Amex Platinum Edge significantly diminished points earning potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb13

Qantas
Gold
Is anyone else feeling like the platinum edge card is becoming less valuable and almost not worth having at an annual fee of $195 per year?

2 years ago as an example you had a membership rewards bonus section with some great offers such as buying at Bose was an extra 5 points per dollar, bonuses for travel booked through Amex, renting movies online, hotelclub offer of 10 extra bonus points per $ spent, etc.....

Now there seems to be absolutely nothing. There was a great deal with Kaligo (instead of hotelclub till recently - but that has ended and was never advertised). Am I missing something or are customers with this card now getting fed up?

The annual fee is easily justified by the free return Virgin flight. What other card pays so well on supermarket and petrol spend?

Agree with Isochronous. This card is almost the first card anyone should have in their wallet. After all, nearly everyone buys significant amounts of groceries and petrol. The free flight I have redeemed for $500 round trip flights each of the last 2 years.

Free return flight Perth to Melbourne for the footy once a year - saving $600 for the annual fee of $195. You are laughing!

Plus the 3:1 points - no where else gets that. And AMEX insurance is still pretty good.

Is anyone else feeling like the platinum edge card is becoming less valuable and almost not worth having at an annual fee of $195 per year?
It would appear the general view on this is no.

I'm probably biased by the large number of refer a friend points that came my way last year but I' still keeping the card

Pro's
3:1 and 4:1 if you do it right (local champion) for supermarket spend
Harris farm now accept and are regarded as a supermarket
Leveraging the 3:1 and 5% off by buying Wish cards via Entertainment book and then buying other giftcards to make this spend much more than just supermarkets (e.g. Dan Murphys)
Fee increase to $195 probably only cover the increased flight costs (which have gone up a bit in last two years)
Cashback offers add up

Cons:
Well yes, the lack of superbonus offers does bother a little but not so much I'd give the card up.

Fantastic card. 3 points per dollar at supermarkets. MR points too which I value more than qf or va.
free flight pays for the annual fee. No brainer to keep IMO

No bonus points offers but plenty of cash backs. Shop small alone can get you your annual fee back. And then the airfares. And the points with wish cards.

If there is one card that anyone should get, it's this card. And mine is free with my plat charge!!

Agree with the consensus above. But also to note that they seem to have replaced the bonus point offers with many more cashback offers.

This year alone I have pulled in >$700 of cashback offers (inc shop small) plus used the Virgin flight (valued at ~$400).

Then just the standard bonus spend at supermarkets (which I leverage fairly effectively) and petrol stations (which I rarely use) and it becomes easily one of the most compelling cards on the market.

Agreed with the above.

Unlike US CCs, we dont have as many options in terms of CC that provides a consistent (and fixed) bonus point earnings in terms of grocery and petrol purchases (would love to be proven wrong there). That + the free domestic flight = value to the CC.

However, I do understand your cashback offers point - Amex offers of late havent been as great as the ones a couple of years ago!

I cannot believe no one here mentioned using this card at Woolworths to pay for public transport e.g. Opal!

I must look harder into using woolworths for more things. - we don't have opal in WA, so not sure how I could leverage woolworths for my bus ride?

I must look harder into using woolworths for more things. - we don't have opal in WA, so not sure how I could leverage woolworths for my bus ride?

Not in Perth. Perth offers 25% off for auto direct debit, so not worth it. People in Sydney can use Edge card at Woolworths via NRMA in order to get 3 points and 5% off, while people in Brisbane + Sydney + Melbourne can top up at 7 Eleven and get 3 points.

Is anyone else feeling like the platinum edge card is becoming less valuable

Unlike the other replies in this thread, for me it is a clear black and white YES that the card is now less valuable than it was.

I would broaden that to state that ALL direct earm Amexes are less valuable in terms of how I was using them and can still use them.

My Amex MR Points stash is steadily declining, and has dropped to under a million for the first time since 2006 and that is despite these days only mainly redeeming for 2 rather than 5 (my daughters are older now and travel less).

For many, many years Amex MR was my main source of points , though yes I have always since becoming a dedicated points runner have hunted far and wide to gain points at say BMI etc.

In terms of direct Amex issued cards this last 12months would easily have been my worst in a long, long, time. And that is including counting 100&110K Amex Velocity joining bonuses (which admitedelly went to Velocity and not Amex MR) and some referrals.

WHY?

1/ In recent years Amex has moved from its regular point running promos (of various types) to in the main just cash-back promos, but also thinks like referral boni (these have actually been used often over the years and I have often benefited). While cash-back can be nice, it is often from businesses that I don't want to use and any gain is far, far, far less than what I used to be able to gain from point-running on the point promos.

Ignoring the 2.9 million points I one earnt, I also have picked up 0.5 million, 0.25 million, several 0.1 millions promos and many of 50K or so. There were scores of opportunities for 5K, 10K here or 20K there.

These have basically all dried up, though there are some promos related to new cards.

I think the last may have been 10 point per $ at Hotel Club last year (very good for some hotels/destinations. Not so good at others).
This is the biggest reason.

2/ With the lack of point promos it does mean that for some spend I am better of with bank issued Amex's (such as 1.5 points per $ to my preferred FF Program of Krisflyer ). So yes I am gaining more points these days at altitude Rewards and various other programs. But the net effect is that I am earning far less points in total. It would be grimmer stiil but sign on bonii have been extra lucrative this last year or so.

and almost not worth having at an annual fee of $195 per year?

No as others have pointed out it is still very much worth having. Indeed of the direct issued Amex it is possibly the best as the flight plus cash backs actually means that you should receive more than $195 value even if you do not spend much on the card.

Love the card. Currently have two primary and a supp in our house.

Will probably ditch the second primary once Mrs andye has used up her Local Champion allocation but can't imagine not having one in my wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back