Amex Platinum card insurance and The Rolling Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaredeycat

The tragic suicide of Mick Jagger's partner has thrown their tour of Australia into disarray. I totally support his decision to return to New York, obviously that's what anyone in that situation would do.
Unfortunately many of their fans have had their travel plans disrupted too, including the Cat family, who were booked to see the Adelaide concert this weekend. So I rang Amex to ask if the Platinum card would cover the non-refundable, pre-paid accommodation :
"The policy is only triggered if you have paid all your fares to and from your destination with the card" - yes they were.
Mumble, mumble, recitation of inclusions and exclusions...
"So does the policy cover this particular circumstance?"
"You'll need to submit a claim and then our claims department will make a determination (in 5 to 10 working days)."
"So you can't actually tell me over the phone if I would be covered or not - would someone else be able to advise me?"
"No sir, no one is allowed to give that advice - you'll have to make a claim."

This is ridiculous. If the concert isn't on we have no real reason to go.
What would others do in the same circumstance?

Well, if you feel it should be covered under the pds, lodge a claim. Companies can't guarantee this stuff over the phone, they just don't want to commit.

It won't cost you anything to lodge (except for some time) so it's your best option.
Good luck!

The point of my question is that if insurance didn't cover the cost of accommodation, we would still go to Adelaide. If on the other hand it did, we would cancel the trip.
I'm just annoyed that Amex's insurers couldn't give me a straight answer. If they don't know how to interpret their own PDS, how am I supposed to know? Does make it of dubious value...

"The policy is only triggered if you have paid all your fares to and from your destination with the card" - yes they were.
Mumble, mumble, recitation of inclusions and exclusions...
"So does the policy cover this particular circumstance?"
"You'll need to submit a claim and then our claims department will make a determination (in 5 to 10 working days)."
"So you can't actually tell me over the phone if I would be covered or not - would someone else be able to advise me?"
"No sir, no one is allowed to give that advice - you'll have to make a claim."

This is ridiculous. If the concert isn't on we have no real reason to go.
What would others do in the same circumstance?

Maybe I am just cynical but they will make their determination in 5-10 working days after they see how many people claim and what it will cost the insurer, and then they will interpret the PDS in the way that suits their argument. The actual insurer is ACE Travel Insurances.

For what its worth I had a look at the PDS

https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet/IntlPremiumSites/Platinum/au/en/Insurance/Insurance%20Benefits/AMXCOP0293_Platinum_WP_TCs_Ins.pdf

And cannot see anything that describes your situation where a concert is cancelled (your main reason for going), if you read the PDS (and I wont claim to have read it all) carefully - for instance, if you had been visiting a relative under the age of 80 and he/she had died then the complimentary insurance would have covered that event, have a close look at Page 3 Section G 'Travel Cancellation Cover' and see what you think.

The key phrase may me 'Forfeited non-refundable' events. I assume the actual concert tickets are refundable (or may rescheduled later in the year), flights and hotels may be refundable or non-refundable. If you are succesful (and thats a big if!) you may find that the complimentary insurance may cover the non-refunable portions of that trip.

Not relevant to the Rolling Stones situation but have a look at Page 10 Section 6 'General Exclusions' - its a list of exclusions that is so broad that it makes a fun game to think of your last holiday and work out how many times you fell into one of these exclusions. I imagine these are fairly typical exclusions of most complimentary credit card insurance policies.

Also pretty nasty timing, in that the concert is cancelled,.but all the other stuff like flights and hotels will have to be cancelled before the insurer makes their decision about your claim. :rolleyes:

Whom knows - if its possible to make a claim let us know if you have success or not. Success or failure may be controlled by exactly how you couch the claim, without lying of course, try to make your claim align as closely as possible to the events that are covered in the PDS and avoid any words that are in the list of exclusions! Like scuba diving in war zone under direction of the military while under the influence of alcohol for instance.....

Last edited:
This again highlights the "uncertainty" that exists with regard to travel related coverage "triggered" by credit card purchases. There is never any actual acknowledgement that insurance cover is "triggered" for a specific travel event. I believe that in all cases where the policy requirements are fulfilled by travel charges to the card(especially with overseas travel) some sort of coverage statement should be available, just as you get when you specifically purchase travel insurance. There is always (for me anyway) a niggling concern am I really fully covered.
Hope it works out for the OP.

If it were me, I would still go to Adelaide. Head to the Barossa Valley and have a platter and wine tasting at Two Hands in Marananga. Expectations from Travel Insurance can be very disappointing and you won't know if the claim will be paid or not until it is too late.

You realise that there is a $250 excess on the non-refundable parts?

That said, whilst I think you can make a good case to be covered under point (b) of Section G on page 13 vis - The person you were going to visit (Mick Jagger) had a "Close Relative" (see definition on Page 7 - in this case spouse - not further defined, but should include defacto) die, your claim will most likely fail due to the General Exclusion 3 under Section 6 on Page 19 - no coverage for any losses arising from suicide (if that is what is eventually ruled).

I would be taking the winery option.

(Not that it will be any comfort, but I also checked the PDS of the TID annual multi-trip I took out because of some of the exclusions in the Amex Plat Charge coverage, and it does not appear to have exclusions which would catch this - so would provide cover)

Last edited:
I'd just be thankful for having dodged two hours of tedium. I wouldn't cross the road to see them these days.

As it happens we do have the annual multi trip cover with TID, and the guy I spoke to felt confident that a claim would succeed.
Just as well - this episode confirms my belief that Amex's insurance is worthless. I contacted them first because everything we paid for was on the card.

Glad to hear you had the TID.

Horses for courses with both these covers. I took out the TID because if some of the exclusions in the Amex relating to not so special sports.

However, the Travel Inconvenience cover for delays is far better on Amex than TID for short delays - after a four hour delay, $700 per person (max $1400 under policy) for accommodation, meals etc, versus TID which is up to $4000 on family, but only $200 after six hours, then another $200 for each 12 hours after that. TID may be better for long delays, but Amex far better for a short (single day) delay.

So without hijacking this post..... How many people's use the Amex Platinum Card included insurance policy ( I'm aware of their requirements) when they purchase flights, accommodations etc?
Avid

I don't. Used to before the changes, and now I'm scared to go back, even though they have improved it slightly and made it a bit less ambiguous. I would trust it for medical only, and will use it for small delays, but I have an annual TID that has held me in good stead and on which I have claimed (lost iPad) with no hassles.

Saw the video on the news of their aircraft, think it was a 767 and the report said it was going to AUH. Does a 767 have the range to fly to AUH non-stop from PER?

Saw the video on the news of their aircraft, think it was a 767 and the report said it was going to AUH. Does a 767 have the range to fly to AUH non-stop from PER?

I'd say a standard airliner config of the 767 would be stretching to make that but if its not fully loaded, its a different story.

Its like how Boeing flew the 77L eastwards from HKG to LHR on a demonstration flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back