AMEX - SPG Transfer option after August 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTG2016

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Gold
With the new program combine in 1st August 2018 . There will be no more SPG points or program , what will happen with Amex to Spg option . will that be replaced by Amex to Marriot with the new rates ? as far as i can see there is no option to get Marriot Points in Australia

According to marriott , all your SPG Balance will be convert to Marriott at current rate 1 : 3 . All Airlines transfer rates are the same ,

I have a balance of 100k amex points looking to transfer all to SPG . Should i transfer it all in July or should i wait for a Marriot option once SPG is gone ?

I would guess the Amex agreement would roll over to the new scheme, but until Amex announce something it's not guaranteed. You may as well transfer the points now just in case I guess?

Should i transfer it all in July or should i wait for a Marriot option once SPG is gone ?

I think the answer depends on when you intend to use your points.

I'd transfer it now. I doubt the transfer rate would improve (if they retain it at all).

And if you are looking to then transfer to miles, it's probably the last chance to get a marriott travel package for only 90k SPG.

Looking to use it end of the year but worry that SPG transfer option is no longer possible .
Then why not transfer now and use the points now. Hotel rooms can be booked many months in advance using points. I booked a room in New York for the end of this year at the end of 2017.

Right now with the 0.5 SPG points per Amex MR point and the 3 Marriott points per SPG point we are getting 1.5 Marriott point per Amex MR point.
If they introduce Marriott as a transfer partner, my best guess is the rate would be 1 to 1. I intend to transfer a decent amount before August too. There's still some unknowns with how the hotels will map across to the new categories at the moment so there is a bit of a risk there.

There's still some unknowns with how the hotels will map across to the new categories at the moment so there is a bit of a risk there.

Agree. Smart move in my view.

Right now with the 0.5 SPG points per Amex MR point and the 3 Marriott points per SPG point we are getting 1.5 Marriott point per Amex MR point.
If they introduce Marriott as a transfer partner, my best guess is the rate would be 1 to 1. I intend to transfer a decent amount before August too. There's still some unknowns with how the hotels will map across to the new categories at the moment so there is a bit of a risk there.

I mainly transfer MR points to Krisflyer ans SPG only . Will do the transfer in July next month . Just waiting to see if Amex Au announces anything

Then why not transfer now and use the points now. Hotel rooms can be booked many months in advance using points. I booked a room in New York for the end of this year at the end of 2017.

Looking at SPG to Airlines Miles or Marriot Travel Package not to spend on SPG property

Looking at SPG to Airlines Miles or Marriot Travel Package not to spend on SPG property

If you are looking at a Travel Package then definitely do it before August. Eg 90k SPG (270k Marriott) will get you 120k Alaska/AA/Avios + a 7 night cert for a Cat 1-5 Marriott. I don't think you'll get this post August given that this transfer rate is better than the current SPG to miles ratio even ignoring the certificate. I'd also book the 7 night cert before August if possible given there is speculation they might cancel existing certificates and only refund 45k Marriott points. That's not confirmed though.

Amex really needs to add Marriott as a transfer partner post the merger.

If I don't hear anything closer to the merger I will be transferring all my amex points to spg.

If you are looking at a Travel Package then definitely do it before August. Eg 90k SPG (270k Marriott) will get you 120k Alaska/AA/Avios + a 7 night cert for a Cat 1-5 Marriott. I don't think you'll get this post August given that this transfer rate is better than the current SPG to miles ratio even ignoring the certificate. I'd also book the 7 night cert before August if possible given there is speculation they might cancel existing certificates and only refund 45k Marriott points. That's not confirmed though.

120K Alaska miles is what i am after , still got another unsued 7 days cert in my account with no travel plan . Pretty bad if they refund 45K marriot point for that . other source i read saying that Marriott will still continue offer travel package but the rates will change after August .

With the new program combine in 1st August 2018 . There will be no more SPG points or program , what will happen with Amex to Spg option . will that be replaced by Amex to Marriot with the new rates ? as far as i can see there is no option to get Marriot Points in Australia

According to marriott , all your SPG Balance will be convert to Marriott at current rate 1 : 3 . All Airlines transfer rates are the same ,

I have a balance of 100k amex points looking to transfer all to SPG . Should i transfer it all in July or should i wait for a Marriot option once SPG is gone ?
I don`t think it will matter if you transfer now or later. the transfer rates will remain the same.

If amex introduce marriott, it will likely be 1 to 1. That’s my guess anyway. I don’t think they would do 1.5 marriott points. I would definitely transfer before august if you want spg points.

If amex introduce marriott, it will likely be 1 to 1. That’s my guess anyway. I don’t think they would do 1.5 marriott points. I would definitely transfer before august if you want spg points.

1:1 Rate look like a fair guest .

I don`t think it will matter if you transfer now or later. the transfer rates will remain the same.

If it is the same rate as now, I'll eat my hat (and happily with a smile!). The new AMEX cards in the US are only going to be 1:1, so I can't see AMEX in Australia getting a better deal.

Yep, most likely to be 1:1 for simplicity. Hilton is 1:1 and that is a terrible rate.

The USA always had a 1 SPG for 3 Amex points so the 1 to 1 Marriott rate was just logical for them. That was always a bit of an anomoly. Most other Amex countries were 1 SPG to 2 Amex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back