AMEX to SPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

vt

Hi all,

Given
1. AMEX to SPG until the end of this month is 1000 == 600 instead of 330.
2. AMEX Reward Maximiser will convert to $1 == 1.25 points with 100k cap instead of $1 == 1.5 points with no cap in April 2009.

I have 190k AMEX points.

Question
Should I convert the points to SPG and possibly to AA?

I have historically used points for hotels and flights. Such as 2 weeks accom in Japan courtesy Priority Club and flights courtesy QF.

If the points stay in AMEX, I'll be limited to QF/SQ/? whilst if I move the points I will be limited to AA.

Anyone else in this conundrum?

I chose to send over 300K of Amex points to AA via SPG in the last month. But of course it depends on what you wish to use the points/mile for.

1. AMEX to SPG until the end of this month is 1000 == 600 instead of 330.
2. AMEX Reward Maximiser will convert to $1 == 1.25 points with 100k cap instead of $1 == 1.5 points with no cap in April 2009.
The second point has no relevance as to wether to transfer or nor, the first point is the issue (btw, the 1000:600 is until 30th September)

Note that 190K MR points can be converted to 260,000 Hoonors points (+4000 AAdvantage points) (190K-spg->114K, 114K-aa->134K, 130K-hh->260K

Serfty

Agreed. The 2nd point has no relevance if only discussing about AMEX to SPG.

It has bearing in terms of the choice of retaining the AMEX RM rather than getting a professionally sponsored AMEX.

(190K-spg->114K, 114K-aa->134K, 130K-hh->260K

Does that last point mean 130K AA greater than 260k HH?

Transfers AA to HH are:
  • @ 1:2,
  • multiples of 5K,
  • min of 25K (for non AA status members),
  • max of 100K per transaction,
  • max of 150K year and
  • Cost USD25 per transaction.
So 130,000 + USD50 will garner 260,000 HHonors points (or 100K AA + US$25 = 200K HH).

Note that 105K AA points could be redeemed for 3 x J return trip on Qantas solely within Oz/Nz - that could be CBR-SYD-CBR or PER-AKL-PER.

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification.

I guess the question then becomes is 130k AA more valuable than 260k HH.

From my point of view possibly not. I usually only need a clean bed. I dislike hanging in a hotel when travelling. But thats just me.

140k AA would be 2 J tickets to Asia.

Sorry to hijack your thread vt....but a couple more questions on the subject if anyone knows:

* Approx how long do Amex > Starwood transfers take?
* Approx how long do Starwood > AA transfers take?

Are we talking days or weeks for either/both? I guess for now the priority is to expedite the transfer of points from Amex > Starwood prior to 30 Sep.

Also, if I have points in my AA account...are there any restrictions surrounding who can use them? As the account holder, do tickets need to be in my name....or could I book a ticket for my friend/mother etc etc?

Thanks in advance for your help.

* Approx how long do Amex > Starwood transfers take?
* Approx how long do Starwood > AA transfers take?

In my experience:
AMEX -> SPG = 2 days, 3 days max.
SPG -> AA = processed on Monday morning our time.

I have until the end of this month to take advantage of the 1->.66 rate, don't I?

I have added my SPG number to my AMEX however it has come back saying 'rejected'.

Does this mean I'll have to make a call to AMEX to rectify? Did anyone else have this same issue when adding their SPG number? I was able to add my QF number without issue.

I set mine up in March this year - it took a few days but was not rejected.

I would check your SPG details to ensure they exactly match those of the AX and try again (online). (Easier to modify SPG info than AX).

If that did not work after a week or came back rejected again, then it's time to call.

I have until the end of this month to take advantage of the 1->.66 rate, don't I?
The rate is 1000 Amex points earns 600 SPG points, so 1->.6, not .66.
I have added my SPG number to my AMEX however it has come back saying 'rejected'.

Does this mean I'll have to make a call to AMEX to rectify? Did anyone else have this same issue when adding their SPG number? I was able to add my QF number without issue.
I had the same issue first time. So I called Amex MR and asked what the problem was. The agent could not see any details of the problem and offered to add it manually for me, which she did and it came back accepted. The rejected one still shows on my list of partners.

Thanks guys. I have approx 190K Amex points to transfer over. Do you suggest sending them to Starwood in smaller batches?

Thanks guys. I have approx 190K Amex points to transfer over. Do you suggest sending them to Starwood in smaller batches?
I sent mine over in chunks that would arrive into SGP in multiples of 20,000 SPG points. Amex requires multiples of 100 points, so I sent 33.400 at a time. the transfer from SPG to AA provides 5000 points bonus for each 20,000 sent. So the most efficient way to each that bonus is to seen exact blocks of 20,000, 40,000 or 60,000 to AA at a time.

However, there was no real justification for my sending my Amex points to SPG in small chunks except that I wanted to see them go through before sending more. in the end, all was good.

I have been really interested in the concept of
AMEX->SPG->AAdvantage

Can anyone comment on the availability of ff flights on AAdvantage...
For instance a flight from SYD -> LHR business class is non existent most of the time via Quantas Frequent Flyers but what about on AAdvantage? Do they exist... are there lots available? unfortunately there is no way to check on line... so i am relying on your experiences
MANY THANKS
David

Same issue here - called them up and it was added without fuss.

Planning one more transfer just before the month runs out. :D

Cheers,
- Febs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back