AMEX lounge Melbourne expected end of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallinch

Just visited the AMEX Syd lounge and asked the attendant if there were plans for a Melbourne AMEX lounge. She said they're intending to have one open by the end of the year! :)

Last edited:
Wow good rumor. I really hope it comes true. I like the syd AMEX lounge and it would be great to have access to a second one in Australia (esp beneficial given our lack of Priority Pass Lounges)

So are we talking domestic or international? And where would it fit?
Well NZ are currently in temp situation in old United Lounge and are heading back downstairs when renos finished aren't they?

OK from the horses mouth - NZ heading back downstairs end April when renos finished - to best knowledge girls on NZ desk an independent / Priority Pass is taking over old United after NZ exit - maybe some JV. When UA had that Lounge whilst it wasn't designated PP lounge they had loose agreement with both PP and Amex to admit those pax brash enough to front up and insist on entry.

The fullness of time time tells no lies.

that would be so awesome, I havent been to sydney for 10 years and dont intend tobut having a melbourne one I would use multiple times per year,

I assume you can use it as many times as you want???

that would be so awesome, I havent been to sydney for 10 years and dont intend tobut having a melbourne one I would use multiple times per year,

I assume you can use it as many times as you want???

Currently Amex lounges have unlimited access (for cardholder +2 guests or immediate family) for the Centurion and Plat Charge. Some others (Reserve, QF Ultimate, VF Plat, DJ Plat, bank Black cards) give 2 visits per year, I think without guesting rights.I dont think the Edge counts. Good benefit of Charge for me with family of 6 living in SYD, given guest restrictions in airline lounges

... When UA had that Lounge whilst it wasn't designated PP lounge they had loose agreement with both PP and Amex to admit those pax brash enough to front up and insist on entry. ...
Actually, for a long time the MEL UA lounge was the only designated PP lounge in Oz. (Not very useful as the lounge was only open for a few hours a day before the single daily 747 flight via SYD to SFO.)

That ended when the PP/UA relationship worldwide was terminated several years ago.

Some others (Reserve, QF Ultimate, VF Plat, DJ Plat, bank Black cards) give 2 visits per year, I think without guesting rights.I dont think the Edge counts.

You can use your two "passes" for yourself and a guest with those cards.

Currently Amex lounges have unlimited access (for cardholder +2 guests or immediate family) for the Centurion and Plat Charge. Some others (Reserve, QF Ultimate, VF Plat, DJ Plat, bank Black cards) give 2 visits per year, I think without guesting rights.I dont think the Edge counts. Good benefit of Charge for me with family of 6 living in SYD, given guest restrictions in airline lounges

You can use your two "passes" for yourself and a guest with those cards.

I wonder if supp cards are treated as separate

One more question
For cards that have 2 per year

Is it 2 per calendar year or something else

I received an email announcing a number of changes to my corporate amex (most of which are uninteresting).

But halfway down, I noticed this...

American Express Melbourne Airport Lounge Opening
It is our pleasure to announce that the brand new American Express Melbourne Airport Lounge is now part of the Corporate Card Program.

Has anyone actually tried to access the lounge with a corporate card? The website shows ineligible, but the way this is phrased seems to imply you could access with a corporate card (though maybe only a platinum corporate card, which neither I nor anyone at my company has).

Odd wording...

as anyone actually tried to access the lounge with a corporate card?

I'm interested in this one as well. I've got the standard Green Amex Corporate card which until now carried no lounge benefits. I'm also wondering why they would allow access to MEL but not SYD? Also that emails mentions the Vivid Sydney lounge at the cruise terminal. I'm presuming it's a pay bar but the food (canapes presumably, or Jatz & a tub of French Onion) is comped?

ok so I tried the Amex Melbourne Lounge for the first time, ive never tried the Sydney lounge plus I have not much to compare to

I went in with a bit too high expectations, however, its for free and I enjoyed it, I ill put in a few photos later

Imgur

Receptionists were super happy, they were almost as happy as I was to be there,
Screen with what cards are accepted
they reiterate that they wont call you for your flight which is fair enough
Was expecting a full lounge but there was only 2 people
Was expecting a few windows but no natural light
Was a lot smaller than I expected
Drink Selection was good
Service was good, the staff said anytime you want a drink just come and get me
Toilets nice and clean
Everything was neat and clean
Food was probably the biggest dissappointment,
cheese and salad section was good, hot food was luke warm pasta, dried lasagne, rice, a toasted sandwich maker with bread placed next to it
there was a self serve pancake maker machine that ive never seen, you press the button the machine squirts out mix onto a conveyaer belt and it spits the pancake out the side about 30 seconds later (sorry no pics)

if I had to pay a decent price id be disappointed but for free its decent, $20-$30 id be happy to pay, not more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back