Amex cuts fees for small businesses to double its presence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on past experience, do we think this will mean small businesses will:

• Reduce their surcharge for amex?
  • Maintain their surcharge and pocket the difference?

Although past experience would suggest the 2nd, come July 1 isn't it now illegal so they will have to do the former? For the health of Amex it can only be a good thing but longer term surely this would learn towards lowering earn rates?

Well I used my Amex today. And the fee was .8%. Where it used to be 2.4 %

I'm not convinced Amex should be doing this to chase 'universal' acceptance. I'm only interested in Amex for the extra points. Otherwise no need to go out of my way to use Amex. As cardholders we either get points for 'free' or decide whether the surcharge is worth it. I put 95%+ of my spending through Amex so I don't think they have an acceptance problem.
Amex is my first choice payment method for obvious reasons. If they had to devalue the points to get closer to universal acceptance, I'd need to reconsider the extra effort I go to in order to Charge stuff to my Amex. I'd rather put everything on one card like MC/Visa with universal acceptance so I only have one account to reconcile and keep track of every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back