $50? That would result in a first year fee of $150 instead of $200 as you have been charged. Then again, what was stated in the offer and what they intended to offer may not be aligned either.

As mentioned above by jackofspade the Westpac website has the same info. Just worried by the paperwork I received which stated annual fee was $150
upload_2019-2-18_9-56-39.png

If no-one seems to be helping to move it forward, one way is to raise a formal complaint with Westpac (by phone or online) and they will assign you a Complaints Officer. Explain to the Complaints Officer and they should be able to resolve it for you very quickly.

As mentioned above by jackofspade the Westpac website has the same info. Just worried by the paperwork I received which stated annual fee was $150
View attachment 154923
Ignore what comes in the mail. It is frequently inconsistent with what has been stated on the website (St George in particular is notorious for this).

Act only if what has occurred is not consistent with what is stated on the website.

There is no need to act preemptively.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll wait and see what happens when the 1st statement comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back