AMEX Platinum Charge Benefits - Q&A

netaddict

Noticed that AMEX Platinum has added Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership benefit. Quick phone call to travel and it was added in the last week.

Can register via the AMEX website once logged in. Available to Primary & Supplementary Platinum Card Members.

Jade Membership benefits include:
• 11am early check-in / 4pm late check-out (subject to availability)
• Priority upgrade to the next available best room category
• Complimentary breakfast for two
• VIP welcome amenities (choice of 3 - see next slide)
• 25% bonus on Golden Circle points
• 72 hour room availability guarantee (restrictions apply)

On a side note, looks like the IHG gold benefit has been removed - not that this is a great loss.

Few other hotel programs for time being...Accor, Carlson. Also car rental programs. Most require enrolment as for Golden Circle.

Hilton goes with Citi's program.

This is a bit misleading from AMEX. From the Golden Circle website:

• Priority upgrade to the next available best room category, if the reserved room type is not available at check-in
This means two completely different things and de-values the benefit considerably, IMO.

• Priority upgrade to the next available best room category, if the reserved room type is not available at check-in
This means two completely different things and de-values the benefit considerably, IMO.

Most definitely, considering that would be expected if your room type wasn't available...

thats a bit odd! but the breaky isn't a bad benefit.
better than nothing.

Noticed that AMEX Platinum has added Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade Membership benefit. Quick phone call to travel and it was added in the last week.

Can register via the AMEX website once logged in. Available to Primary & Supplementary Platinum Card Members.

Jade Membership benefits include:
• 11am early check-in / 4pm late check-out (subject to availability)
• Complimentary breakfast for two
• VIP welcome amenities (choice of 3 - see next slide)
• 25% bonus on Golden Circle points
• 72 hour room availability guarantee (restrictions apply)

On a side note, looks like the IHG gold benefit has been removed - not that this is a great loss.

Where on the AMex website can I sign up for SHangri-la status once logged in?

The wording on Shangri-La's website is correct mostly. I've been floating between Diamond and Jade tiers over the past few years and I can't say I've received too many upgrades, although I've also had some spectacular upgrades before as well (e.g. $1000 a night room to a $5000 a night suite @ London).

In saying the above however, they do treat their elites pretty well. The welcome amenities are always promptly delivered and even the hotel staff tend to make exceptions. I've had a housekeeping request denied on the phone, only to be called back after around 30 seconds to confirm that they can do it because they realised I was a GC member.

I don't view Shangri-La to be in the same league as MO or FS across the entire chain but there are several standout properties which are essentially best in the city, easily on par with any MO/Peninsula/FS and out of these four chains, only the Shangri-La has a loyalty program that is accessible (i.e. excluding the FS cards etc.).

I feel the loyalty program seems to cater for a different type of crowd, when I compare it to the HHonors or SPGs or IHGs for example.

Just got an e-mail, another $50 credit for $240 spend at Langton's. I wonder what's the voucher code for Cent :cool:

EDIT: open up the Platinum link, change platinum to centurion and it's a pair of Riedel glass worth $100 a pair...I think the plat offer might be better then.

Last edited:
I reckon the best benefit is the 'no limit' on the platinum card.

Not quite "no limit"...

No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit records, and financial resources known to us.

Not quite "no limit"...

No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit records, and financial resources known to us.

Thanks...that's the reason i had 'no limit' in quotation marks. Not to be taken literally.

The best benefit Amex used to have was.the Marco polo gold status,mine expired end of July..it's unfortunate Amex had to enhance this benefit for us. Still not happy about this one.

The best benefit Amex used to have was.the Marco polo gold status,mine expired end of July..it's unfortunate Amex had to enhance this benefit for us. Still not happy about this one.

+1 and also Accord Advantage Plus being 'enhanced' comes October :(

just got off the phone with Amex. she's confirmed the Accor benefit will lapse at the end of September and not be renewed
in it's place will be a promotion from Shangri-La. I asked if she's just referring to the Jade membership upgrade already available but she wasn't able to tell me. also told she's not allowed to tell me details of this new promotion.
if you've taken the accor one you also cannot take the shangri la one until the new membership year.

From AMEX Platinum Charge T&Cs: Enjoy complimentary membership in the Accor Plus program until 30 September 2015

Already got the Shangri-la card and my Accor isn't due to expire till November. Hopefully it's something new.

My Accor advantage is due for renewal in October. Have signed up with Shang ri la also and just days ago received the welcome email. Very disappointed to hear its going. It is definitely one component that convinces me the $1200 is worthwhile. Will be interested to see what they replace it with.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back