AMEX Platinum Charge Card travel insurance "top up" - any experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@rcoPolo

I'm planning a trip to Singapore / India / Nepal that will include a trek to Everest base camp. I was planning to rely on AMEX Platinum Charge travel insurance cover (and yes, I'm aware of the restrictions / requirements) however the insurance cover definitions under "Special Sports" calls out "trekking requiring climbing equipment and/or ascending above 4,000 metres" meaning the AMEX insurance would not cover approx. 6 days when the trekking itinerary will take us above 4k metres (height is the only issue, no climbing equipment is required for the trek).

I'm planning to shop around for additional insurance specifically covering the trekking but I was wondering if anyone out there had any first-hand experience "topping-up" the insurance with ACE (the underwriters for AMEX Platinum Charge insurance) to cover anything outside the scope of the "basic" travel insurance.

Planning to call them next week to discuss but I'd love to hear from anyone at AFF that may have done this in the past...

I have no experience with this exactly, however what essentially happens is Amex pays a fee per cardholder to ACE.

The difference between the level you're covered at under Amex and a paid policy with the same inclusions from ACE would likely be substantial and how they would want to calculate the amount payable. Then again I might be wrong! Please do report back when you decide what to do...

I have just spoken to Amex, good luck trying to get a straight answer from them, they just read the policy document to you and tell you that they can not answer any hypotheticals.

I have just spoken to Amex, good luck trying to get a straight answer from them, they just read the policy document to you and tell you that they can not answer any hypotheticals.

Spoke to ACE yesterday, they just read the policy document and send me the document/forms and will not say yay or nay on anything other than submit it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back