AMEX options following impending demise of ANZ QFF AMEX Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennWL

Hi everyone

Sorry to begin another thread as this appears to be touched upon on many locations.

I am now a QFF Gold card holder who additionally has held an AMEX Gold charge card since 1985. I rarely use the AMEX charge card nowadays since was getting plenty of points with the ANZ QFF AMEX Black.

I have read offers going around for the Qantas AMEX Ultimate Card and AMEX Platinum, but would having held a charge card for so long disqualify me from the bonus points and status offers ? I am sure AMEX are receiving many enquiries along these lines. Loyalty should be rewarded.

Am I correct to assume that complimentary travel insurance will continue via the ANZ QFF Visa Black ?

Any advice on what card option I should apply for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you

Firstly I assume by QFF Gold card holder you mean you have Qantas Gold Status?

Amex let you hold 2 personal credit cards and one 1 personal credit card at any one time.

The T&C's say you won't get the bonus points if you are an existing customer but.... what "seems" to be the crucial factors from reading the Amex threads are if you haven't held a card that earns into that particular cards Membership Rewards program in the past 18 months and then also being referred for the card rather than applying directly. Correct me if i'm wrong but these will give you the best chance of getting the points as an existing card holder.

So canceling your Gold Charge Card (Ascent MR program) and then applying for the Platinum Charge Card (Ascent Premium MR program) may allow you to earn the sign on bonus points.

Another option would be the Amex Explorer (Gateway MR program), there is some info on the tricks with that card in the wiki on this thread. http://www.australianfrequentflyer....ions/explorer-credit-card-new-amex-77925.html

On rewarding loyalty Amex only do that when you call up and threaten to cancel your card, ask them if there are any retention offers on your cards.

If you need a referral for either of the above, happy to sent through my referral links.

Thanks for the great info, Hammando. Yes, I did mean I have Qantas Gold Status.

I will give AMEX a call during the week and hopefully contact an agent with empathy towards my concerns.

I am not familiar with the referral system but would happily use your links if requested.

If you're after just a general Amex that provides the same points earn rate as the ANZ Black - then review the Westpac Black credit card (comes with Amex & MasterCard) identical to the ANZ. They are pretty much the identical product.
NAB also has a "Platinum" version that competes with the ANZ & Westpac cards but is cheaper as it doesn't have all the additional benefits (but still is identical with the points earn rate).

Perhaps I haven't answered your question and you were after charge cards and not credit cards?

If you're after just a general Amex that provides the same points earn rate as the ANZ Black - then review the Westpac Black credit card (comes with Amex & MasterCard) identical to the ANZ. They are pretty much the identical product.
NAB also has a "Platinum" version that competes with the ANZ & Westpac cards but is cheaper as it doesn't have all the additional benefits (but still is identical with the points earn rate).

Perhaps I haven't answered your question and you were after charge cards and not credit cards?

By all means review the WBC card however be ware that WBC, NAB and CBA are all subject to the same issues as ANZ when it comes to rewards cards.

You would be well advised to sit this out until the other 3 major card issuers have moved which is imminent. Meanwhile use AMEX for as much as you can.

Here's hoping they all won't fold like ANZ!

The cards business are pretty much the same across all the banks. If you look at their cards portfolios, there really isn't much difference except for the sign up bonuses or waiving of annual fees in year 1. They all have the same cost and revenue drivers. Same revolving interest rates (give or take a few points), same everything really.

Here's hoping they all won't fold like ANZ!
Of course they will - Mr Magoo can see this coming.

Noting that NAB has already made their move by the creation of their new Rewards Premium Platinum visa credit card, with their own points program, at the same time other banks have been making their changes.
Also with a hefty signup bonus points offer for *existing* customers, and no more points bonus for Velocity or Qantas point cards, who would sign up for the latter now! Its so easy to see what they are trying to do!

Whilst NAB havent announced the demise of the Amex companion cards on the other products yet, the chances are that they are only going to grandfather it. imagine the furore if you got the card today, and paid an annual fee and they cancel the AMEX a few months later. However unless you are going to be spending a huge amount pa on the companion AMEX, its not going to be worth getting it even if they only grandfather it, if yuo want an NAB card, grab the new one and the $400+ worth of free poiints that comes with it.

Just called AMEX and they would not come to the party at all. The call was clearly taken in a Philippines call centre. Having held a charge card for over 30 years meant nothing towards receiving the bonus points. Even saying I am on the verge of cancelling.
Tempted to apply via a referral link but have not heard of success stories from anybody with a current AMEX card being awarded the bonus/status points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back