AMEX Platinum Fine Hotels and Resorts benefits - experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastascia

Intern
Hello all,

I've received my first Platinum AMEX charge card and wanted to start a thread to list experiences on the benefits offered using the FHR program.

Has anyone used this recently and wants to report on the benefits given?

Also, if anyone has stayed at the FS or Shangri-La in Sydney recently I would love to know what you were given as I'm tossing up between these two for an upcoming stay.

With upgrades, you can contact Platinum/Centurion travel services to verify what the hotel rules are with the upgrades. This is how I normally make my FHR bookings as your account executive will then go over the individual property benefits as well and ensure that you understand all the rules about the upgrades at the property.

The one thing I found with the Shangri-La chains is that upgrades occur on a strict rule based order. I have made bookings through FHR, Visa Signature hotels and through Shangri-La golden circle (I'm a DM, which btw means jack but they sometimes have booking rates that offer upgrades at check-in) and on each occasion, the upgrade was strictly a 1 category upgrade within the same room type (i.e. non-club room to a non-club room, club room to a club room). I am sure people might have received multi level upgrades but in my personal experience, these are fairly rare. In fact, I visited Asia around a month ago and stayed at Shangri-La properties in 3 of the 4 countries I visited and that 1 category upgrade rule (I was eligible for upgrades on all of my bookings) was strictly enforced. My last stay at the SL Sydney was towards the end of last year and this was also true then.

FS, I think the upgrades occur more liberally and I've had more multi-level upgrades at FS Sydney.

However given the choice in Sydney, I personally dislike the FS as the rooms are tiny and it does not feel like a true FS hotel. The only thing that FS Sydney is better than SL Sydney is probably the location and other than that, I think the SL is superior in every way.

It really depends on the hotel. I've stayed at the sky suites in Las Vegas twice on FHR rates. Once booked a one bed suite and was upgraded to a 2 bed suite. Booked a 2 bed suite the next time and was upgraded to a 6,000 sq ft monster of a suite.

I wish I'd listened Mitwg! FS is awful! Will write full report tomorrow but I will never stay here again. Noisy, awful awful food and dated. However, the staff are delightful!

I wish I'd listened Mitwg! FS is awful! Will write full report tomorrow but I will never stay here again. Noisy, awful awful food and dated. However, the staff are delightful!

Yeah, while I am a huge fan of the FS chain, the Sydney property is really a letdown which is a shame. Thankfully, I am currently based in Sydney which means I don't have to spend too many nights at a hotel here but if I do have to, then its the Park Hyatt or the Shang.

As you said though, I find the staff and location great so I think a full renovation (I would like to see them demolish the building and remake one but this isn't going to happen) would do the trick.

I've had a few experiences, all of which have been great but some better than others...

1. Four Seasons Bangkok
Probably the best experience I've had... I booked their cheapest level room and ended up with a poolside room that opened onto the law... It was an $800+ per night room and was HUGE given I was traveling alone. Also came with a dinner credit which could only used for a set menu but I wasn't complaining!

2. Shangri La Sydney
Was a good experience... Stayed in the cheapest room and was sharing with my mother. She hadn't stayed in Sydney for years so was very excited to see we had been upgraded to an Opera house view. Pretty sure it was the same room category but just upgraded to the 'nicer view' than what I paid for. Can't remember if we had some sort of restaurant credit - we might have...

3. Shangri La Macau
I booked the cheapest room which is my habit and ended up in a water view room that was definitely big enough for one person! The bathroom was as big as the main bedroom, coffee machine, amazing hand-made chocolates refreshed each day etc. I also had a spa credit which made me very happy!

In addition to the FHR benefits I've also stayed at small luxury hotels of the world booked through Amex and their upgrades etc have also been pretty amazing.

So I stayed at the FS Sydney and it was hugely disappointing.

Check in was fine, the agent was lovely and polite. She informed me of the FHR benefits straight away and told me that I had been upgraded one category from a Deluxe City Harbour View Room to a Deluxe Full Harbour View Room. She offered me the option of paying extra for a further upgrade ($180 - I cannot remember the room category) and also mentioned the Royal Suite was available. Seeing as I was staying by myself until the morning, I think that would have been over the top. I should have asked how much it was though :)

I got into my room and the smell of wet carpet/chemical cleaners was so overpowering my eyes watered. The room smelt so badly I went down to reception and asked to be moved. My new room wasn't much better so I figured it was probably like it in all of the rooms. After going out for a while, I came back and decided to order room service utilising the $100 F&B voucher provided as part of the FHR benefits. I ordered roast baby chicken with a side of steamed rice. It was bought up to my room quickly and was nicely presented but unfortunately that is were the positives ended. The chicken was burnt and inedible and the side salad swimming in grease. By this time I was pretty tired so I just ate the rice and left it at that. If I was paying for it I would have complained seeing it cost $50. The most expensive chicken and rice I have ever eaten!

Onto the room itself. It was TINY, most likely the smallest room I have ever stayed in. For one person overnight it was adequate but I would not have wanted to stay any longer. The most annoying and disappointing part of the room was the bed. It was like something out of your grandma's house 50 years ago - it was so saggy and squeaky that it had a large dip in it and anytime I moved, all the springs squeaked and rattled. Seriously not five star and definitely not wedding night friendly!

The next morning after a sleepless night on the old creaker, I tried calling the reception desk at 0515 to ask them to bring up my car as I was going to the airport to collect from partner from an international flight. I tried three times but it either rang out or had an engaged signal. Not impressed. I quickly showered and made my way down to reception and handed my parking ticket for them to bring the car up. By this time it was 0545 and there was only one other guest in the lobby. The attendant went away to get the car and then returned and asked me which car was mine? Are you serious! By this stage I was getting pretty cranky and it took them nearly half an hour to get my car up. I asked the reception person to see a manager and he was incredibly rude and brushed me aside. Finally at 0610 my car arrived. By that stage I was running late and was seriously unimpressed.

I returned to the hotel with my partner and the hotel redeemed itself slightly with an excellent buffet breakfast in the main restaurant. There was a great range of options and lovely service. We checked out at 2pm and I spoke to the manager on duty about the car fiasco. She said that her staff had told her that they had lots of people in the lobby at the time and this was the reason for the extended delay. I informed her that this was nonsense as I was one of only two guest in the lobby the whole time I was waiting. She was gracious enough to remove the parking charge.

Overall, a seriously disappointing stay. The FHR benefits eased the disappointed somewhat though but I won't return.

FHR benefits given:

- one category room upgrade
- $100 F&B voucher
- complementary continental breakfast (we used $7 pp on our F&B voucher to upgrade to the buffet breakfast)
- late check out of 4pm

Stayed at Palazzo Versace in March for the long weekend and probably the least pleasant stay compared to other FHR stays I've done so far in 2013. It's not awful by any means but without all the Versace amenities this property isn't too different from a well-run 4-star hotel in Asia. Two possible reasons I can think of:

1. They were understaffed (we can feel it, but surely a bit of planning would mitigate this?)
2. The other FHR stays I had was too good?

Also, the property has somewhat become a tourist attraction in the area during the day although popular with the locals in the evening. And don't take it personally every time you see the rather stern notes that the item you're looking/holding is chargeable if it goes missing. Some guests are just keen to take home a bit of Versace with them :)
Not trying to discourage you from going, just thought this information can help avoid disappointment.

tip: use their indoor pool (advance notice recommended) unless you don't mind having people watching, and taking pictures of you sunbathing.

Last edited:
I think overall in my experience Hotels in Asia are far superior in terms of servce to Aust, but interesting to note, thanks.

Ok so we stayed at PV on the GC 5-6 of July for Mrs R 40th birthday celebration, under the Amex FHR program, also booked a room for freinds for the 6th under the same deal Amex FHR.

On checking in ( earlyat 12 midday) we were told we got an upgade to a larger deluxe suite on the 4th floor, rather than the smaller superior suite, but the suite was not in the best locality with a vew of the main entrance and near seaworld drive which was rather noisy. So we asked if we could be moved and if possible pay extra for a lagoon view suite, they did say they were busy but would see what could be done to move us. As were getting ready for dinner about 7pm we were asked if we wanted a lagoon view suite on floor 3 complimets of the GM, and because we had some other guests staying and having my wife's dinner at the Vie resturant on the Sat night. I thought this was a nice gesture as we had alomst given up on being moved. We had dinner at the Vanitas resturant and they moved all our gear and turned down the bed for us when we came back about 10pm. It was a very nice large well appointed suite with a good view of the lagoon pool and out to the broadwater. We also got comp bottled water each day and full breakfast in the FHR rate.

We also had a sparkling high tea for two included and late check out of 4pm guaranteed.

All in all it was a very nice stay, the service was of a high standard and the meals at both Vanitas and Vie were very good. Just to suammarise the FHR benefits at PV GC.

1. Comp valet parking ($30 per day)
2. Early check in from noon
3. Late check out 4pm
4. Sparkling high tea for two ($55 per person)
5. Full breakfast ($46 per person daily)
6. Upgrade on arrival to the next class of room

Overall I felt this was good value for money for a very special occasion, the rate was $549 per night for the suite, which I think was the superior suite, including the FHR benefits.

Once I get the photos sorted I will add some of the room etc.

Glad things worked out well for you. Definitely better than my experience. I paid $600 per night and the check in staff didn't mention any upgrade benefit until I asked. At first he said that room upgrade is not part of Amex FHR deal. I pointed out that I've stayed in three other FHR properties earlier in the year and received upgrade on all three. He said that he'll check and asked us to proceed to our room. Sure enough once we're in our room they use the "subject to availability" clause. I understand that I can't expect to be upgraded every time especially during a long weekend but failure to mention led me to think that they truly only realised about it after I pointed it out and by then it's too late.

Glad things worked out well for you. Definitely better than my experience. I paid $600 per night and the check in staff didn't mention any upgrade benefit until I asked. At first he said that room upgrade is not part of Amex FHR deal. I pointed out that I've stayed in three other FHR properties earlier in the year and received upgrade on all three. He said that he'll check and asked us to proceed to our room. Sure enough once we're in our room they use the "subject to availability" clause. I understand that I can't expect to be upgraded every time especially during a long weekend but failure to mention led me to think that they truly only realised about it after I pointed it out and by then it's too late.

Did you book through the Amex Plat travel service ?

We received a special letter with the Amex FHR benefits outlined so that staff (and us) at the hotel were aware not to charge for the breakfast and high tea etc.

Yep, booked through Amex Plat. Also received the welcome card upon check-in outlining the FHR benefit eg. breakfast, sparkling high tea and valet parking but no mention of upgrade.

Yep, booked through Amex Plat. Also received the welcome card upon check-in outlining the FHR benefit eg. breakfast, sparkling high tea and valet parking but no mention of upgrade.

Bugger, that don't sound right....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back