Amex free flight features/conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

leemin

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
I've just redeemed my free flight today with Amex (Plat Edge CC). The itinerary from Amex shows:

Meal Service Food-Bev/Pur

Does anybody know what this means? Is food included on Savers booked by Amex? Flights are MEL-ADL-MEL, at 1610 and 0650 respectively.

Also, does anybody know whether it is possible to pay to upgrade to Flexi to then take advantage of the half price points upgrade?

The itinerary from Amex shows:

Meal Service Food-Bev/Pur

Does anybody know what this means? Is food included on Savers booked by Amex? Flights are MEL-ADL-MEL, at 1610 and 0650 respectively.

Looks like you'll have to purchase food and drink to me. I didn't pay attention to the food conditions of the Amex freebie on my edge, I only know that baggage is meant to be included.

Also, does anybody know whether it is possible to pay to upgrade to Flexi to then take advantage of the half price points upgrade?

I'd say yes. This thread should be of interest to you: http://www.australianfrequentflyer....x-free-flight-upgrade-34297-8.html#post639614

I did it in early June. Cancel the free flight booking, gain a credit (now with amex not virgin, see the thread), use the credit to book a flexi then upgrade the flexi to J at half points. I thought the half price points promotion was finished however????

No meal included. It is basically a saver fare with baggage allowance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

Thanks to all for the clarification

I'd forgotten about that thread, thanks. Probably should've booked a PER-BNE to cancel and gain the credit... :(

Next year!

I thought the half price points promotion was finished however????
It WAS. Another one has very, very quietly started! :)

See:
Domestic flight offer - Upgrade for half the Velocity Points when you upgrade a domestic Flexi Fare and fly between 1 August and 31 December 2012.
- http://www.velocityrewards.com.au/content/Redeem/FlightUpgrades/index.htm

So in effect, I think upgrades have/will be half price for nearly all of 2012. I think it's clever, it certainly makes me buy Flexi fares (when I'm paying) to then upgrade. At full points price, not always going to be the case.

I remember reports a while ago that you could Co-pay when booking the flight and have it booked as a flexi. Not sure if still possible, but should avoid the high Amex change fee.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

It WAS. Another one has very, very quietly started! :)

See:
- Redeem Points for a Flight Upgrade | Velocity Frequent Flyer

So in effect, I think upgrades have/will be half price for nearly all of 2012. I think it's clever, it certainly makes me buy Flexi fares (when I'm paying) to then upgrade. At full points price, not always going to be the case.

Thanks for the heads-up. I managed to miss that somehow.

I remember reports a while ago that you could Co-pay when booking the flight and have it booked as a flexi. Not sure if still possible, but should avoid the high Amex change fee.
Another thing to add to the list of possibilities for next year. That'll teach me for being in a hurry

Thanks for the heads-up. I managed to miss that somehow.
No worries, it was deep in AFF somewhere that I found out myself. Plus I had to read the page twice to find where it mentioned the offer. I'm 90% sure it wasn't bold a few days ago

Upon visiting the Velocity website just now, I've discovered the prominence has increased somewhat:
ImageUploadedByAustFreqFly1344258132.822685.jpg

Has anyone successfully cancelled the 'free' flight and rebooked since the Virgin credit change? Do you definitely get SCs still? Do you get much value from the credit?
I've read Moopere's posts but it seems they haven't actually done it completely via the new process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back