AMEX and DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTMA

Qantas
Platinum
From what I read, AMEX have forbidden the charging of DCC when one pays in Australian Dollars. So, if I buy an airfare from Amex travel, which is for inter-European travel, and they show me the price in Australian Dollars, does this mean that they will charge the exact A$ price to my (Amex) card with no 3.5% DCC?

Anyone have direct knowledge or experience on this?

Guess I should phone Amex travel on Monday to be certain.

im sure you'll still pay the amex commission - not sure what will happen to the DCC but likely it will go through at the local rate and Amex will exchange and apply commission

im sure you'll still pay the amex commission - not sure what will happen to the DCC but likely it will go through at the local rate and Amex will exchange and apply commission

No, there's no commission as I understand it. I mean if you pay in Australian Dollars then no fees are supposed to be charged. As per

Foreign transaction fee
A Foreign Transaction Fee is payable as a percentage of the Australian dollar value of any Foreign Transaction. The percentage will vary depending on the applicable credit card scheme:
1. Transactions in foreign currency
MasterCard®: 3.0%
American Express®: 3.5%
2. Transactions in Australian dollars and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located overseas:
MasterCard®: 3.0%
American Express®: 0.0%
Note: It may not always be clear to you that the Merchant or entity processing the transaction is located outside Australia. More about this fee.

What I'm looking for is a response with first hand knowledge.

hmmm had a look at my amex and that seems to be the case - Linkedin for example bills in AUD but is Singapore based, no commission charged...

27 DEC 16LINKEDIN SG - ONLINE - SINGAPORE
$29.99
DOING BUSINESS AS
LINKEDIN SG - ONLINE - AUD-USD
SINGAPORE

DATE PROCESSED:
28 DEC 16

Versus a transaction in USD

25 DEC 16PAYPAL*PHILOGIFTS 4029357733
$71.98
DOING BUSINESS AS
PAYPAL