Status
Not open for further replies.

kamchatsky

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Silver
I got the letter today from Amex, stating that from 30 March 2017, instead of getting the free Virgin return flight, I will get $200 Amex travel credit instead.

The last day to redeem for free Virgin ticket is 29 March 2017.

What a shame, I get a lot of value out of the annual free flight from Virgin Australia.

Sad, looks like I won't be signing up for an Amex edge in 2017...

I would prefer it this way, I don't chase any real status with hotels, so rather pay cash for flights and earn status credits and use the $200 for hotels.

I would prefer it this way, I don't chase any real status with hotels, so rather pay cash for flights and earn status credits and use the $200 for hotels.

Only issue with this is that hotel rates for Amex Travel is not as good as the general hotel websites (e.g. hotels.com etc).

That's very annoying! With current Virgin prices, it wasn't hard to get very good value from the flight.

Does anyone know if Amex charges a service fee to book flights using a travel credit? I would hope not, but I assume they charge $27,.50 which makes the actual credit $172.50, which is ok but not great.

Does anyone know if Amex charges a service fee to book flights using a travel credit? I would hope not, but I assume they charge $27,.50 which makes the actual credit $172.50, which is ok but not great.

No service fee, and also no credit card fee, so it ends up being cheaper than booking directly through QF (in my case) anyway.

Will be interesting to see if there's going to be a bulk exodus from those who usually flog their tickets off on OzBargain.

No service fee, and also no credit card fee, so it ends up being cheaper than booking directly through QF (in my case) anyway.

That is good news - for my circumstances at least. Can understand though it's a downgrade for PER cardholders though

It's also a downgrade for DRW cardholders. Now I'm seriously considering cutting this card. They should have give us the option to stay with free flights or change to travel credit

I get a lot of value from my reduced-fee Professionals Edge regardless of the flight benefit though this makes it more likely Mrs andye will cancel hers (though may wait until she has earned a few more Local Champ points)

Got the confirmation letter today. At this stage I see it as an improvement-living in a regional area meant the reward flights were not available from our "home" airport

A friend just got off the phone from Amex. She requested to be moved across in order to obtain the $200 travel credit. She was told that the offer was for new applications only. Subsequently she advised that she wanted to cancel the card. They offered her 15K points if she held on to the card for another 12 months. Hopefully she'll get a letter like others have above.

Just received the letter today as well. I personally don't mind the travel credit but there's just something about the way these complimentary flight tickets are issued. Just completed MEL-ADL over the weekend and was awarded 40 SC, so that's easily a $599 freedom return ticket. Didn't always work as this was the first I got credited using the complimentary flight benefit.

Definitely gonna miss it still.

Haven't received my letter yet, but completed MEL-BNE return a couple of weekends ago and also received points and SC (15 each way). Also the first time I've received points and SC's. Much prefer a flight than $200, but I can see why Amex have changed, given how much the cost of the flights must've increased.

My card coming up for renewal and considering options here. Has anyone got good value out of the $200? A bit worrying if Amex Travel is more expensive than the discount hotel sites.

Just got the free flight booking number (1800 059 388), I don't think the online chat agent called Megan was in Aus: ;)

Sure , let me quickly share direct number to book flight

Megan
at 15:26, Mar 20:

Hope you are doing excellent.

Haven't received my letter yet, but completed MEL-BNE return a couple of weekends ago and also received points and SC (15 each way). Also the first time I've received points and SC's. Much prefer a flight than $200, but I can see why Amex have changed, given how much the cost of the flights must've increased.

I have an old boss that works at Amex and said they were still dealing with a lot of complaints from when Amex changed to VA from QF as a redeeming partner. This was another factor in their decision.

It looks like the Amex call centre is a bit overloaded dealing with the rush before the big Edge devaluation next week. I tried booking my free VA flight today and ran into a 'very long wait anticipated' message when I tried on a couple of occasions. It is difficult to sit on the phone for an extended period of time during business hours so may have to camp out on the weekend to get it booked.

Those wanting to book better not leave it up until the last day next week as you could be disappointed.

Edit: I was able to get through this morning in 10 minutes by calling just before opening. Just over $600 in value this week, only $200 next week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back