AMEX MR transfer bonus - how often is it on, if it's ever on now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

get me outta here

Qantas
LT Silver
Considering cancelling my Amex Edge. Not sure where to transfer the MRs. But, a transfer bonus would be an incentive.

To where?

A number of years ago (7? 8? 9?) Amex MR had a 10% bonus to transfer to Krisflyer and I moved 1.5 million points over. I do not recall one since to Krisflyer as I would have used it if I had seen it....unless I missed it..

Pretty sure there have been some to Velocity. I do not use Velocity much and so do not monitor transfers to it closely but I did use it to book to get to Africa on Eitihad and there was transfer bonus in Nov 2014 which coincided with Velocity having a redemption bonus :)

Last edited:
I was making a general enquiry, but VA would prob suit me. Or SQ if I needed to book soon. I guess Amex sends out email notices of bonus offers. Am keen to get rid of the card anyway, unless they offer me a good sign on inducement. (The $200 flight credit is not of much use, have too many gift vouchers to spend as it is).

I was making a general enquiry, but VA would prob suit me. Or SQ if I needed to book soon. I guess Amex sends out email notices of bonus offers. Am keen to get rid of the card anyway, unless they offer me a good sign on inducement. (The $200 flight credit is not of much use, have too many gift vouchers to spend as it is).

VA offer 15% bonuses pretty regularly which includes transfers from Velocity. If my memory is working correctly I think they've been something like the following (I've done this a few times now):

March 2017: 15%
Nov 2016: 15% (30% if you have Ascent Premium)
May(ish) 2016: 15% (25% if I remember correctly for Ascent Premium holders).

QF transfer come up with similar frequency if you are an MR Ascent Premium holder.

Make of that what you will I guess.

Thanks bluey, it seems as if I've just missed the one in March so my timing is not so good.

QF is not listed as a option for me. I could transfer to VA, but I have enough of those. Is there another route via another program to QF?

QF is not listed as a option for me. I could transfer to VA, but I have enough of those. Is there another route via another program to QF?

I'm in the same situation as you. Wanting to close my Platinum Edge and looking for a place to send my points. CX can be used to redeem QF flights. No way of getting the points directly into QF that I'm aware of.

As others (you included) have said, the current promotion only applies to Velocity Points. I'm guessing your question maybe a more general question though about transfers to QF from AMEX MR?

If so, QF is only an option for MR Ascent Premium Accounts (ie you have a Plat Charge Card), not MR Ascent. Your best options if you want to fly on QF, or OneWorld, are to transfer to CX (1:1) or to AA via SPG (1:0.625 - if transferred in lots of 40k). If this wasn't your question, then my apologies and totally ignore me.

Thanks bluey, just rushing off to JFK and I will have to look at this later once I have time to mull. I think CX may be the go and will try to round it out to 40K lots if that is necessary.

snip... Your best options if you want to fly on QF, or OneWorld, are to transfer to CX (1:1) or to AA via SPG (1:0.625 - if transferred in lots of 40k). If this wasn't your question, then my apologies and totally ignore me.

Thanks bluey, just rushing off to JFK and I will have to look at this later once I have time to mull. I think CX may be the go and will try to round it out to 40K lots if that is necessary.

Yep no need for any trickery to CX 1:1 straight off the bat.

I know that historically November is the time but I'm thinking any time soon would be a good time to offer a bonus for transferring Amex points to VA.

Just received an email from Amex stating there will be a Velocity transfer bonus in ~1d 10h

But late to the party as it closed but I used the 40% VA transfer to move 990,000 points to VA and will use that to top up my KF account as needed. This will gain me 26,333 more points. Not a huge % gain, but as mentioned earlier in this thread I have not seen a direct transfer bonus fora while.

In addition I have not had a loyalty redemption offer for a while and this may have been due to always having 7 figure points balance, or close to it, at renewal time. So later this year when it comes due I will clean out my Amex MR balance that will have built upto KF and then try my luck getting a retention offer.

I have already used 420K of said points for next years J return flights for 2 to Europe.

I’ve done the same transferring most of my MR to SPG before the devaluation. I’m thinking that a large MR balance has meant ‘this guy isn’t going to leave’ and therefore no retention bonus paid.

There could be something to your thinking on the retention bonuses (or lack there of) for those with large points balances. It would make sense to call their bluff as they realistically quite unlikely to leave.

There could be something to your thinking on the retention bonuses (or lack there of) for those with large points balances. It would make sense to call their bluff as they realistically quite unlikely to leave.

Indeed. The sticking point had been that I like KF, but the 3 year shelf life makes it undesirable to move too many points at once there. So the VA 40% transfer bonus provided the opportunity to not only make a small margin, but also the handy feature of giving me an extra stash of points that will eventually go to KF but can be stored there virtually indefinitely as it is so easy to extend the life of all points by small spend at BP, online etc.

So I now have 2 million points parked at Velocity waiting to go to KF eventually.

A bit disappointing... 15% Amex to Velocity, or 20% for Plat Charge/Centurion. It's on for 14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back