Amex Platiunum edge vs CBA Platinum ./ Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCC

Can anyone help with choosing between CBA Platinum card with CBA Rewards, or Amex Platinum Edge with MR rewards?

After a year of crediting direct to QFF via the Qantas CU Visa I'm thinking of splitting our spend again so we can accrue some points for VA, SPG etc.

I had the Amex plat charge card for a few years and gave it up at the beginning of 2013, so I know how MR and Amex issued cards work. Does CBA rewards have any advantages or disadvantages compared to MR

The CBA card is free via wealth package and the Edge is $195 p.a, but the Edge free flight pretty much cancels out the fee.

In either scenario I think I'd use the Woolies EDR Visa for situations where Amex isn't accepted.

We put about 90 - 100k per annum through the cards in total.

Last edited:
Re: Amex Platinum Edge vs CBA Platinum / Diamond

Under the Wealth package you only get a Gold card for free. The platinum and Diamond both cost a whole lot extra.

Dale.

Under the Wealth package you only get a Gold card for free. The platinum and Diamond both cost a whole lot extra.

Dale.

I think if you ask nicely you might get the Diamond included in the Wealth Package at no extra cost :).
I and I think some others on AFF have.

Use the Comm Bank Amex, plus the Woollies MasterCard as first and second choice, and am pretty happy :mrgreen:

I haven't tried asking for a couple of years so will give it a try. Otherwise thinking of downgrading.

Dale.

Thanks

I've been told that the wealth package will give me the platinum card, and I think that I could get the diamond if I asked.

I'm really interested in how the CBA rewards program compares to Amex MR. Any comments?

I don't know CBA benefits but edge can be cheaper if association linked. Migr alter the cost-benefits slightly. And yes, diamond can be had free.

Thanks

I've been told that the wealth package will give me the platinum card, and I think that I could get the diamond if I asked.

I'm really interested in how the CBA rewards program compares to Amex MR. Any comments?

GCC, I can't really comment on the CBA cards, but can say I have never accumulated points faster since I've had the Plat Edge card. If applying by referral you get 15k points instead of 10k. PM me if you'd like a referral. ;)

Just to say thanks for the info about CBA Diamond card being in the Wealth package.

I rang CBA and they said it was now indeed in the wealth package and would fix it for me and refund the last 2 years charges.

Much appreciated.

Dale.

Glad to hear you got the Diamond card. I also confirmed that this available to me, but still haven't quite decided what to do with this one.

As far as I can see, a CBA rewards Amex earns 3 ppd and then redeems to VA and SPG at 2 CBA points : 1. Not bad and no annual fee.

I can though, via one of my professional associations, get the Amex Edge for an annual fee of $149. In the first year there's a bonus of a $150 DJ's card (although no points sign up in bonus in this case) so with the free flight Amex are basically paying me to have a card. Ongoing, $238 pa gives me a platinum edge / EDR Visa combo with free flight.

I'd like to use use the CBA option as it is a return on the $375 pa I pay for the wealth package, but it just doesn't seem to really add up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back