AMEX Platinum Charge - Pro rata refund of annual fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adelee

Hi

I will be considering cancelling my Platinum charge in the future. I signed up in April and apart from using the $300 travel credit and using Accor Plus Platinum a bit, haven't really accessed much in the way of benefits.

Before I call up, I wanted to check if anyone here has had success clawing back a pro rata proportion of the ($1200) annual fee? if so, I'll probably go ahead and cancel in the next few months. If not, will hang on to the card until just before annual anniversary comes up.

Hi Adelee, when cancelling credit cards, I usually call to cancel as soon as the the annual fee appears on my account. I usually clear the balance, leaving just the annual fee charge and it gets cancelled and the annual fee is removed. This only works if you cancel within the same bill cycle as the annual fee being charged.

However, when cancelling, they usually offer you points to keep your account open. I was offered 44,000 points. When factoring in the free flight/1 night hotel room, $300 travel credit, and a few FHR bookings, I easily find value in the annual fee, but YMMV.

usually they would pro rata but not sure what will happen given you've spent the travel credit...

I cancelled another AMEX product within 4 months of receiving it (just wanted the bonus points) and they agreed to pro rata the Annual fee and refund the balance.

Good luck with requesting this, their call centre staff have been helpful the few times I have had to deal with them.

Thanks all. Sounds like I am best to call and see what they say. Another question - I've noticed in the T & Cs that they state that they reserve the right to revoke elite hotel status when the card is cancelled. Anyone have any experience of this? My Accor Plus Platinum isn't due to expire until next July, so would be nice to hang on to this if I can.

I would be interested to know if you signed up as a new customer, cashed in all the benefits in the first month and tried to get pro-rata refund if they'd do it...

And what the threshold for no refund would be

I'd be interested to see if the referral points earned have any influence over the pro-rata refund. IIRC (can't remember if I've read it here or elsewhere) AE was going to phase out pro-rata refund on annual fee.

That's the thread I was thinking of.

Thanks all. Sounds like I am best to call and see what they say. Another question - I've noticed in the T & Cs that they state that they reserve the right to revoke elite hotel status when the card is cancelled. Anyone have any experience of this? My Accor Plus Platinum isn't due to expire until next July, so would be nice to hang on to this if I can.

I doubt if they'll revoke status etc. rather just let it run out/expire.
I haven't read any reports of this happening to other AFF'ers.
Similarly for the PriorityPass membership, I think AMEX's role is purely a funder/cost centre for the membership [and any subsequent renewals].
I really don't think AMEX would have any rights to manage/degrade your status on a third-party service/account.

Best thing to do also Adelee is extract at least 2 if possible 3 priority pass out of the card if you can because from what I'm told is that you can continue to use it even after the card has been cancelled. These card alone are worth $399 each.

Best thing to do also Adelee is extract at least 2 if possible 3 priority pass out of the card if you can because from what I'm told is that you can continue to use it even after the card has been cancelled. These card alone are worth $399 each.

How do you get the $399 value for a priority pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back