Amex Personal Plat/Business Plat -Does it affect your Centurion Invite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenn.im

Intern
So I was wondering, is it easier to get a Centurion invite if you have an Amex Business Plat or Personal Plat with saying the same amount of expense every year?
I mean does it affect what type of card you own?

The reason I am asking is, I already have an Amex Business Platinum Charge card on my wife's name, and I am planning to get a Personal Amex Platinum Card Card for myself.
I intend to spend about $300k each on both the cards every year. So I was thinking if I should get the Personal Plat charge or Business Plat charge depending on which is an easier way to score Centurion.

What do you guys recommend? My main motive is to earn the Centurion Invite.

Thank You!

My guess is that the Personal Platinum will give you more of a chance. The Centurion is primarily a personal product, so I am not sure how much weight they put on the spend on the Business cards. With the Plat, you do get the "A/C" card, which is a second card in the primary card holders name, which you can then use for work expenses and it is itemised separately on the statements.

I'm not sure on the exact criteria for the invite, but I imagine they look at total spend (so having one card in your name and one card in your wife's wouldn't allow them to see all your spend), the type of spend and the regularity of spend. They do cap the membership, so depending on how many people leave might influence how long it is before the invite comes!

I got the invite last year (and accepted). I'd only had the personal Platinum, plus a Reserve and the Virgin Velocity card. All personal products. Not sure if other people's experiences have been different?

My guess is that the Personal Platinum will give you more of a chance. The Centurion is primarily a personal product, so I am not sure how much weight they put on the spend on the Business cards. With the Plat, you do get the "A/C" card, which is a second card in the primary card holders name, which you can then use for work expenses and it is itemised separately on the statements.

I'm not sure on the exact criteria for the invite, but I imagine they look at total spend (so having one card in your name and one card in your wife's wouldn't allow them to see all your spend), the type of spend and the regularity of spend. They do cap the membership, so depending on how many people leave might influence how long it is before the invite comes!

I got the invite last year (and accepted). I'd only had the personal Platinum, plus a Reserve and the Virgin Velocity card. All personal products. Not sure if other people's experiences have been different?

Thanks for the info.
What's the send additional card for work expenses ? Did not hear about that ? do you know what it is called ?

Thanks for the info.
What's the send additional card for work expenses ? Did not hear about that ? do you know what it is called ?

It's just called the additional card, as far as I know. It has your name on it, followed by "A/C"

Hi Glen,

I know this may be an older thread and you might have already got the info, but my experience was the below:

1. NAB Velocity Plat card... over $1M in the first year on the Velocity card (AMEX and VISA).

2. 12 months after using the NAB Plat card, applied for the AMEX Plat card... no paperwork required, I assume they could see the trnsactions on the velocity AMEX card and I got the plat card within a week.

3. After 11 months and over $1M on the AMEX Plat card, I was invited to Centurion.

Benefit of Centurion is that you get 3 Centurion cards (1 for personal, 1 x for business and 1 x for supplimentary) all with highest status with Hertz, Avis, Shang etc) THEN 4 x supplimentary plat cards (for employees or family or whoever you want - just remember that you are liable for their spend - and they have access to your entire the credit line).

$5K signup and $5 PA.. worth it for me, considering how much I travel and the insurances and the dedicated relationship manager.

Good luck, lemme know how you go.

You likely got your Platinum card because your financial situation made you attractive to Amex.
Bank issued cards are separate to Amex and they do not share personal information so that won't have had any affect on your application.

Spending $1M on a personal card certainly puts you squarely in the Centurion demographic...

might be the wrong thread but Ididnt want to start a new one in case its been asked,

i know centurion has quite high requirements to be eligible,
curious, but if you spent $100k per month , but had no/little assets, or low/no income, is there a monthly spend that might get you an invite?

Yes. Centurion can be issued on turnover.

When the invite came, I was not required to fill in another credit application stating my assets.

I got a phone call asking me if I was interested and if I was OK with the establishment fee and annual fee, then the card came within 2 days.

The $5K establishment and $5K annual fee went onto my first statement.

Just relating my experience with AMEX Platinum and Centurion.

I have operated the personal Platinum Charge card for the last 14 years with around AUD1.2 mil going through it in that time. Always payed off well within the allowed time limit. Never had over AUD30,000 on it at any time.

I have been offered Centurion on three occasions. The first time the invitation came in a beautiful wooden box with two cards already embossed with my name on them. Just call us up and way you go with your Black Centurion!
The second and third times in a slightly less attractive box and a plain un-embossed card inside. I have declined on all occasions as I just could not justify the annual fees. I think when I was first offered it was about AUD2,500 and of course is double that now.

Steve

Just relating my experience with AMEX Platinum and Centurion.

I have operated the personal Platinum Charge card for the last 14 years with around AUD1.2 mil going through it in that time. Always payed off well within the allowed time limit. Never had over AUD30,000 on it at any time.

I have been offered Centurion on three occasions. The first time the invitation came in a beautiful wooden box with two cards already embossed with my name on them. Just call us up and way you go with your Black Centurion!
The second and third times in a slightly less attractive box and a plain un-embossed card inside. I have declined on all occasions as I just could not justify the annual fees. I think when I was first offered it was about AUD2,500 and of course is double that now.

Steve

Thanks for sharing!
Looks like I won't be getting an invite soon:)

Thought my 20k per month was quite impressive

Thanks for sharing!
Looks like I won't be getting an invite soon:)

Thought my 20k per month was quite impressive

I may be wrong SOPOOR but I would think based on 20K a month you would be in the right "territory" to get an invite!

My spend has never averaged that and as I said I have had three invites over the years. In saying that the last invite I received was about five years ago and although my spending pattern hasn't changed, in fact it has probably increased, their eligibility rules may have!

Good luck!

Also contacting them and telling them you are interested helps too. I called up and they said they would 'consider it' then I got the invite a few months later

As mentioned by Steve, Confirming a $5K initiation fee then $5K per year after that.

I think I had my platinum for 15mths and in the first 6 months I had hit the 300k bonus limit so stopped spending on it. Complained at the renewal about some reductions and was suggested the Centurion but said not interested unless they waived the joining fee. Can't remember the full lot of events but 3 months later was offered with no joining fee, which I took up. Averaging about $20-$25k a month I guess.

I may be wrong SOPOOR but I would think based on 20K a month you would be in the right "territory" to get an invite!

My spend has never averaged that and as I said I have had three invites over the years. In saying that the last invite I received was about five years ago and although my spending pattern hasn't changed, in fact it has probably increased, their eligibility rules may have!

Good luck!

I think I had my platinum for 15mths and in the first 6 months I had hit the 300k bonus limit so stopped spending on it. Complained at the renewal about some reductions and was suggested the Centurion but said not interested unless they waived the joining fee. Can't remember the full lot of events but 3 months later was offered with no joining fee, which I took up. Averaging about $20-$25k a month I guess.

thanks, I was just curious

I have an income well below 100k, but in the past ive been offered ridiculous limit increases on visa and master cards due to large spending ,

eg I had 3 cba cards at 80k each, and then merged my limits to 240k, ive cancelled that though..

a fee free centurion would be hilarious!

Good luck!

I would say it depends where you're spending that money. In another post SOPOOR said he had put down $10K at Woolworths - I don't think this would excite the Centurion team.

I would say it depends where you're spending that money. In another post SOPOOR said he had put down $10K at Woolworths - I don't think this would excite the Centurion team.
if I was on the centurion approval team and had to make a smart choice, I certainly wouldnt give me an invite given my purhcases arent luxury or discretionary spending!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back