Amex (existing customer) balance transfer and purchase rate offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMac

I've recently completely paid off an Amex (held directly with Amex, not through a bank) which had been maxed-out for quite some time.

As renewal with an annual fee cost is coming up soon, I'm trying to decide if I should keep the card for any possible offers.

Has anyone recently had any targetted balance transfer or lower purchase rate offers?

I'm aware of the ongoing "Offers & Places" area on the Amex site although none of those really ever match my shopping habits.

Cheers.

I've recently completely paid off an Amex (held directly with Amex, not through a bank) which had been maxed-out for quite some time.

As renewal with an annual fee cost is coming up soon, I'm trying to decide if I should keep the card for any possible offers.

Has anyone recently had any targetted balance transfer or lower purchase rate offers?

I'm aware of the ongoing "Offers & Places" area on the Amex site although none of those really ever match my shopping habits.

Cheers.

Welcome aboard TMac. Which Amex card do you have?

I don't recall having received any balance transfer offers with Amex, but I would not be utilising my Amex card for this purpose anyway because it is my best card for points earning.

I have taken up balance transfer offers on a couple of other cards - Virgin Money Flyer card, which I've tried to cancel for the past couple of years, but have retained when they have comp'd the annual fee, offered bonus points and also 15 month balance transfer. The other card I used was a bank issued (NAB) card that I signed up for the generous bonus points, low annual fee and the balance transfer offer. Once the balance transfer period expired, I dumped the card.

When I have taken up a balance transfer offer, I never use the card for spending. There are plenty of low rate, low annual fee cards that have 0% balance transfer offers.

Welcome to AFF TMac!

I recently had a low(ish) balance transfer offer on my Amex Platinum rewards credit card. I didn't act on it quickly enough and called a few days too late.

They could not honour the balance transfer but I was offered 2.99% on purchases for 6 months which I accepted and the icing on the cake was when she offered to update my credit card so that payments are applied to highest interest first.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

robd, I've got a Gold Amex - might be under a different product name for new customers. Horrible interest rate - would have switched to a Low Rate card with them long ago if they allowed that without a full application. Due to other debts I'm currently paying down, I'm unfortunately not in a position to do that nor apply for cards elsewhere for a little while.

JohnK, based on your experiences, I think I'll keep this account open just in case. I used to have access to balance transfer offers all the time until they took them all off their site when the GFC hit. Also still got some lower purchase rate offers up to 2013, although my card being near limit since then kept me off their offer radar. Since paying it down to $0 and not using it at all (for a couple of months now), the "Offers & Places" area has filled-up constantly with retail cashback deals.

I have periodically (every ~six months) had low interest BT offers from Amex. Never taken them up on them on the offer so that's probably why they keep sending them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back