Amex maximum number of products

Status
Not open for further replies.

opusman

I tried to apply for the DJs Amex and got knocked back because I "already have two active products" (platinum charge card, and free reserve credit card).

A 2 product limit seems very low. Has this always been the case?

Historically it has been 1 charge card + 2 credit cards, surprised they knocked you back as you should still be within the limit, unless it is a new rule?

Dependent upon type, I think it's possible to have 3 AMEX issued cards.

My understanding was always 2 x Charge Cards + 2 x Credit Cards. I need to call AMEX Plat morrow morn so will post back with their response.

Got a Plat Charge, Reserve and Edge but knocked back when applying for the Explorer last year. Perhaps things have changed again with Amex tightening the reigns?

Can report you are permitted to hold max 2 x Charge Cards + 2 x Credit Cards at any one time.

These are direct proprietary cards issued by AMEX regardless of any Bank issued co cards held at same time.

Last edited:
Can report you are permitted to hold max 2 x Charge Cards + 2 x Credit Cards at any one time.

These are direct proprietary cards issued by AMEX regardless of any Bank issued co cards held at same time.

I think, and I could be wrong, that whilst you can hold two simultaneous Charge Cards only one of them can be a personal card, the other has to be a business one. Happy to be corrected on this though.

I think, and I could be wrong, that whilst you can hold two simultaneous Charge Cards only one of them can be a personal card, the other has to be a business one. Happy to be corrected on this though.
I did ask that exact question - 'How many cards can an individual hold?' - the answer - '2 x Charge Cards + 2 x Credit Cards' - I know I asked the exact question quite a few years ago with same answer - so unless call ctr rep off the mark I am extremely confident this is correct.

Is that info published anywhere? The rep I spoke to was quite clear that two products maximum was the limit.

OK just called back and agent I spoke to is adamant that an individual can only hold max 2 x Charge Cards + 1 x Credit Cards at any one time. I asked so why was I told 2 + 2 at 9am this morn by a different agent and who is correct - you now or him earlier? 100% adamant she is correct now.

OK so can I see that in writing anywhere? No sorry Sir - this is AMEX internal policy only - not visible online.

So .......... right about now I give up - 2 + 2 / 2 + 1 or maybe another combo from another call ctr rep - make your own assessment.

Consistency plus plus then! I for one have 1 x Charge and 2 x CC - no problems at all. So that certainly is (or was) a valid combo.

I have had three credit products in my name at the same time. So it seems like depends who speak to/who processes the application ;)

I've always understood the policy to be 2 Charge and 2 Credit cards. When I applied for Explorer already had 2 credit cards, received a text to call and asked to choose which credit card I wanted to cancel as can only have 2 of each type of card.

Yes I wanted Platinum Edge to go with Ultimate so I had to let the Velocity version take the cut. I do have a Premier Rewards card in the US and that didn't count.

I tried to apply for the DJs Amex and got knocked back because I "already have two active products" (platinum charge card, and free reserve credit card).

A 2 product limit seems very low. Has this always been the case?

I applied for the DJs Amex a couple of years back and was declined for the same reason. I had Plat Charge and Plat Edge (free with charge). I was told I could only have 2 Amex cards, and if I wanted the DJs I had to close one of the other accounts. I declined their offer :evil: Since that time I haven't again applied for another Amex product, so don't know if there any has been any recent change, but am interested to be told I can apply for a 3rd or even 4th card.

FWIW - I had to talk to AMEX Plat this morn over another matter so I posed the same question to a 3rd agent - 'How many AMEX products may an individual hold?' - response was 1 x Charge Card + 2 x Credit Cards - individual may hold 1 x Corporate Charge Card also. I advised he was 3rd agent I spoke to and he guarantees he is correct.

I was unable to upload a document that AMEX required so called back to advise - after fixing that prob I requested to be put through to Card Acquisitions team who allegedly do know correct answer. I was informed by Acquisitions team that an individual may hold 1 x Consumer Charge Card + 2 x Consumer Credit Cards. DJ's AMEX may also be held but does not count towards max number of products permitted. Subject to approval by Corporate Cards team an individual may also hold a Corporate Charge Card in addition to the 1 + 2 std max.

Jeez I am over this - last post from me.

Different answer every time you ask then. Anyway I'm not going to bother applying again.

FWIW I have a Plat Charge, Edge, Reserve and an Accelerator. Reserve issued only a couple of months ago. It seems the Accelerator doesn't count as its a business card.

FWIW - I had to talk to AMEX Plat this morn over another matter so I posed the same question to a 3rd agent - 'How many AMEX products may an individual hold?' - response was 1 x Charge Card + 2 x Credit Cards - individual may hold 1 x Corporate Charge Card also. I advised he was 3rd agent I spoke to and he guarantees he is correct.

I was unable to upload a document that AMEX required so called back to advise - after fixing that prob I requested to be put through to Card Acquisitions team who allegedly do know correct answer. I was informed by Acquisitions team that an individual may hold 1 x Consumer Charge Card + 2 x Consumer Credit Cards. DJ's AMEX may also be held but does not count towards max number of products permitted. Subject to approval by Corporate Cards team an individual may also hold a Corporate Charge Card in addition to the 1 + 2 std max.

This is exactly as I understood it to be - you certainly got the run around though - full marks for perseverance. So in summary an individual may hold (subject to credit approvals):

• 1 x Personal Charge Card
  • 2 x Personal Credit Cards (non DJ's)
  • 1 x Business Charge Card
  • 1 x DJ's AMEX Credit Card

used to be only 1 credit and 1 charge, as with all things Amex though policies are flexible for those customers who are deemed the least risky/highest potential profit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back