AMEX Plat Charge companion card

Status
Not open for further replies.

deuteros

Intern
Hoping someone here might be able to provide some insights.

I obtained my AMEX Plat Charge a number of years ago, and negotiated a Plat Edge credit card as my companion card. The Plat Edge is still of value, due to the higher earn rate for groceries than the Plat Reserve.

If I ring up AMEX to request a Plat Reserve as a companion card to get the better travel credit (to offset the increase in Plat Charge annual fee), does anyone know if the system is smart enough to drop my Plat Edge as companion card or will I be able to continue to retain the Plat Edge fee free?

Wow you have an Edge as your companion card - I tried to get that for years, but never succeeded. They always said it had to be the Reserve.

I have no useful data point to add (and neither will most), but I would suggest you will very likely have to start paying the Edge annual fee. Still very worth it for that card though!

Bump.

Anyone able to assist?

TL;DR

Can I somehow get a Reserve as a companion card whilst still keeping my Edge card fee free?

Try it, you got them to give you the Edge in the first place so maybe they find your voice irresistible :)

Bump.

Anyone able to assist?

TL;DR

Can I somehow get a Reserve as a companion card whilst still keeping my Edge card fee free?

Lets see, you want something for nothing? Don't like your chances. Unless you can convince the operator you're a valuable customer, they won't be giving you a waiver on the annual fee.

Anyone know how long does it get approved for the Reserve?

There is an online application form to apply it. Dose it still do the instant online approval or need to wait for back office processing?

Anyone know how long does it get approved for the Reserve?

There is an online application form to apply it. Dose it still do the instant online approval or need to wait for back office processing?

Is there an online application? I called AmEx last week and they said they would have to post the application to me to fill out and return.

This is the link in the printed materials from the Charge American Express DECA - Login
Should be able to just login and apply online.

I already have the Plat card. I am under the impression that one could apply for Reserve card online (when it was being offered), but Reserve is not offered as a stand-alone product any longer and is now only being offered as a companion to Plat. As such, I was told last week, they had to post me an application form (for Reserve) as it was not available online. I could be wrong though...

Edit: When I go to the link posted above, I get "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card". I most certainly do NOT have a Reserve card.

Last edited:
Even if something like this worked, you're better off not posting a topic about it here. It would be very easy for someone from Amex to notice it and fix it.

I already have the Plat card. I am under the impression that one could apply for Reserve card online (when it was being offered), but Reserve is not offered as a stand-alone product any longer and is now only being offered as a companion to Plat. As such, I was told last week, they had to post me an application form (for Reserve) as it was not available online. I could be wrong though...

Edit: When I go to the link posted above, I get "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card". I most certainly do NOT have a Reserve card.

When I applied for the Reserve few years ago, it was the process where they sent me an application form and wasn't available online.

Now, with the included link, you should be able go to the Reserve card application. My friend did it just yesterday and I tried clicking on the link just now. Are you already logged in to Amex when you click on the link?
I clicked on the link, logged in using Plat account then it gives me the option to use my existing card details where I have to verify card number etc or skip all that and begin a blank application. I click on blank application and I can apply for the card just like any other online application.

When I applied for the Reserve few years ago, it was the process where they sent me an application form and wasn't available online.

Now, with the included link, you should be able go to the Reserve card application. My friend did it just yesterday and I tried clicking on the link just now. Are you already logged in to Amex when you click on the link?
I clicked on the link, logged in using Plat account then it gives me the option to use my existing card details where I have to verify card number etc or skip all that and begin a blank application. I click on blank application and I can apply for the card just like any other online application.

Loggin in, I get "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card". I do not have the Reserve card, but a paper application should be in its way (to me). I presume my profile was already updated as part of the preparation for sending me the paper form.

Link is working.

After logged in to your online account, the link should bring up a short form to complete.

Link is working.

After logged in to your online account, the link should bring up a short form to complete.

Nope; not in my case. It throws "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card", which I assure you is not the case.

Nope; not in my case. It throws "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card", which I assure you is not the case.

Yep, as you mentioned earlier, maybe your account is being prepared for the Reserve card application. So the link is not available to you for now.
Guess it should work for most majority members here.

for the $400 travel credit that comes with the Reserve card, will it be available straight away for use after card activation? or need to call in to ask AMEX to add it manually?

for the $400 travel credit that comes with the Reserve card, will it be available straight away for use after card activation? or need to call in to ask AMEX to add it manually?

Should be there automatically. However, if its not just call to get it sorted out. I had an issue IIRC.

I also just received the platinum charge, and tried to sign up for the reserve. I am running into the same issue. "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card"... did you get this sorted? If so, what happened?

Should be there automatically. However, if its not just call to get it sorted out. I had an issue IIRC.

Thanks. Called last week. Was advised that the credit will takes up to 7 days to show in account. The credit show up over the weekend. Seems not an instant thing, do need to give the system a couple of days to update.

I also just received the platinum charge, and tried to sign up for the reserve. I am running into the same issue. "It looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of this Card"... did you get this sorted? If so, what happened?

For those of you receiving this error message, just wondering, do you already have an Explorer card?

I have noticed that, the Reserve card is categorized as 'Reserve or Explorer card'. Don't know if the system is 'smart' enough to find that you have already have a card in that category. Just a guess.

Also, worth well to double check with them to confirm there is no hidden card under your account. Previously, people reported that one of their old card was converted to another type of card, which he didn't aware of. Thus, creates problem for new card application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back