Amex trims points earnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

codash1099

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
I have an Amex Rewards Advantage card (only available by invitation I think). Its advantages are that it allows you to accumulate points in their MR scheme and avoid direct sweep into QF.

I received a letter from them advising changes in points earning. From 1 July, points earned with utilities, insurance (other than Amex insurance) telecommunications and government bodies will be reduced to 0.5 points per dollar.

There are some offsets. Etihad joins as a partner and redemptions with CX, TG and MH improve to 1:1 and points can now be purchased at $25 per thousand.

I don't know whether any other Amex cards have had similar changes but they may be coming.

Has been going on for a while unfortunately - see http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ss-rewards/platinum-edge-0-5-point-37995.html.

So far the changes seem to affect Platinum Edge, Gold Credit, Gold Charge, Green Charge, and now Rewards Advantage. Someone else just posted about getting a similar letter for Qantas Ultimate too. No reports of earning-downgrade for Plat Reserve, Plat Charge or Centurion yet.

I didn't think it was affecting any of the Charge cards, only the Plat edge. Got a link for that?

Has been going on for a while unfortunately - see http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ss-rewards/platinum-edge-0-5-point-37995.html.

So far the changes seem to affect Platinum Edge, Gold Credit, Gold Charge, Green Charge, and now Rewards Advantage. Someone else just posted about getting a similar letter for Qantas Ultimate too. No reports of earning-downgrade for Plat Reserve, Plat Charge or Centurion yet.

Thanks - all of that passed me by while I was away. I guess it means less use of Amex now. I certainly avoided using them during my recent DONE4 - the 3% charge on foreign transactions made it a poor comparison with the 28 degree card. No points earned but no added cost either.

No, sorry - my memory tells me it affects charge cards below Platinum, but I could be wrong.

Ahh ok as I have the Gold Charge and Plat Reserve and I've received nothing about a points earning drop...

Ahh ok as I have the Gold Charge and Plat Reserve and I've received nothing about a points earning drop...

I'm an Ult card holder and have received no notification as yet!...maybe, I need to go and empty the PO box:shock:

There is nothing bad for Ultimate card holders as they represent some of the big users in Amex due to the points being uncapped.

Well, I hope I'm wrong about the Gold Charge for you sake then :) Definitely nothing has been mentioned about any changes for Plat Reserve.

Well, I hope I'm wrong about the Gold Charge for you sake then :) Definitely nothing has been mentioned about any changes for Plat Reserve.

It's only a spare card but i will be another black mark against AMEX though..

I got a letter last week confirming the points dropping on the Gold Charge, so sorry to be be the bearer of bad tidings. I only use my Gold Charge and Plat Edge cards for phone and Internet, so they just became a lot less useful to me.

I got a letter last week confirming the points dropping on the Gold Charge, so sorry to be be the bearer of bad tidings. I only use my Gold Charge and Plat Edge cards for phone and Internet, so they just became a lot less useful to me.

In my case, I'll probably switch Telstra and power supply back to Visa where I get longer to pay. The only advantage the Rewards advantage card now has is that I can accumulate MR points rather than direct sweep to QF, so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts.

In my case, I'll probably switch Telstra and power supply back to Visa where I get longer to pay. The only advantage the Rewards advantage card now has is that I can accumulate MR points rather than direct sweep to QF, so it's a bit of swings and roundabouts.

Ahh they have changed it now... well it's only a spare for me but if it wasn't i'd be pissed off...

The Gold Card | American Express Australia

1 point per $1 spent excluding utilities,
binsurance (except insurances offered by
American Express), telecommunications
providers and government bodies in Australia
where you will earn 0.5 points[SUP]2[/SUP]

HSBC Platinum give one point per dollar on all purchases. Thinking of dumping my Rewards Advantage AMEX as the travel insurance has been diluted as well as the points.

I didn't think it was affecting any of the Charge cards, only the Plat edge. Got a link for that?

No, sorry - my memory tells me it affects charge cards below Platinum, but I could be wrong.

It's only a spare card but i will be another black mark against AMEX though..
I have the Plat Reserve with an included 'free' Gold Charge card and received the notice by snail mail about two weeks ago.

I don't use the Gold charge card much for other than store purchases (with the extended warranty facit_. (Save the hassel of salespeople trying to 'value-add'.)

[edit]
Oh - it's already been confirmed up thread​
[/edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back