AMEX (Ascent) Membership Rewards - Most versatile transfer partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartblaa

Hi all. I'm familiar with the AMEX ascent MR programme, and the various transfer partners, eg Krisflyer, AsiaMiles.

I'm planning to take a temporary hiatus from AMEX cards, and have a small amount (15k) points to transfer out before card cancellation. I don't have planned travel or a booking in mind.

My question is, which of AMEXs transfer partners is the most versatile to bank on for future use, or even onward transfer into another program? (Will most likely use them within 12-18 months

Thanks in advance for your help!

Smartblaa

Depending on the intention of use and what membership account you have, my pick:
VA for domestic redemption
SQ for international redemption
SPG to bank the points for now (though you'll lose half the points) and decide later. Could also use them for hotel stay.

Hi all. I'm familiar with the AMEX ascent MR programme, and the various transfer partners, eg Krisflyer, AsiaMiles.

I'm planning to take a temporary hiatus from AMEX cards, and have a small amount (15k) points to transfer out before card cancellation. I don't have planned travel or a booking in mind.

My question is, which of AMEXs transfer partners is the most versatile to bank on for future use, or even onward transfer into another program? (Will most likely use them within 12-18 months

Thanks in advance for your help!

Smartblaa

SPG is extremely versatile (especially with ability to convert via Marriott) but you take a cut in points and SPG likely to finish by 2018 in current form.
VF is versatile but I find AM and KF most valuable.
MH only advantage is availability. EK/NZ comparitively poor value.
EY quite good for medium-haul redemptions on VA.
Thai nothing special. VS hard to use
Personally I'd transfer to SPG but KF/AM decent options if no danger of letting them expire

Ps: had a bit of a think and SPG can be tricky to top up unless you have Amex or Diners. Maybe your next card's transfer partners should influence your decision

PPs:it is possible to keep your points by changing to to an MR card with a lower fee but I'm guessing you are planning to go back after a break for sign-on bonuses.

Last edited:
While it depends on how you want to use the points (e.g. domestic or international flights?) I would say KrisFlyer is the best all-round. You also have the option to transfer to Velocity if needed, and vice versa if transferring from Amex to Velocity.

Thanks everyone. I think that maybe KF could be the best bet for me. I will likely be flying again internationally in the next 12-18 months, I just haven't locked in plans yet.
SPG was my other preference, while banking them sounds good, I may take too much of a hit in the process.

Thanks again, and happy new year!

Depending on the intention of use and what membership account you have, my pick:
VA for domestic redemption
SQ for international redemption
SPG to bank the points for now (though you'll lose half the points) and decide later. Could also use them for hotel stay.

Other threads have spoken about using Explorer + Platinum to have 2 MR programs links in the account for better transfer rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back