Amex free flight upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

random111

Intern
I'm looking at booking our free flight from the plat reserve card from Mel - per return. I understand they get booked into T or R class as a saver fare. My question is can this be upgraded to a flexi fare by paying the difference between te two, I tried asking amex they seemed to not know and said try virgin. I tried virgin and the person I spoke to didn't even know amex offer free flights. I tried again but no luck. Anyone know? Reason being we want to use points to upgrade to business. Can T or R class be upgraded to business?

Thanks

You will have to book the flight with AMEX, and you should be able to pay for the difference between the saver and the flexi fare. Either via the card, or by points.

The upgrade to business will then have to be requested via Virgin I would think.

I have upgraded the Amex free flight back when it was on QF and it was just a case of paying the fare difference between the (QF) O class fare and a business class fare. You might just have to find the right person at Amex to sort this out.

If I could interject; ever since the Platinum credit card switched to Virgin, paid upgrades no longer work. This is because the Virgin flight is booked under a redemption fare basis, of which Amex receives their own allotment.

I doscovered this recently when I redeemed a last minute flight to Bali. Virgin fares were upwards of $700 return, but it was no problem booking a seat because there was still R class allotment available.

So, unlike the previous Qantas deal where seats were booked in O class, but could be upgraded to a higher yielding fare, the Virgin offer is booked as a redemption seat, with no applicable fare value.

Re-opening an old thread - I've been putting off using my free DJ flight because it sounds like a complete PITA to use as I want to upgrade it ... not all that interested in it otherwise.

Anyway, so an opportunity has appeared and I made a few phone calls.

1st call was to VA as I'd previously rung Amex ages ago and they told me that they book a simple saver fare and then its up to VA/Velocity to upgrade it. So, called VA, who said that they couldn't help me as Amex is the travel agent in this instance and that upgrades are quite possible but Amex would need to do it. The VA CSR said that Amex would book me into R or T class as a saver, then upgrade me, for a fee ($80) + fare difference to a Full Flex (Y). Once I have a flexi booking VA would upgrade me using points or money to J

Righto, so called Amex and told them the story. They flat out told me that these free tickets only book into R & T and that no upgrade to Flexi was possible by them. For gods sakes!

Rang VA back, different CSR this time, and the story is now that yes, VA could upgrade a saver (in R or T class) to Flex for $80 via the phone or $60 via the web site + fare difference. I inquired further about this, because as Amex is the "Travel Agent" it seemed pretty unlikely to me that I would then be allowed by VA to manage my own booking ... via the website no less ... seems extremely unlikely. The CSR said that Amex will simply use the website themselves to do the booking and so long as I have the PNR I'll be fine.

Well, I'm full of doubt frankly. I can already predict the future on this one. I'll book the Saver/free fare, go to the next step and everyone will be surprised I can't then do what they just told me I could do and I'll be left annoyed and with a non changeable saver fare.

Someone else must have gone the extra mile already and not only talked to VA/Amex about it but actually tried to upgrade their 'free' ticket .... any advice out there?

Someone else must have gone the extra mile already and not only talked to VA/Amex about it but actually tried to upgrade their 'free' ticket .... any advice out there?

No advice here, but I'm very keen to hear the answer.

Hi Guys,

Have been down this road for two bookings. Only way around it is to book the trip with Amex, then ask them to cancel them and receive a Virgin credit. Then use the credit to book flex fare and then ring Virgin and upgrade. It seems painful but the credit amount nearly covered the cost of the flexi for me on both trips so pretty happy with the result. Business class trips paid by AMEX:)

Rang VA back, different CSR this time, and the story is now that yes, VA could upgrade a saver (in R or T class) to Flex for $80 via the phone or $60 via the web site + fare difference. I inquired further about this, because as Amex is the "Travel Agent" it seemed pretty unlikely to me that I would then be allowed by VA to manage my own booking ... via the website no less ... seems extremely unlikely. The CSR said that Amex will simply use the website themselves to do the booking and so long as I have the PNR I'll be fine.

Well, I'm full of doubt frankly. I can already predict the future on this one. I'll book the Saver/free fare, go to the next step and everyone will be surprised I can't then do what they just told me I could do and I'll be left annoyed and with a non changeable saver fare.

If Amex do book the fare for you, there is no way you will be able to change it yourself online. IME, the booking gets pretty locked down on the Virgin site and just says that any changes need to be done through Amex.

And I do mean any changes. Even seat selection was not available online to me.

If Amex do book the fare for you, there is no way you will be able to change it yourself online. IME, the booking gets pretty locked down on the Virgin site and just says that any changes need to be done through Amex.

And I do mean any changes. Even seat selection was not available online to me.

Just to add to that, the DJ website wouldn't even show me the booking itinerary when I used the free flight last year.

Sent from the Throne

Have been down this road for two bookings. Only way around it is to book the trip with Amex, then ask them to cancel them and receive a Virgin credit. Then use the credit to book flex fare and then ring Virgin and upgrade. It seems painful but the credit amount nearly covered the cost of the flexi for me on both trips so pretty happy with the result. Business class trips paid by AMEX:)

Oh, thats very interesting. I wouldn't have thought of this because I managed to convince myself, skimming through the Amex T&C that these tickets could not be cancelled... thanks for the heads-up.

I might try this - not much to lose as if I can't upgrade it probably won't use it and it will simply become 'breakage'.

Does the below sound like the process you used?

1) Book "free" flight with Amex
2) Call the next day, and cancel the booking. Is the credit shell created immediately do you know? Or is it best to wait a few days/weeks?
3) Call VA, ensure that flexi upgrades to Q class are available for the route. If they are then book a flexi using existing credit shell reference number
4) 2 microseconds after getting the booking reference get onto the Velocity website and upgrade the flexi to Business using points.

Experiences much appreciated.

Hi Moopere,

Youve got it:) It did take a few days for Amex to email me the details of the cancellation and the credit shell reference number. There was also a modest cancellation fee of $30 I think. After purchasing the flexi I am still acrrying a credit with Virgin for a few dollars.

I actually spoke to Virgin to confirm there was upgrade availability vefore I booked the flexi on those flights so I wouldnt buy the flexis and not be able to upgrade using my platinum.

Hi Moopere,

Youve got it:) It did take a few days for Amex to email me the details of the cancellation and the credit shell reference number. There was also a modest cancellation fee of $30 I think. After purchasing the flexi I am still acrrying a credit with Virgin for a few dollars.

Cancellation (and date change fee) is either $80 AFAIR. I wanted to change the date of my free flight but once I heard it's $80 I changed my mind.

I've been putting off using my free DJ flight....

Slightly OT but don't put it off too long; they gave me slightly conflicting advice as to when I could book mine then when I rang to book was told too late, so I missed out that year. Refused any refund.

Also I think they said the booking change fee was going up to $60 from memory?

I have only ever been quoted $80 to change and a fare loss if cancelled. How big was your credit ? Being a saver fare supplied in bulk to Amex I would have thought it was worth next to nothing even before taking out fees.

Last edited:
My flights were Perth to Sydney so over $400 each by memory for the time I was flying so worked well

My flights were Perth to Sydney so over $400 each by memory for the time I was flying so worked well

I am pretty tempted to give it a go. I am surprised they actually sent you a copy of the credit shell rather than use it themselves.

I suppose I should ask what card you use. It might actually make all the difference. Mine is a Platinum Edge.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread.

A colleague has the Amex beginning 376087 and thought the complimentary return flight was with Qantas. Is this correct? If so, what fare bucket does the flight book into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back