Amex MR points More Valuable than Velocity Points For Hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renato1

Established Member
I was comparing booking hotels in Fiji at the same hotel using Amex Member Rewards points and using Virgin Velocity points, at their respective websites. The dollar price of the hotel rooms were exactly the same, on the Amex site and non-points area of the Virgin site, though Virgin was $4 plus 410 Velocity points dearer at the points usage site.

Amex MR points are valued at one cent per point ( $256 per night or 25600 MR per night)

Whereas Velocity Points are valued at 0.65 cents per point ($256 per night (at non-points site) or 40330 Velocity per night or $260 plus 410 points per night at points usage site)

Even taking account of the 15% bonus often offered when transferring MR points to Velocity points, that makes an effective value of 0.75 cents per point when booking the hotel room.

I repeated the exercise for a hotel in Italy, and got the same results.

Given that I get a travel credit each year, and that it is may be handy to use it towards booking a room, I think I might start saving my Member Rewards points to pay for the rest of the room, rather than transferring them to Velocity Points.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Renato

I would never use points of any sort (VFF, QFF, MR etc) to book a hotel as the value gained is extremely poor...

I would never use points of any sort (VFF, QFF, MR etc) to book a hotel as the value gained is extremely poor...
Thanks, but at a cent a point that equates to what one typically gets when using points on domestic and international economy travel.
That's all I've ever used the points for, so the value seems reasonable to me.
Regards,
Renato

They do give a better value for the points when using them for travel, than for some of the other redemption options, that's for sure.

It's 1c per point when booking flights as well.

Thanks, but at a cent a point that equates to what one typically gets when using points on domestic and international economy travel.
That's all I've ever used the points for, so the value seems reasonable to me.
Regards,
Renato

As you are most likely aware, Y reward bookings are also extremely poor value (in most cases).

As you are most likely aware, Y reward bookings are also extremely poor value (in most cases).
Yes, I know that Business class is a lot dearer, and that one gets best value from expending points on that if one can find the seats. But at around 1.4 cents per Velocity point for off-peak, non-discounted domestic economy flights, I think the Velocity points are good value (twice as good as when used for hotels). I have little interest in mucking around trying to find upgrades, and then using up big chunks of my points on those upgrades.

Technically, I could get around 4 cents a Velocity point by booking domestic flights at peak hour when the prices are much higher. But other than for having gotten better value from the points, I wouldn't have gained anything as I prefer travelling at the less crowded off-peak period.
Regards,
Renato

They do give a better value for the points when using them for travel, than for some of the other redemption options, that's for sure.

It's 1c per point when booking flights as well.
Thanks. Yes, Virgin points are better value for flights than for hotels - at least twice as good when comparing domestic economy flights to hotels.
Cheers,
Renato

And for some business class is only worthwhile if you value it that highly.

I'd happily spend 7,800 points for SYD-BNE

Also there's only value in business class if you value business class that highly.

I'd happily spend 7,800 points on a SYD-BNE economy award but I'd seriously balk at spending 15,500 points to book a business class award on the same flight unless that was my only viable option.

I guess we're all different and value things differently.

Reactions: RB
Also there's only value in business class if you value business class that highly.

I'd happily spend 7,800 points on a SYD-BNE economy award but I'd seriously balk at spending 15,500 points to book a business class award on the same flight unless that was my only viable option.

I guess we're all different and value things differently.
Very true. I can't see the point of Business Class on short trips, but others love it.

And while I can see the point of Business Class on long overseas trips, I'm one of those weird people that when I have noise cancelling earphones, I am quite happy passing the time in Economy - I even really like the food in Economy (especially when there are help-yourself- snacks at the back of the plane).
Cheers,
Renato

Very true. I can't see the point of Business Class on short trips, but others love it.
To each their own.

I had 2 hours sleep this morning, actually yesterday morning now. I am now in BKK after a 4:00pm TG flight from SYD in business class using UA miles transferred from hard earned Amex points. What a waste. I slept for around 7 hours of the flight mostly upright but even in bed mode it was uncomfortable.

My reasoning for booking business class was not to sleep. I can sleep just as easily in economy. I wanted to enjoy the business class experience but I didn't. And this is not the first time either. I have wasted whole flights in business class where I have slept through.

We all see things differently and what's important to one person is not important to the next person.

I just completed a 5 week trip where I stayed exclusively at SPGs & Marriotts (transferred from AMEX Gateway points, not booked through the Amex travel site).

I averaged 2.3 cents per point redemption value, with some stays as high as 3.7cents per gateway point. I also have an upcoming stay in Vietnam with a redemption value of 5.5cents per gateway point.

I personally consider these to be an excellent use of MR points but each to their own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back