Status
Not open for further replies.

knagelli

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
I am in the process of applying for AMEX Platinum Charge Card application and it is asking me for information on other cards that I hold currently.

The cards that I currently hold are Coles/Virgin Money Flyer Card , however both of the providers are not listed in the list of financial institutions. Did anyone face this issue and how to cross this hurdle and submit the application.

Any points are highly appreciated.

Both are issued by Citibank, so you can say that.

My VA High Flyer card comes up as "CITIBANK UNSECURED CREDIT AU" on my credit file.

@BillytheFIsh Thanks.

I will also probably check my credit file to see if there is any mention of this.

I applied for an American Express Velocity Card today and selected 'NO' if I held other cards with financial institutions when I do have 1 other and was still approved on the spot.

I applied for an American Express Velocity Card today and selected 'NO' if I held other cards with financial institutions when I do have 1 other and was still approved on the spot.
Amex have a long history of not checking.

The other thing I noticed is that depending on the credit reporting agency you may still have active cards showing even though they are closed.

Not sure of the timeframe for a drop off, but it could also ultimately impact your eligibility for a card if it is checked.

Amex have a long history of not checking.

But I believe they do check your credit history and it will anyway give your credit profile. I might be wrong in assuming they check your credit profile but without checking your past credit history , how will they know about our credit worthiness ? I also happened to apply for AMEX Plat Charge Card and have selected Yes as was assuming it will anyway come up in credit profile. Cheers

… The cards that I currently hold are Coles/Virgin Money Flyer Card , however both of the providers are not listed in the list of financial institutions. Did anyone face this issue and how to cross this hurdle and submit the application ..
Both are issued by Citibank, so you can say that ...

Yes, similar to Qantas credit card. It's just a product name. The credit provider is Citi.

But I believe they do check your credit history and it will anyway give your credit profile.
I say again, AMEX have a long history of not checking.

Every time I have applied for an AMEX card, including recently, there has never been a hit to my credit file.

Every time I have applied for an AMEX card, including recently, there has never been a hit to my credit file.
I found when I applied for the Charge card they didn't check (I already had an Edge and Explorer) but then when I added the Reserve companion card they did run a check. YMMV but I think if you don't currently hold a card with them then they're much more likely to check.

I think if you don't currently hold a card with them then they're much more likely to check.

Last year I signed up for an Explorer, and two months later a Platinum Edge. I'd never held an Amex issued card before, and they checked both times.
I had multiple other cards but knew only one of them showed up on my credit reports, so that's the only one I listed.

Of course with more and more banks reporting "payment history" it means cards are now showing on my report that weren't previously, so that trick probably won't work anymore.

This depends very much on whether you have had an Amex reasonably recently, ie yes you have had a card they rely on their own records, if not they go to the bureau. As a prolific churner your profile and experience may not be typical.

This depends very much on whether you have had an Amex reasonably recently, ie yes you have had a card they rely on their own records, if not they go to the bureau. As a prolific churner your profile and experience may not be typical.
That's not what i am hearing/seeing.

I read somewhere that in the US for example American Express actually does not run another credit check on you if you already hold history with American Express and it limits down the hard enquiries. Already, they conduct monthly checks on you as it is to ensure you do not have outstanding defaults, if you end up having a default listed they block you rather quickly from accessing the funds on your card for up to 6 months.

I am unsure of how American Express works but I would assume if you retain history with American Express you would get your answer pretty much straight away, never default on American Express though as you will find it very difficult to obtain new finance through them again, if ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back